GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a flat on my Kumho run flat yesterday on I40 west bound about 5 or 6 miles east of Crossville TN. The tire had a split about 4 inches long so I couldn't ride it. I called Shadden Tire Co. The only tire they had close to the size I needed was a Kelly Charger GT 205/50/16. I told them to send it out along with there service truck.
The service truck shows up and the man gets out and ask have you ever done this before(he said he hadn't). I said yes (a little white lie, I have mounted the tires.but never on the side of the interstate with a service truck)
We lay the bike on her side and I remove the rear wheel. He takes the wheel over by his truck and gets out his tire iron and mall. I as him if his outrigger works, he says yes. I said well let's brake the bead the easy way, instead of with his mall and he looks at at me kinda weird. I sit the wheel under the outrigger and he runs it down a few times and we have the bead broke lose. He takes the wheel and his tire irons in front of the truck and in about 2 minutes has the Kumho off the wheel with out a scratch on the wheel. Then he takes the new Kelly tire and sprays a little penatrating oil on it and pushes the first bead on the wheel. He sprays a little more oil on the second bead and in a matter of about 2 minutes has the second bead on (had to tire iron about a 10" section of the last bead). Seats the bead at about 35psi and lets the air out. I reinstall the wheel and tighten the lug nuts and checked for clearence, he installs the valve core and airs it up to 42 psi and starts to let some air out. I told him to leave it at 40 to 42 psi. I check for clearence again and everything clears
I paid the man $216.?? for the tire and the service call and was on my way home (another 270 miles) at 80 to 85 mph. I stop about 30 miles down the road to get something to drink and check the tire again. Everything looked fine, so it was on the road again.

If anybody on here is from around that area check them out. I say they are good people and a good company to trade with. (Shedden Tire Co)
Now My question has anybody run the Kelly Charger GT tire?? If so what can I expect from it? And what psi do you run it? I'm going to let the psi down to around 35 now that I'm home and got the load off the bike.
The Kelly tire(with 40 to 42 psi) seem to ride smoother than the Kumho rf (with 30 to 32 psi)
dogwooddir1

PS: I had been on the Dragon Sunday

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I have not run that tire, but just googled it and it looks nice. It looks like you are going from a run flat to a non run flat tire. You will most likely have a lot of sidewall flex at 35psi, and want to stick around 42psi.:thumbup: Only time I run 40 or less is if I an going to be doing a lot of straight line running!:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
dogwooddir1, I have not heard of that tire being used before but hope you'll keep us updated on your thoughts of how it performs. Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the Kumho but glad you were able to get rolling again without incident.:thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Rocketman
Thanks for the reply. I had planned on another Kumho RF, but this caught me by suprise. The Kumho had about 19,000 miles when we left for the weekend trip. The tire looked good. I think my air pressure sensor went out and the Kumho was run under inflated. It was showing it still had 30 psi when it was flat ha ha.
I was expecting more sidewall flex, that's why I had him to leave it at 40 to 42 psi. I am now planning on replacing the Kelly in a few months with another Kumho RF. The Kelly with 42 psi handled the high speed sweepers, patched spots and rough places of I 40 and I 24 great.

dogwooddir1

I have not run that tire, but just googled it and it looks nice. It looks like you are going from a run flat to a non run flat tire. You will most likely have a lot of sidewall flex at 35psi, and want to stick around 42psi.:thumbup: Only time I run 40 or less is if I an going to be doing a lot of straight line running!:thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello TravelinLite
I will try to keep updates listed on the tire. The Kelly preformed flawless the rest of the way home (270 miles). I do see another Kumho RF in the future (a few months) I prefer a RF tire. But I will run the Kelly for a while to get some of my monies worth out of it. If you know what I mean.
dogwooddir1

dogwooddir1, I have not heard of that tire being used before but hope you'll keep us updated on your thoughts of how it performs. Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the Kumho but glad you were able to get rolling again without incident.:thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
Thats why you run a runflat wonder how you would've made out with reg tire or mc- glad everything worked out n you ok keep us posted n be safe

·
Registered
388 Posts
:coffee1: A good side of the road tale with a happy ending...I think you did get your monies worth in that you got a new tire and back underway in good shape...Met a guy in 2006 running Cooper tires which he claimed to love and only cost him $40-50

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Kumho had 19??? miles on it so I can't complain to much. I think the tire was run low on air psi. My pressure sensor quit working, It was showing 30 psi with the tire flat. I plan on putting another Kumho RF on it later (after I get a little of my monies worth out of the Kelly)
dogwooddir1

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
Got a dunnie 3000 rf i run 28 lbs in it $99. Good luck with whatever you pick keep us posted if you go with that tire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts