GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I stand corrected, the dummy plugs are only for weather protection. Front and rear Traxxion shocks do not have adjustable damping, Wilbers shocks do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm thinking of improving the suspension on my 2018 and the obvious choice after reading this forum is the Traxxion package. However, I really would like to keep the Electronic Suspension feature of the stock Goldwing, and I know Traxxion promotes their non-adjustable system as completely adequate for all situations (really?) and the Honda system so simple that it is almost useless.
I've been talking to a local suspension shop (in Canada) and they have available the Wilbers package which integrates completely with the Honda electronics so suspension damping and preload remains adjustable. Wilbers has been around a long time and have lots of experience with ESA for BMW bikes, and now available for the Goldwing. The Honda driver motor attaches directly to the top of their shocks and the valving provides a wider range of adjustment than the stock Showa shock has.
This shop also sells Penske shocks (that Traxxion uses) so I can go that route for slightly less money, either way the springs and shock settings would be tailored to my weight and riding habits.
I haven't read any ride reports comparing the Wilbers to Traxxion or Showa, but apparently they have been available and in use in Europe for a while now. Maybe someone with great googling skills can find a ride report and link it here?
I've used Wilbers in the past and they are a premium shock absorber system, the only one that is better is Ohlins but I'm basing my comments on my sportbike and BMW K bike background. All we hear about is Traxxion and I'm sure they make great stuff but I'd like being able to adjust the suspension, especially when I have my wife o the back.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
How hard is it to pull both shocks on the 2018 Wing?
Have to send both in complete before they will ship the replacements.
Say it will "only" be 14 days. (yeah, right!)

Just hate to have the bike apart for that long when it's just starting to get to the good weather here in Phoenix.

And really don't want to have it sitting at the dealership for that whole time either.

Does anyone have a set of factory shocks complete for sale?

This is the reason they want the factory shocks...

"thank you for your inquiry.

For this vehicle we need the complete suspension strut, because we continue to use the partial hydraulic spring preload and make it to the new suspension strut.

So when ordering, the OEM shock absorber MUST be sent in.

Wonder if I can just get the parts they need and send those.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Are you dealing with Germany or New Jersey? Maybe they can suggest a local suspension shop to do the change-over? Buying someones take-off won't help if they installed Traxxion as it won't have the preload mechanism. Maybe search salvage yards and web sites.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Trigger pulled. Front and rear Wilbers suspension on its way. I expect 2-3 weeks and I will report back with a ride report.
Thanks for investigating these options. I am really looking forward to your findings and report.

I've asked my local indy bike shop to contact Traxxion and Wilbers to get some technical info and cost estimates. There is an 'authorized/certified' Traxxion installer a couple hours away, but I'm inquiring with my trusted indy shop first.

Tim

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Trigger pulled. Front and rear Wilbers suspension on its way. I expect 2-3 weeks and I will report back with a ride report.
Awesome Garry! Hey, have you already ridden the Traxxion set up? I'm looking forward to your review.

·
Registered
94 Posts
+1 on SSNCOB's post above. Traxxion has said multiple times in their videos that the Gold wing is under sprung and under damped, especially the front end. He said that's the main reason the tires start cupping so soon. He said that if a "10" was the perfect number for dampening, the econ and rain modes were a "2," the tour mode was a "3," and the sport mode was a "4." Point being: even in sport, still underdamped. That's why he came up with a way to lock the dampening into sport mode by simply disconnecting the wiring, and provided the caps (or plugs as was mentioned above) to protect the factory plugs once they're disconnected. Price was like 29 bucks or so. Easy DIY project.

To answer Kevincaron's first question above, Traxxion's videos show a lot of the process involved in removing the suspension. It's very involved. I've done my fair share of suspension work on other bikes, and the Gold Wing looks to be a high level of difficulty for the average joe.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
More than likely.
Can't see leaving it at the dealership for that long and getting that bill.
I did the swap on my BMW K1200LT with the Wilbers.
Just took a few days to get it all done.
Got the lift and the tools.
Just hate to take it apart when the best time of year to ride is starting.

And yeah, it is a hard check to write for sure!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Awesome Garry! Hey, have you already ridden the Traxxion set up? I'm looking forward to your review.
No, I haven't tried the Traxxion shocks, but from reading reports I'm sure it works quite well. I am very happy with the Hyperpro system on my Super Tenere and was waiting for them to come out with ESA shocks for the 1833 but Wilbers beat them to it.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Never understood why Honda tied the suspension adjustments to the ride modes.

What does throttle response have to do with suspension damping? They should have been separate adjustments.

Traxxion, as expected, decided the stock shocks are under sprung and under damped in any mode and developed a shock with more damping and a stronger spring.

Traxxion is absolutely right that their setup is higher performance and safer as it provides a larger amount of control.

I do think it's likely less plush and comfortable than the Honda setup.

My guess is that the Wilburs ends up somewhere in the middle. It will be interesting to hear a ride report, although you'd almost need a stock wing, a Traxxion wing and a Wilburs wing ridden back to back on the same route to really compare them.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I have a Very Honest question I want to ask. I'm not being a Troll.. I really want to know the reasoning behind wanting to stiffen up the 6th Gen Wing. It can't be becuse it does not handle well.. is this not "The Bike" (Especially the DCT) to sit back, cruise and enjoy the scenery? I just don't understand why after spending what we spend on these Plush units the desire to turn around and spend thousands more to make it stiffer like a Sports Tourer..(BMW and Concours come to mind) after seeing this video:
which imo, pushes the Wing beyond anything I could have ever imagined it being capable of doing.. I just want to get a feel for why you bought this bike if what you see in the video (should you choose to watch) is not more than enough for a Luxo-Touring Machine that this 6th Gen Wing is. Thanks for any input you can provide.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
One reason for upgrading the suspension is if you carry a passanger most of the time and your passanger is on the heavy side of 150lbs ...my old wing had the full Traxxion suspension and it was tuned for the weight of the bike, myself and my passanger...the bike rode well solo, but two up it rode like a Cadillac, but handled like a sport bike...well not like a sport bike, but it handled so well and the wheels were so planted to the road over the bumps that it always put a grin on my face every time I was in a bumpy curve or had to brake hard on bumpy roads..it was amazing how well that 900 lb touring machine felt riding two up and pulling my trailer...once you ride a machine like that OEM is just not good enough

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Ive installed the full Traxxion setup. the bike does ride a bit higher and is more firm. my issues were: at speed, hitting a square edged bump, my passenger would get lifted off the seat. HATED that. it would catch her off guard and we both rode anxious. id have to tap her knee every time i thought that was likely to happen. and secondly, around a turn, if there were imperfections in the pavement, the bike would become unsettled. it was the rear end more so than the front end but if the pavement was degraded enough both ends were affected. this was even more obvious with a passenger, which at the extreme end, the bike would wallow mid turn. since the TD install, that doesnt happen. the bike feels planted, the front wheel seems as if its pushed into the ground and the suspension soaks it all up without upsetting itself. another thing ive found, it tracks better with tar snakes. it rides through them. i can set the setting to single rider and when my passenger and i ride, the bike becomes more plush but without any of the downfalls of the stock suspension. i did a youtube video on it and i explained it by relating it to MX. its like the bike settles into the rut and no matter what the rut brings, the bike stays there. it was expensive but that and my corbin have made this the perfect bike for me. money well spent.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I have a Very Honest question I want to ask. I'm not being a Troll.. I really want to know the reasoning behind wanting to stiffen up the 6th Gen Wing. It can't be becuse it does not handle well.. is this not "The Bike" (Especially the DCT) to sit back, cruise and enjoy the scenery? I just don't understand why after spending what we spend on these Plush units the desire to turn around and spend thousands more to make it stiffer like a Sports Tourer..(BMW and Concours come to mind) after seeing this video:
which imo, pushes the Wing beyond anything I could have ever imagined it being capable of doing.. I just want to get a feel for why you bought this bike if what you see in the video (should you choose to watch) is not more than enough for a Luxo-Touring Machine that this 6th Gen Wing is. Thanks for any input you can provide.
For me, the problem is two fold. One, I only have room for one bike ( I have three) so I need to have one that will doo everything it can possibly do. Two, I'm limited in funds, so having a versatile bike saves on cash spent.

Reactions: ARDENT BLACK 2020

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I've been replacing worn out stock suspension components on my motorcycles for decades, I ride more than most, 80-100,000 kms/yr and for the last dozen or so motorcycles the stock suspension lasts only 30-50k. I go with aftermarket to save money with the added benefit of much better performance. For example, my previous touring bike was a Vulcan Voyager that I rode 680,000 kms in 8 years, I let Kawasaki replace the worn suspension a couple times within warranty and then I went aftermarket, Works Performance shocks were less than half the price of OEM and RaceTech forks also less money. Custom build to my weights and riding requirements and it rides and handles much better than generic OEM. After the initial expense I then had components that were rebuildable at 1/10 the cost of OEM replacements and I found aftermarket shocks last twice the distance before rebuild/replacement is required.
My Goldwing now has 48k and the stock suspension feels very tired, easily bottoms out and getting more wallowing through bumpy curves. My other bike, a Super Tenere with 180k but equipped with Hyperpro rides and handles better than my GL so it's time to replace the worn parts. OEM Goldwing shocks are $3750 in Canada, not rebuildable and will likely be toast in another 50k. The Wilbers package I have on order is less money, custom built for me, likely last 100k and can be rebuilt for $150 each. I am anticipating much better performance as a side benefit to the cost savings.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts