GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wing has been so much fun I thought I could do without a sport bike, but I really miss my gixxer. My back doesn't, so I thought I'd get something a little less extreme ergonomically. All the reviews on this thing are great, but I'd like to hear from my friends.

Of course, most of my miles will still be on the Wing.

I've just got to scratch this itch.

I think there must be something wrong with me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nothing wrong with you. I've got a 2000 ZX-12, which is likely the antithesis of a Wing. It's a bit raw, nasty (very light crank and a bit cammy), and wicked fast (unrestricted top speed). I added a pipe, velocity stacks, clutch basket, ignition advance, PCIII, etc. just to make it even more over the top. It's my sport touring platform.

Anyway, there is at least one board member here with a '14. His avatar has him on a track day.

Bottom line, get one. You'll really like it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The big “Z”is on my “dream-sheet”. Who knows, maybe in 2010 maybe the ABS:yes1: will be available on ‘em stateside. If so, one will be on my short list. If not, then the C14 will be on my short list. Wife loves the wing. But, I miss my “sport-touring”:cool: on my FJR.

I’ve ridden some C14’s and, IMO, they are smooth. The big “Z”, OTOH, according to some of the posts that I’ve read, is even smoother that the C14.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Is someone looking for a heads up on the 14? Most Wingers don't wanna hear my raves about another bike. It's been parked for two months now is 1 year and 3 months old and has 14000 miles on the clock. Fire away and I'll give you honest answers or P.M. me. Dr. Blackbird of this forum is buying one. Chazzman of this forum has been asking me about and looking at one. Snarley Bill also has a ZX-14. I'm not sure who else but there are a couple of other guys.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I'd love to give you a review, but have not ridden one. I was gretting to be friends with a guy who has one, and he told me I could ride it. I guess when I told him I would take him up on that, he decide to move over a thousand miles away. ;)

Anyway, I've heard they are a great bike. The other similar bike I sort of have the hots for right now is a BMW K1300S. A little more money, but they seem to fit me well (based upon the K1200S I have ridden).

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I'd love to give you a review, but have not ridden one. I was getting to be friends with a guy who has one, and he told me I could ride it. I guess when I told him I would take him up on that, he decide to move over a thousand miles away. ;)

Hey you snooze you loose Jim. :p No really the offer is still good, just a little longer trip. Didn't you ride Barrys Busa though? If not, ride it before he swaps it in on that new Ducati. It won't have quite the power or comfort of my 14 but it is a very similar bike.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Hey you snooze you loose Jim. :p No really the offer is still good, just a little longer trip. Didn't you ride Barrys Busa though? If not, ride it before he swaps it in on that new Ducati. It won't have quite the power or comfort of my 14 but it is a very similar bike.
I have not ridden his Busa. But we took both of his bikes up to the dealer last Saturday to have them appraised as trades. Barry told me I could ride either bike. I said I'd ride the Valkyrie up and the Busa back.

Well, both of them stayed at the dealer as trades and they gave us a ride home. Truthfully though, I have ridden two other Busas so it was no big deal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've have an '06 ZX14. Fun bike and very, very fast. I ran out of balls at about 140, the bike was still pulling. Very smooth power and great breaks. My longest day was about 200+ miles. The riding position isn't bad once you're rolling but a little hard on my wrists in stop and go traffic. But then again I'll be 62 this March.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a ZX-12 and I rode the 14 a few months ago; big mistake. That bike is incredible. It makes power in every gear and it does everything effortlessly. Just too hard on my wrists and hands at my age.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A good alternative to the Kaw, which doesn't involve the pain if a sportbike is a Suzuki B King. It's a Hayabusa without the plastic, but also with an upright riding position, very comfortable, but also very, very fast. These bikes haven't been selling very well, and you can get one for about $9k-9.5K, which is about $4k off MRSP. They've really got an intriguing look, and you either love the look or hate it, but they're great performing, comfortable bikes. I had 2 FJRs and a Concours 14 before buying the B King, and I like the B King better than the FJRs or the Concours.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I had a ZX-12 and I rode the 14 a few months ago; big mistake. That bike is incredible. It makes power in every gear and it does everything effortlessly. Just too hard on my wrists and hands at my age.

I'm no kid, I run risers on mine and do 400 mile days with no pain. Now I prefer the riding position over the Wings totally upright one.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I have an '06 ZX14. Fun bike and very, very fast. I ran out of balls at about 140, the bike was still pulling. Very smooth power and great breaks. My longest day was about 200+ miles. The riding position isn't bad once you're rolling but a little hard on my wrists in stop and go traffic. But then again I'll be 62 this March.
Nice, I hope to still be on a high performance machine at 62 myself. Get some Gen-mar risers to eliminate the wrist fatigue. I agree the brakes are some of the best out there but are needed to haul you down from light speed. 140 eh, must of still been in 4th gear.;) Is yours still stock?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Wing has been so much fun I thought I could do without a sport bike, but I really miss my gixxer. My back doesn't, so I thought I'd get something a little less extreme ergonomically. All the reviews on this thing are great, but I'd like to hear from my friends.

Nothing wrong with the need to scratch an itch. I have an '03 R1 for my "other" bike. Street legal drag bike actually. Here's a pic of it. The ZX-14 is sure popular around my area. Mostly for the drag strip but lots of them on the raod too. Very, very powerful bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. Teaser, I don't really have specific questions. I know about the frame issues, a few failures of rod bearings, the recommendation to remove the secondary flies for more low end torque, etc.

I have a very long spine and very short arms and legs. I even lean forward a bit on the Wing. I like leaning forward with my feet under or behind me. I've certainly never wanted risers on the Wing.

The Gixxer was getting to be pretty uncomfortable though, as I am an old fat guy. I've read that the ZX-14's riding position was "humane", in the reviews. I can get a 2007 stock, with 3,000 miles in absolute showroom new condition for around $7,000. That seems like a really decent value to me. I'm assuming the risers as a given.

So with that, I guess any peccadilloes or anecdotal information I can get would be good.

TIA

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Thanks all. Teaser, I don't really have specific questions. I know about the frame issues, a few failures of rod bearings, the recommendation to remove the secondary flies for more low end torque, etc.

I have a very long spine and very short arms and legs. I even lean forward a bit on the Wing. I like leaning forward with my feet under or behind me. I've certainly never wanted risers on the Wing.

The Gixxer was getting to be pretty uncomfortable though, as I am an old fat guy. I've read that the ZX-14's riding position was "humane", in the reviews. I can get a 2007 stock, with 3,000 miles in absolute showroom new condition for around $7,000. That seems like a really decent value to me. I'm assuming the risers as a given.

So with that, I guess any peccadilloes or anecdotal information I can get would be good.

TIA

The frame inspection recall was concerning overtorqued swingarms. I only heard of one bike overseas that had a cracked. I had mine done, it was a time consuming hassle but had to be done. It was a-ok.

The secondarily throttle plate (flies) removal mod is very effective on 06 or 07 bikes not so much with 08 and 09. Kawa reworked the throttle bodies and the ECM opens the secondaries much sooner on them.

I believe there were a few documented cases of a #3 rod bearing and or cap being assembled backwards, not oiling properly, and failing but it seems to be an exception.

I've gone about as far as I can with mine without going turbo, it's just simply a blast to ride.

Don't wanna kid you though, a 600 or maybe even litre bike gonna carry a slight handling advantage.

BTW that sounds like a helluva deal, I'd snatch it up for that price.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Before buying the Wing I test drove the new Kawasaki Concours. I was very impressed. It handled well, had fantastic brakes, good wind protection, and was insanely powerful compared to all but the most radical bikes. It also had a compromised riding position, not hunched over with your chest on the tank or bolt upright, sort of a midway position. It has hard bags and a trunk is optional, electric windshield is standard. Too bad they don't make a real touring bike by giving it cruise control, a radio/cb and intercom. I miss the kick in the pants that I got from my Kawasaki ZRX1200 or my Yamaha FZ1. But momma wouldn't ride on anything but the wing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
:wink: Is yNice, I hope to still be on a high performance machine at 62 myself. Get some Gen-mar risers to eliminate the wrist fatigue. I agree the brakes are some of the best out there but are needed to haul you down from light speed. 140 eh, must of still been in 4th gear.ours still stock?
It's bone stock with the exception of a tank bag that I have wired up for a starcom, radar detector and a ipod. I thought about doing the flies thing, a pipe and power commander but the bike is so nice as it is I left it alone. I'm retiring this spring. With some soft luggage I plan on using it as a fast sport tourer.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Close... I have the Concours 1400. Most of the power of the ZX with slightly more friendly ergonomics and saddlebags. With the higher bars and adjustable windshield 500 mile runs are no problem.

Tim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts