GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound like a stupid question, but ever since I got my DCT I've neglected riding my manual transmission Valkyrie and find myself having to think more about shifting, especially downshifting when coming to a stop. Seems like my muscle memory has atrophied and isn't as instinctive as it was years back. I've been spending more time on the Valkyrie now to keep in shape. I love the DCT and it is amazing, but I do miss the old school manual tranny to.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I haven't forgotten and enjoy shifting (Valkyrie also). I do dislike the downshift paddle being where the Valkyrie horn button is. I usually give a couple of toots on the bike to get my head into where the button is on whichever bike I'm on. Only when away from cars and houses, no need to annoy the inocent.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I ride a VT1100C2 Shadow about one month a year and the gear shift is much further forward so end up completely missing the shift lever. I also miss the Nav so wonder where the hell I am and how to get home from here?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
A cogent observation, Crabballs. Shifting a manual transmission is a skill whereby you become more proficient with practice and without practice, your skill fades. Your ancestors could churn butter and make their own tools and build their own house. Civilization has removed the necessity for knowing how to do these things, so you no longer can. Pitiful! When civilization collapses, you'll be up a sh*t creek without a paddle that you no longer know how to make.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 2018 GW did offer a 6 speed manual, which I have. From the post on here I wonder how many DCTs are sold vs manual? I have nothing against the DCT. I have not ridden one. I was looking for a deal when I found my 2018 at a dealer with 6 miles on it in 2020. I saved $7,500 vs a 2020. But, that did mean I didn't have a choice to get the DCT.

Does anyone know the sales data to compare DCT vs manual?

·
Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
294 Posts
I regularly switch between the '21 DCT and the '15 just to keep in shape. I find myself sometimes hunting the shifter on the DCT. I do have to remember to shift sometimes when first starting out, but after a couple of minutes it's all good.

My biggest complaint is they switched the position of the Horn and Turn Signal buttons. The shifter button on the DCT is where the horn button is on the Gen5 (I understand the ergonomics of the positioning) but the turn signal on the Gen5 is where the horn button is on the DCT.

Reactions: CO-GLrider

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I took a 2021 Goldwing 6-speed on a demo ride at last years Wing Ding......had been well over 2-years since riding a large bike with MT (my Monkey doesn't count as it's so much different on a mini-sized bike).
Needless to say I forgot to downshift all the way at one stop and killed it once at another........felt like a doofus after riding MT bikes for 40-years. 😬

Didn't take long to get back into the mode, but it did take some thinking for a little bit. :unsure:

·
Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
294 Posts
Have you driven a vehicle with a 3 speed on the column lately?
3 speed on the tree!!! Learned how to drive on my Dad's '77 F100 Custom with 3 on the tree. But I have not driven one lately. Any difference?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Yes......with a clutch that practically takes 2-feet to operate! :giggle:
My Dad had an old pickup on his hobby farm......been sitting for over 2-years since he passed.
I got it fired up then had to drive it.......what a treat.........NOT. :confused:

Reactions: igetaround

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The 2018 GW did offer a 6 speed manual, which I have. From the post on here I wonder how many DCTs are sold vs manual? I have nothing against the DCT. I have not ridden one. I was looking for a deal when I found my 2018 at a dealer with 6 miles on it in 2020. I saved $7,500 vs a 2020. But, that did mean I didn't have a choice to get the DCT.

Does anyone know the sales data to compare DCT vs manual?
My recollection is DCT outsells MT by a small margin, according to Honda sales figures. I may be wrong given the skew in the European market. Meanwhile, Cycle Trader tell me DCT's are the overwhelming majority of re-sales. Just log on, and take a peak. Maybe that just mirrors DCT initial sales percentage. Yes, I have been shopping, but no longer.

·
Registered
‘21 Tour DCT
91 Posts
A local shop had a demo ride day a month or so ago, so I stopped by and rode a Suzuki Tenere 700 for kicks. The MT was still second nature even after almost a year with the DCT, felt as natural as it always did. Now, I did find that as soon as that was over and we headed home, I was trying to make manual shifts on the DCT! Just shows how new and non instinctual the DCT still is for me vs. a MT. Still would never trade the DCT!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
My biggest complaint is they switched the position of the Horn and Turn Signal buttons. The shifter button on the DCT is where the horn button is on the Gen5 (I understand the ergonomics of the positioning) but the turn signal on the Gen5 is where the horn button is on the DCT.
My biggest complaint as well. I added a press on button over the horn button to help but doesn't help all that much.

I hadn't ridden a manual shift bike for around 3 years and when I had to ride my son's FJR from Reno to Colorado last fall, I thought I might have some issues. But I really didn't, I lugged the bike down a couple times before I realized I needed to use the clutch and down shift. No real issues for the nearly 1000-mile trip.

·
Registered
Scarlett aka The Crimson Couch (2018 Tour DCT)
132 Posts
my Monkey doesn't count as it's so much different on a mini-sized bike).
This is a good point. If you are riding the same model bike, one DCT and one manual back to back, I can see where you'd have the possibility of forgetting what you're doing. My other bike is so different, it hasn't made a difference yet.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
890 Posts
This might sound like a stupid question, but ever since I got my DCT I've neglected riding my manual transmission Valkyrie and find myself having to think more about shifting, especially downshifting when coming to a stop. Seems like my muscle memory has atrophied and isn't as instinctive as it was years back. I've been spending more time on the Valkyrie now to keep in shape. I love the DCT and it is amazing, but I do miss the old school manual tranny to.
On another note, when I visit Tail of the Dragon and do a couple thousand curves in just a couple days, I find myself feeling well practiced and confident. I did that just this week, but experience has taught me something. After a month or two back home in Florida, I find myself out of practice and out of confidence... that kind that makes riding a joy and soothes the concerns when approaching corners.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have two manual transmission bikes and 1 DCT. I generally ride 1 of them at least once a week and alternate pretty evenly between machines and if I don't ride one of the clutched bikes for that few weeks I know I lose some polish or finesse when riding it again. Maybe I don't time the foot to hands exactly right or I'm off a few hundred rpm when rev matching downshifts, stuff like that. It's the sort of thing only I notice and it comes back pretty quickly. I liken it to the pro basketball player that shoots 1000 baskets a week in practice but if he takes two or three weeks off he doesn't forget how to shoot a basket but his percentage of shots made suffers for a while. I think it also has to do with frequency of riding and distance. My log has 8,348 miles for 2022. I ride very weekend pretty much year round. Up north riders that are seasonal probably have the same experience when rolling out the bike in the spring perhaps even more so. Instead of a few weeks break it's a few months break and skills are a little rusty at first.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,052 Posts
I remember driving an old van with a column shifter when I was a teenager lol. Remember the clicker buttons for the high beam down on the floor under the emergency brake pedal? Speaking of the emergency brake pedal; my first car was a beat up old 68 fast back mustang, the pedal you would think was an emergency brake actually worked the windshield wipers like a mist mode. Changes in cars and motorcycles and really cool and kind of sad at the same time.

Reactions: WVMANDINGO

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I remember driving an old van with a column shifter when I was a teenager lol. Remember the clicker buttons for the high beam down on the floor under the emergency brake pedal? Speaking of the emergency brake pedal; my first car was a beat up old 68 fast back mustang, the pedal you would think was an emergency brake actually worked the windshield wipers like a mist mode. Changes in cars and motorcycles and really cool and kind of sad at the same time.
“They don’t make ‘em like they used to.” Thank gawd! 😀

Tim

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I like variety! For the baseline record, our 2008 Airbag edition soldiers on and on my way to work and back today I probably pulled a clutch lever over 100 times.

We often rent HD Ultras (usually from Eagle Rider). That different, very loose feeling chassis but heavy clutch pull takes a little getting used to, plus two different turn signal buttons (left turn = left grip, right turn = right grip). It often takes me 15 minutes in a parking lot before I let my wife jump on for a ride.

In my younger (less affluent) days I drove little cars (Dodge Omni, Toyota Corolla, Geo Storm). I deployed to Honduras in 1987 and got used to the very short travel, yet very heavy clutch on a M151 jeep that I drove almost every day (great fun in those mountains, and I prefer over a HMMWV). After my deployment my wife (at the time) picked me up at the airport, we got in our Corolla and I slammed the clutch lever to the floor very hard and my wife asked what was upsetting me...another 15 minutes of acclamation and I was driving smooth again.

We now own a Highlander as our cage. If we fly off to another state on a vacation and rent a rental car, come home and get back in the Highlander and it feels big. However if I need to take my work F350 or Chevy 2500 on a long trip and get back in the Highlander and it feel small, give me another 15 minutes.

Anybody ever driven a M-35 duce and a half? I need at least 30 minutes before I'm comfortable driving that.

But without this variety wouldn't life be boring?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts