GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw one of these the other day:

Screw Pliers

Looks like they'd be handy for those stubborn Phillips-head screws that are often hard to get loose.

Have you ever used one of these before? If so, did it work well?

TIA!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Interesting tool, but I have done the same thing many times with a tool I already have, a small pair of vise grips.
Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
366 Posts
Digger,
...for those stubborn Phillips-head screws that are often hard to get loose.
Do you have a set of JIS screwdrivers? They are not "blunt-tipped" like Phillips and I've used a #2 JIS to cleanly back out the "Phillips-like" screws on the Wing.

The ACC screws on the Fuse Panel are a classic example. IMO, the factory must put those screws in place with an Air Screwdriver set to about a gazillion NmKg/N...!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most screws that you would use these pliers on are already stripped out from being stuck. The pliers just don't have enough grip to get them going. The temptation is to lay the pliers on their side and get a good grip on the head with the serrated jaws. This always results in gouging the surrounding material (putting something between the pliers and surrounding material doesn't work because that means you get even less grip on the screw head).

For stuck screws I prefer to use a moto tool to cut a big slot in the screw head then use an oversize screwdriver to remove the screw.

·
Vendor
18,702 Posts
Digger,

Do you have a set of JIS screwdrivers? They are not "blunt-tipped" like Phillips and I've used a #2 JIS to cleanly back out the "Phillips-like" screws on the Wing.

The ACC screws on the Fuse Panel are a classic example. IMO, the factory must put those screws in place with an Air Screwdriver set to about a gazillion NmKg/N...!
If anyone needs them JustWings.com

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Nope, never used it, grip pliers and a baseball bat, or a drill and a chisel. I agree these pliers would be near useless on any of the troublesome screws I have had to back out.

I did use a spork once ...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Digger,

Of course has a set of JIS screwdrivers :tools1:. He did a long write-up about JIS screwdrivers a couple of years ago :nojoke:.
Thank you for the heads up on the pliers with the bi-directional gripping serrations Digger :thumbup:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts