1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering how many on this board have had a cracked
frame caused by poor welds??

I have not heard anyone here say they did, but would be interesting
to hear of any actual first hand cases.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
My frame welds were cracked and the bike was sent to marysville ohio to be rewelded. It took 6 weeks to get it back.Honda payed for one of my monthy payments. 285 dollars.

I live in ohio .My dealer sent it to marysville.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The service manager of the shop I took mine to said the crack was wide enough he could put his finger in it. An '03.
Maybe not everyone whined on the forum about it. :wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cracked frame

Please, will anyone here care to repeat how the bike behaved to alert the rider that the frame was cracked? Did the rider know from riding, or only from inspection?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My '03 frame was cracked on one side. I'd taken it in to the dealer for an oil change and new tires and they found the crack. I didn't know a thing about it until then. Bike was sent back to Honda for rewelding.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My 02 ABS frame was cracked between the welds on the tube by the passengers left foot rest. Not at a weld, on the tube itself. Frame replace by Honda at dealer.
Cracks? no difference in handling, no way to know except by inspection. If you have something large enough to make a handling sensation, you have either got a really bad frame opening that would require immediate attention and would probably be noticable on inspection. Then I would think of it as a break.
Opinions expressed here are not official.
Bob

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
03 Cracked, replaced with a new 03. Changeout was a long process in terms of time (9 weeks in our short riding season),

Rather painless, other than the time it took.

No problems since.

This was on Dr. Rob's bike.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Re: Cracked frame

Another wing said:
Please, will anyone here care to repeat how the bike behaved to alert the rider that the frame was cracked? Did the rider know from riding, or only from inspection?

Thanks
In the summer of '03, a member here had full separation and collapse. He reported a "clank" sound being heard that would have alerted him had he known of the risk. You have to realize that this problem was kept quiet except here on the board. Those few that dared discuss frames were flamed severely. A deep understanding can be gleamed from the image below. And before someone says this is the NHTSA's words, I will clarify. Our manufacturer filed this in response to a NHTSA investigation.

The full record is here for free download: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... search.cfm

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
02 frame cracked on left side of frame, near passenger foot rest. No indications of problem. Found crack while doing a inspection for cracked and bad welds on crossover member. Dealer changed out frame with a new 03 frame, 1st one done. 3 weeks after getting the bike back with a "new frame" got a call from honda that I would have to have the crossmembers rewelded. Nothing like quaility control. In all fairness, I was reimbused for lost riding time by Honda, but replacing the bike was not an option in their world. No problems since then. Photos of frame replacement job from coming apart to going back together again are at http://www.pbase.com/topster10/goldwing

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 03 looked about the same as Werfa. Went to Marysville for repair or replacement. Took eleven days start to finish. No problems since.

·
Registered
386 Posts
crack

My 03 went in for a re weld an they found a crack it was sent to ohio it was back in jersey in 6 days an they sent me a check for 300.00 that was more then my payment per month was....but when i got it back i traded it in for a 05

·
DSI Keeper
9,234 Posts
Were most of the weld cracks in the same general area? I just found out my '03 has not yet been inspected. After seeing what was involved just to strip the bike down to the frame, I sure am hesitant that it would be any near the same as before. Glad to hear others are reporting success.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My OH My. Look what we have here. Crack Crack Everywhere a crack.
Crack killed apple Jack. You Crack me up. Dont CRACK another joke about Honda welds. Only a CRACK head would put a post about CRACK's . CRACK-R-Jacks. You CRACKED the door open on this thread for someone to walk right thru . 8)

CRACK open another bad thread. You CRACK me up .... :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts