GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few suggestions for the factory Garmin Nav unit in the new Wings ( who doesn't ? ). I would like to know if anyone has ever contacted them and offered info like this? I would think they would like to hear from the consumers about what would help sell their products. One of my suggestions would be to have input voltage readout on the screen to act as the much desired digital voltmeter that some Wing owners install. I have a GPS in my aircraft that does this so why not on the bike?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
ElBando said:
...One of my suggestions would be to have input voltage readout on the screen to act as the much desired digital voltmeter that some Wing owners install. I have a GPS in my aircraft that does this so why not on the bike?
Actually, some units already do this. My Garmin 478 has that as an option that can be selected anytime...I use it just as you have suggested.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
ElBando said:
I have a few suggestions for the factory Garmin Nav unit in the new Wings ( who doesn't ? ). I would like to know if anyone has ever contacted them and offered info like this? I would think they would like to hear from the consumers about what would help sell their products. One of my suggestions would be to have input voltage readout on the screen to act as the much desired digital voltmeter that some Wing owners install. I have a GPS in my aircraft that does this so why not on the bike?
For the Honda nav unit, their customer is Honda. Your opinion would go in Garmin's circular file. lol If you can't get Honda to agree, Garmin woudn't even consider it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess Honda is the one that should get the customer input, not Garmin. My oversight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
GPS Suggestion

I contacted Honda regarding my concerns regarding the Wing GPS system. There are important features that are required (in my opinion) for touring which is what the Gold Wing was made for. Features like multiple routes, hook-up to a laptop, pluggable/programmable compact flash, etc. would be starters. I was told that someone from the teckie department would get back to me but that hasn't happened so far. For the price of the GPS it needs some serious upgrades to be in contention with Garmin units that sell for half the price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I AGREE, FOR THE PRICE IT IS NOT A USER FRIENDLY UNIT!! ONE SMALL THING THEY SHOULD DO IS MAKE IT SO YOU CAN BRING THE GPS TO THE SCREEN BY HITTING THE "DISPLAY" BUTTON ON THE MOVE. I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND WHY YOU CAN CHANGE THE DISPLAY FOR A COUPLE OF SCREENS ON THE MOVE BUT NOT TO THE GPS. TO ME THE SYSTEM IS MERELY A MAP BECAUSE I CANNOT ROUTE IT ON THE EXACT ROADS THAT I WANT TO USE, THAT SHOULD ALSO BE ADDRESSED!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
It is not Garmin they have showed time and time again they know how to build a great GPS with feature after feature. Even MP3 included etc, it is Honda and their lawyers. We have a automotive based GPS. It starts & stops there. Like others have stated, it is HONDA who we need to talk to and I have my doubts if this will do any good. There are so many neat things they could include like you said a voltage reading for starters. I have the factory GPS on my 06, but to think it does not even have a compass page on it is a deal breaker. How can this be for a unit that cost so much not to include a simple compass !!! Oh I know push a button and it tells you which way it thinks you are going and there is always the North pointer. Damn near as good as looking at the stars HAWR. :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts