GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I forgot to update my post above #20. Jumping back into the way back again; this time try taking a conventional motorcycle to ATV training. Now your controls are:

right thumb = throttle (not too hard to get used to)
right hand lever = front brake (at least that one is correct)
right foot = rear brake (also correct)
left foot = shifter (I think it was all upshifts)
left hand lever = alternate rear brake (that was the real problem)

So after a refresher class, off we went for a ride. Shifting does not require a clutch (nor is a clutch available). So as I mentally prepared to upshift I pulled the alternate rear brake and came to a stop (so did the other motorcycle rider that day). After a couple more embarrassing, unplanned stops I finally forced myself to learn to not look stupid in front of other students (that I know I could outride in the dirt on a real motocross/adventure/dual purpose, etc.). ,Well I passed my test, went back to the office and prepared to ride home on my street bike and lugged it a couple times coming up to red lights.

I still work in an office with ATVs, but they a fully automatic and have a hand lever shifter. The ATV companies need to set some sort of standard!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This might sound like a stupid question, but ever since I got my DCT I've neglected riding my manual transmission Valkyrie and find myself having to think more about shifting, especially downshifting when coming to a stop. Seems like my muscle memory has atrophied and isn't as instinctive as it was years back. I've been spending more time on the Valkyrie now to keep in shape. I love the DCT and it is amazing, but I do miss the old school manual tranny to.
Maybe…Can’t afford the gas to enjoy going anywhere beyond 30 miles.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interesting input.
I test rode a GL1800 DCT three years ago at Mid-Ohio Vintage Days. (My current every day bike was a 2008 Airbag GL1800, but I also owned several other MT bikes as well.)
My concern at the time was swapping from MT to DCT, back and forth, perhaps every day. Probably would have been okay, but...
I decided that if I only owned one bike, a DCT would be fine (upon further reflection, I could add a DCT Africa Twin if I could afford it) but for now, I'm sticking with MT bikes....

·
Registered
1 Posts
This might sound like a stupid question, but ever since I got my DCT I've neglected riding my manual transmission Valkyrie and find myself having to think more about shifting, especially downshifting when coming to a stop. Seems like my muscle memory has atrophied and isn't as instinctive as it was years back. I've been spending more time on the Valkyrie now to keep in shape. I love the DCT and it is amazing, but I do miss the old school manual tranny to.
I kept my 2004 Suzuki Volusia since it's seems like a classic to me, especially when compared to my DCT. I enjoy using the clutch and downshifting to slow down as well as revving the engine a bit when at a red light. I have to remember there's no engine revving on the GW DCT, at least when in Drive mode. I ride each at least once a week to stay adept with each of the bike's mechanics. Good question!

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour, Several Valks
29 Posts
I wondered if I would "forget" how to shift when riding my Valks after about a 2 months of exclusive dct wing riding.

Came back just like riding a bicycle.

I do seem to be forgetting to cancel the turn signals more now.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I wondered if I would "forget" how to shift when riding my Valks after about a 2 months of exclusive dct wing riding.

Came back just like riding a bicycle.

I do seem to be forgetting to cancel the turn signals more now.
Yep, same turn signal issues for me. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 DCT that I love. My brother just passed away and left me his 2003 GoldWing. Love it too...not as much, but it's complicated. I find I do have an issue for the first couple of minutes remembering just what to do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been surprised to find out I can go back and forth without any issues. I think a major part of this is the DCT seems to shift at just the right time that I don't ever find myself going for a clutch or shifter that isn't there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a '21 DCT and a '15 Wing. After a lot of DCT riding, I've twice slowed down for stops on my '15, with my head fully up and locked, looking at scenery, when I start feeling the bike chug and shudder. CLUTCH! DOWNSHIFT! Yeah, it seems you have to think about it for a bit, then you fall back into muscle memory.

My dealership (Brookhaven, MS) said they initially didn't think the DCT's would sell, but were told by Big Red to just hide and watch. Bigger than anything, DCT's have been far outselling the standards. I've heard the same from other Honda folks. Haven't seen any hard numbers...just anecdotal evidence.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Recently a friend who had ankle surgery needed help moving his 2008 GW in prep for selling it... (he just bought a 2022 DCT Airbag, and now he has a fancier bike than my 2021 DCT Tour)... Sitting in the saddle, it took me a full two minutes to remember how to pull in the clutch lever then shift into 1st. I was completely baffled by having to put it in reverse. I've had my DCT Tour almost exactly one year, 6600 miles, and I never want to go back to manually shifting again.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have you driven a vehicle with a 3 speed on the column lately?
Learned to drive in 1963 on a Chevy Biscayne with a 3 on the tree. Would definitely have to "think about what I was doing" if I got into that car today!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My bikes are stored for 6-8 months each year and with my aging its a new experience each year! The one nice thing is I can now ride on roads I was previously bored with. Oh... did I already post this?

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing DCT Deep Pearl Gray
57 Posts
The DCT experience for me is just the shear fun of riding those tight corners without pulling clutch and shifting gears gives me that extra speed and time to take the corners faster and shorter...I been riding a lots of MT Harley Davidson touring and this DCT just beats them hands down...if the MT is ever banned from production I think I will not miss it as I have been riding MT for well over 20+ years...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nope, haven't forgotten how to ride manual transmissions. May take a few miles to regain my timing. I love the GW DCT especially in slow heavy traffic and smoothness.
Now, an Harley Livewire did amaze me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As an MSF Ridercoach, I now always run the first few demo's so that I can remember how to shift and I have to be able to do it on half a dozen different type of bikes. It always comes back fairly quick.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts