GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've been replacing worn out stock suspension components on my motorcycles for decades, I ride more than most, 80-100,000 kms/yr and for the last dozen or so motorcycles the stock suspension lasts only 30-50k. I go with aftermarket to save money with the added benefit of much better performance. For example, my previous touring bike was a Vulcan Voyager that I rode 680,000 kms in 8 years, I let Kawasaki replace the worn suspension a couple times within warranty and then I went aftermarket, Works Performance shocks were less than half the price of OEM and RaceTech forks also less money. Custom build to my weights and riding requirements and it rides and handles much better than generic OEM. After the initial expense I then had components that were rebuildable at 1/10 the cost of OEM replacements and I found aftermarket shocks last twice the distance before rebuild/replacement is required.
My Goldwing now has 48k and the stock suspension feels very tired, easily bottoms out and getting more wallowing through bumpy curves. My other bike, a Super Tenere with 180k but equipped with Hyperpro rides and handles better than my GL so it's time to replace the worn parts. OEM Goldwing shocks are $3750 in Canada, not rebuildable and will likely be toast in another 50k. The Wilbers package I have on order is less money, custom built for me, likely last 100k and can be rebuilt for $150 each. I am anticipating much better performance as a side benefit to the cost savings.
No suspension is going to last 100k miles...more like 50k on the rear shock and the front fork slide bushing wear thru the teflon coating as little as 15k miles..I persnally have seen the telflon on the slide bushing wore thru at 3500 miles on a cruiser I worked on...never the less. Traxxon recommends fork service every 20k miles...this 2018 plus model only has shocks though and judging by my Traxxion shock on my old wing, 50k miles between shock rebuilds is more realistic if you want your bike to be the best it can be

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
No suspension is going to last 100k miles...more like 50k on the rear shock and the front fork slide bushing wear thru the teflon coating as little as 15k miles..I persnally have seen the telflon on the slide bushing wore thru at 3500 miles on a cruiser I worked on...never the less. Traxxon recommends fork service every 20k miles...this 2018 plus model only has shocks though and judging by my Traxxion shock on my old wing, 50k miles between shock rebuilds is more realistic if you want your bike to be the best it can be
I have a metric bike in a metric country and was using kilometers,:) but yes 100k kms (62k miles) is still expecting a lot from any shock but I've had no issues running aftermarket units that far, OEM..... not so much!
But the question was why do we feel the need to replace shocks and my point was Goldwing OEM shocks are weak when brand new and toast after 30-50k kms whether the owner admits it or not, and aftermarket shocks are less money, last longer, rebuildable, tailored to your individual needs and much, much better performance.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I have a metric bike in a metric country and was using kilometers,:) but yes 100k kms (62k miles) is still expecting a lot from any shock but I've had no issues running aftermarket units that far, OEM..... not so much!
But the question was why do we feel the need to replace shocks and my point was Goldwing OEM shocks are weak when brand new and toast after 30-50k kms whether the owner admits it or not, and aftermarket shocks are less money, last longer, rebuildable, tailored to your individual needs and much, much better performance.
Totally agree with you

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive installed the full Traxxion setup. the bike does ride a bit higher and is more firm. my issues were: at speed, hitting a square edged bump, my passenger would get lifted off the seat. HATED that. it would catch her off guard and we both rode anxious. id have to tap her knee every time i thought that was likely to happen. and secondly, around a turn, if there were imperfections in the pavement, the bike would become unsettled. it was the rear end more so than the front end but if the pavement was degraded enough both ends were affected. this was even more obvious with a passenger, which at the extreme end, the bike would wallow mid turn. since the TD install, that doesnt happen. the bike feels planted, the front wheel seems as if its pushed into the ground and the suspension soaks it all up without upsetting itself. another thing ive found, it tracks better with tar snakes. it rides through them. i can set the setting to single rider and when my passenger and i ride, the bike becomes more plush but without any of the downfalls of the stock suspension. i did a youtube video on it and i explained it by relating it to MX. its like the bike settles into the rut and no matter what the rut brings, the bike stays there. it was expensive but that and my corbin have made this the perfect bike for me. money well spent.
Can you give a link to your video

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ive installed the full Traxxion setup. the bike does ride a bit higher and is more firm. my issues were: at speed, hitting a square edged bump, my passenger would get lifted off the seat. HATED that. it would catch her off guard and we both rode anxious. id have to tap her knee every time i thought that was likely to happen. and secondly, around a turn, if there were imperfections in the pavement, the bike would become unsettled. it was the rear end more so than the front end but if the pavement was degraded enough both ends were affected. this was even more obvious with a passenger, which at the extreme end, the bike would wallow mid turn. since the TD install, that doesnt happen. the bike feels planted, the front wheel seems as if its pushed into the ground and the suspension soaks it all up without upsetting itself. another thing ive found, it tracks better with tar snakes. it rides through them. i can set the setting to single rider and when my passenger and i ride, the bike becomes more plush but without any of the downfalls of the stock suspension. i did a youtube video on it and i explained it by relating it to MX. its like the bike settles into the rut and no matter what the rut brings, the bike stays there. it was expensive but that and my corbin have made this the perfect bike for me. money well spent.
I ran up to Tellico Plains Drive-In and on the way there is a right hand uphill 45mph turn with railroad tracks. First time I slowed to 25 and the hit made the rear tire skip left and I was thrown off the seat almost causing a crash. I now take it at 5-10, but immediately knew what you were saying. Almost no High Speed Dampning at all in the rear and I'm in Sport on passenger with rider preload. I'll get around to the TD setup, but holding cash these days with all the uncertainty.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I ran up to Tellico Plains Drive-In and on the way there is a right hand uphill 45mph turn with railroad tracks. First time I slowed to 25 and the hit made the rear tire skip left and I was thrown off the seat almost causing a crash. I now take it at 5-10, but immediately knew what you were saying. Almost no High Speed Dampning at all in the rear and I'm in Sport on passenger with rider preload. I'll get around to the TD setup, but holding cash these days with all the uncertainty.
i can totally understand that. its a lot of money, no doubt. i no longer have to "prepare" myself and my wife to potentially hazardous road conditions. i can concentrate on everything else thats potentially hazardous, lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
the admins dont like that. check your messages
Nice video. You did a good job explaining why you went with TD, beyond stating the usual “the stock suspension sucks...Traxxion is the best”. Maybe if I had motocrossing experience like you, I’d feel the need to get stiffer shocks. I think I’m a fairly aggressive rider, and the stock suspension works for me, except that the bike is really squirrelly over tar snakes. Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is there a way to leave the damping in "4", the damping in the sport mode? Cheap way to get some improvement in damping.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Need to keep up with this thread. Honda gave us great suspension geometry front and rear! And horrible suspension components and operation. Way under sprung. Not enough preload in the rear and no adjustable preload on the front. 1990's single point compression and rebound damping. It's bipolar.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Need to keep up with this thread. Honda gave us great suspension geometry front and rear! And horrible suspension components and operation. Way under sprung. Not enough preload in the rear and no adjustable preload on the front. 1990's single point compression and rebound damping. It's bipolar.
Not everybody thinks the suspension is “horrible”, or undersprung, etc. I’m sure there are countless owners who are thrilled or at least satisfied with the suspension, but that’s just my opinion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not everybody thinks the suspension is “horrible”, or undersprung, etc. I’m sure there are countless owners who are thrilled or at least satisfied with the suspension, but that’s just my opinion.
I never said everybody. So now I have to ask. Why are you even in a thread about aftermarket suspension? When the goal of aftermarket suspension is to change and or improve the OEM system to the riders needs. With the new multilink front suspension and it's wonderful geometry front spring preload is viable if only in a manual mode type shock and spring combo. Electrical adjustment like the rear has would be spectacular! If we are stuck with 1990's single point compression and damping how about a wider range of setting and the ability to choose a offset ratio between front and rear? Ideal would be a completely separated compression and rebound adjustment front and rear. And yes my bike needs more rear preload. The difference between two up and two up with luggage is near useless. While there is nothing that can be done to change how the preload has to be changed. Having to stop and get into Hondas craptastic 2006 Navi menu system to change the rear shock preload is a joke. I want better suspension and better control over the suspension. Traxxion addressed a bit of the issues. But honestly I don't want to invest and tear down my plastic fantastic for only part of the cure. I've been watching Olins website, but haven't seen anything yet. And when I've tried calling Olins to inquire about any future offerings or custom work nobody's answered because of all the corny19 bs. It's nice to read another company has a product that I look forward to looking into.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice video. You did a good job explaining why you went with TD, beyond stating the usual “the stock suspension sucks...Traxxion is the best”. Maybe if I had motocrossing experience like you, I’d feel the need to get stiffer shocks. I think I’m a fairly aggressive rider, and the stock suspension works for me, except that the bike is really squirrelly over tar snakes. Thanks!
My avon front is not affected by tar snakes

·
Registered
70 Posts
I never said everybody. So now I have to ask. Why are you even in a thread about aftermarket suspension? When the goal of aftermarket suspension is to change and or improve the OEM system to the riders needs. With the new multilink front suspension and it's wonderful geometry front spring preload is viable if only in a manual mode type shock and spring combo. Electrical adjustment like the rear has would be spectacular! If we are stuck with 1990's single point compression and damping how about a wider range of setting and the ability to choose a offset ratio between front and rear? Ideal would be a completely separated compression and rebound adjustment front and rear. And yes my bike needs more rear preload. The difference between two up and two up with luggage is near useless. While there is nothing that can be done to change how the preload has to be changed. Having to stop and get into Hondas craptastic 2006 Navi menu system to change the rear shock preload is a joke. I want better suspension and better control over the suspension. Traxxion addressed a bit of the issues. But honestly I don't want to invest and tear down my plastic fantastic for only part of the cure. I've been watching Olins website, but haven't seen anything yet. And when I've tried calling Olins to inquire about any future offerings or custom work nobody's answered because of all the corny19 bs. It's nice to read another company has a product that I look forward to looking into.
(Trying not to be argumentative here) When you use terms like “horrible” and “craptastic”, and “a joke,” then the implication is that most others would agree, right? Some people say the suspension is really good. Some people think the GPS is just fine—so who is right, then? I don’t doubt that you’re not satisfied with these items, but that doesn’t mean they’re generally unacceptable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
(Trying not to be argumentative here) When you use terms like “horrible” and “craptastic”, and “a joke,” then the implication is that most others would agree, right? Some people say the suspension is really good. Some people think the GPS is just fine—so who is right, then? I don’t doubt that you’re not satisfied with these items, but that doesn’t mean they’re generally unacceptable.
Look man,, all I want to do is fix my suspension. I don't want to live in your mental minefield.

·
Registered
94 Posts
For me suspension is as near to perfect as I could want on a nice comfortable motorcycle. If I wanted a sports bike I would have bought one, but to each his own. But the GPS system I would definitely characterize as being horrible, craptastic and a joke. But that's me and I'm sure there are some who like how the GPS system works.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts