GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of improving the suspension on my 2018 and the obvious choice after reading this forum is the Traxxion package. However, I really would like to keep the Electronic Suspension feature of the stock Goldwing, and I know Traxxion promotes their non-adjustable system as completely adequate for all situations (really?) and the Honda system so simple that it is almost useless.
I've been talking to a local suspension shop (in Canada) and they have available the Wilbers package which integrates completely with the Honda electronics so suspension damping and preload remains adjustable. Wilbers has been around a long time and have lots of experience with ESA for BMW bikes, and now available for the Goldwing. The Honda driver motor attaches directly to the top of their shocks and the valving provides a wider range of adjustment than the stock Showa shock has.
This shop also sells Penske shocks (that Traxxion uses) so I can go that route for slightly less money, either way the springs and shock settings would be tailored to my weight and riding habits.
I haven't read any ride reports comparing the Wilbers to Traxxion or Showa, but apparently they have been available and in use in Europe for a while now. Maybe someone with great googling skills can find a ride report and link it here?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You seem to be the 1st with this information. Would you happen to have a website or other information obtained from Google that you could provide

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t know how to attach a link here but it is Wilbers.de website (Germany) and the application is GL1800 SC79. My local susp shop is a Wilbers dealer and have been fitting them to BMWs for many years.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Had the Wilbers on my 2009 BMW K1200lt.
Works great and I will be looking at this for the Wing this weekend.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn, Ontario
Ask for John or Ron.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Will the Wilbers improve the alleged inadequate damping in the front suspension that Traxxion is always talking about?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had wilburs on my 2005 1200gs and they were AMAZING. They were sprung for my weight and fully adjustable (I paid more for that) with high/low compression and rebound front and rear. It took me a while to dial them in but amazing, about 2K and I installed.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Guys, traxxion setup still uses the onboard adjustment system, not sure who told you it doesn't. I have the traxxion, and change it based on whether or not wife is riding with me. Rear preload and front dampening adjust, both still work just with a better shock and spring system.

Edit: just looked at prices. Unless I'm doing the currency conversion wrong, Wilbur is more expensive than traxxion...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Would you be able to do the front to start, and the rear a year or 2 later?

Reactions: eddiedial

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, traxxion setup still uses the onboard adjustment system, not sure who told you it doesn't. I have the traxxion, and change it based on whether or not wife is riding with me. Rear preload and front dampening adjust, both still work just with a better shock and spring system.

Edit: just looked at prices. Unless I'm doing the currency conversion wrong, Wilbur is more expensive than traxxion...
Yes, Traxxion uses the stock Honda preload adjuster on the rear shock, as does Wilbers. No preload adjustments on the front.
I believe Traxxion provides dummy plugs to cap off the front and rear damping connections to fool the Honda into thinking there is an adjuster there to prevent a fault code, but both shocks have no damping adjustment, manual or electronic. Wilbers has electronic damping adjustments in both shocks and are controlled by the Honda drive modes.
And yes, the Wilbers package is more costly than Traxxion.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Traxxion doesn't provide dummy plugs for the front for their suspension. They do have a set of dummy plugs available to lock in the front suspension into the tour, spirt or rain dampening mode despite whatever is selected on the front console. Some like the way suspension feels in sport mode and want to keep it that way when in tour mode. Dummy plugs are nothing more than rain caps to keep the connectors clean. Unplugging connectors once the suspension is set prevents it from shifting.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

Sorry but this is not correct.......
Rear preload still works like normal but both front and rear dampening are no longer controlled by the Goldwing and are preset.
The factory plugs on the bike have dummy plugs installed to prevent moisture/dirt intrusion.

See below from Max @ Traxxion......

1 - 20 of 58 Posts