GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or a bad cap or coil? or fouled plug? HOW DOES IT RUN IN THIS CONDITION?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not good, as one might imagine. Sometimes when a wire is the culprit performance may not be real bad depending on how bad it really is, but you're still losing performance just the same. More times than not you can hear a wire arcing combined with a rough idle. It does make me wonder exactly why you're asking as I would think you would know that any of the aboved mentioned items are going to effect the running condition. That is not ment to be sarcastic just a question.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because

it all started when my bike started missing and running rough,someone on this site directed me to have (or check ) my fuel pressure regulator replaced . so honda did it, that wasnt the answer ,now they say (honda) its probably the plug wires arc ing ,but if they dont find anything wrong its commin out of my pocket.. so now i will track the problem myself and hopefully get an answer>>> my warranty runs out in two weeks,they have had my bike way too long, and nothing is fixed.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
All I can say is if the problem is currently there they would be hard pressed to get me pay anything! You might find it's to your advantage to find another dealer and call Honda to boot. Even if the problem shoud be intermittent doesn't mean that to find it that it's on your nickle.
I think Javern hit the nail on the head though, get the extended warranty while you have a chance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i got the extended warranty

ok

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I had a ford ranger that ran fine until I put a load on the engine going up hills. It was the plug wires. Hard to see arcing at night when you have to put a load on the engine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you have a bad plug wire or plug, you should be able to pull the wires one at a time while the engine is running and listen for a change in idle. No change = bad wire/plug. This may not detect an intermitent problem wire. Also, running the motor in the dark and looking for a blue glow around one of the wires might get you in the right area too.

I would hope that since the problem was documented prior to the warranty expiring, it should be covered no matter how long it takes to diagnose.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
as others here have suggested the easiest way I have found is check the wires in the dark, very revealing.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
scarredpelt said:
In the dark, with a spray bottle of water. Really show up the pretty lights.
That is close to the method I use. Wait for a really dark and humid night without a moon. Head out to the country away from all lights. Leave the motor running and wait for yours eyes to adjust to the dark. If the plug wires are bad you will see flashes of light here and there. If they are really, really bad the entire wire may glow from one end to the other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts