GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for SnG's I went out to the Honda website tonight and navigated my way to the goldwing section. I did my shopping. I asked for a quote. AND I asked for financing ---- I got a splash screen requesting all kinds of personal information and NONE of the screen was encrypted (as in Https: ....) I gave it a bunch of bogus info and am currently waiting to see what "Honda Financing" has to say.... This is all done on IE version 7 (Might be a Microsoft issue??)

Hey, I'm willing to learn, but one of the first things I learned was that if you wanted a secure internet transaction you had better see the Https in the address line.

Just curious.

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Registered
839 Posts
Its secure, if you filled out the form you should have noticed at the bottom of the form is a symbol "verisign", you can click it and it will tell you its secure, that symbol indicates that once you fill the form out and submit it your info will use a SSL layer for protection. HTTPS is the same thing. when your working in e-commerce you will see more verisign than HTTPS but both are the same and there are a few other SSL certificate companies on the market.

I could understand your caution if you were going to Harry's "Bacon Emporium", but your going to Honda a ligitimate website and company.

I would have just X'd out and then called them or asked the question rather than put bogus information in the form, does nothing for you and can waist there time.

Has nothing to do with IE7 or any browser.

Good question though.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I could understand your caution if you were going to Harry's "Bacon Emporium", but your going to Honda a ligitimate website and company.
Not necessarily true...I had a similar experience going to Bank of Americas and Wells Fargos website.

Try just typing in the web address and see if you get the same thing. Also try a different computer and see if you get that.

It could be a website phishing for personal information. Fill out the form with BS info and characters and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't care what anyone says.... You were right in your decision. I hate giving even my credit card over the internet. A phone call would be more secure, and even that could be bogus! Protect, Protect,Protect

·
Registered
839 Posts
Not necessarily true...I had a similar experience going to Bank of Americas and Wells Fargos website.

Try just typing in the web address and see if you get the same thing. Also try a different computer and see if you get that.

It could be a website phishing for personal information. Fill out the form with BS info and characters and see if it goes away.

Actually it is 100% true, what do you mean similar experience???? He stated that he went to Honda website and filled out a form. So basically he went to a lagitamate website and filled out a form on that site that had a SSL confirmation on it.

What your referencing "Phishing" has nothing to do with lagitamate website information, phishing is when a person or persons or even companies send a e-mail directing you to a website that may be bogus to get you to give them information. If you got a e-mail from lets say Bank of America asking you to go to a link and fill out information then yes that is phishing.

Basically just ensure you are going to a valid website and they have the SSL certificates on that site and you will be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts