GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 2018 GW Tour for 2.5 years. I am still looking for a way to make the navi work. At first, Honda said to use Honda Trip Planner. That does not work. Then I called Honda and they now recommend REVER. I had a one year subscription to REVER and it did not work. Even their techs could not help. Then I tried Garmin BaseCamp and even it does not work. I have put questions out to user groups, forums, and anywhere else I can find and so far have not found an answer.

Both Cruiseman and EZ Moto Tim have videos showing how to create routes in BaseCamp and load them into the GW navi. That is great, but if it does not work once loaded it is useless.
===
Here is what I wrote to Cruiseman and EZ Moto Tim:
I watched your video about "Importing routes using BaseCamp and GPSBabel - 2018 Gold Wing" done on March 19, 2018. I have also seen other videos (EZ Moto Tim, for example) that have told the same story. However, none of the videos say whether this option actually works on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing navigation system - just how to import the routes. Importing a route does no good unless it actually works.

I have a 2018 Goldwing Tour. Your video is great, but how do you get the route to work? I have done everything exactly as you indicated, including successfully running the GPX file thru GPSBabel. For example, I created a BaseCamp route that starts with a 2.5 mile STRAIGHT road to the first turn. During that stretch, the navi in the GL1800 is telling me to make right turns, left turns, and U-turns. It just goes downhill from there. Not even close to being functional! BTW, every waypoint between the first and the last are set not to alert. I have tried everything and cannot find anything that works on the 2018 GL1800 navi (including BaseCamp, Honda Trip Planner, and REVER). If it works for you, PLEASE tell me your secret! I have not found it. What map are you using in BaseCamp? What settings are you using on the GL1800 navi (shortest time, etc)? What am I doing wrong?

I have had my motorcycle for 2.5 years and have yet to find anything that works on the navigation system. I want to be able to create the route on my desktop computer and transfer it to the GL1800. I DO NOT want to use a cell phone. I also want the navi to follow the roads that I select, not where it wants to go, and have upcoming turn by turn navigation. Originally Honda told us to use Honda Trip Planner, but it failed miserably. Then I called Honda and was told that they now recommend Rever. I tried a paid subscription to Rever for a year and it, too, failed miserably. Multiple contacts with the Rever staff was not successful in finding an answer as to why it does not work on the GL1800 navi. I have put the question out to several forums and user groups and, to date, have not found an answer as to what program works on the GL1800. Doesn't everyone else have the same problem? Are they not looking for an answer? Why can't I find an answer? The frustration is building...

Please help.
===

All I am asking for with the navi is to be able to create a route on my desktop computer, load it into the GW navi, and have the route follow the roads that I choose (not where it wants to go), with upcoming turn by turn directions. I DO NOT want to use a cell phone for any part of this. I don't care about POIs or anything else. Just a simple route that takes me where I want to go from start to end.

Doesn't everyone who owns a 2018+ GoldWing have the same problems? Why can't I find an answer? This is getting spooky because even Cruiseman and EZ Moto Tim won't answer my questions. I cannot possibly be the only one out there who can't use the navi. PLEASE HELP!
Thanks!
- Mike

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
Well, I'm no expert (neither is the cruise ship blogger) but I'll tell you this: Any route you create with a starting point and end point is just that. When you transfer to another device, your transferring those two points only. The GPS will chose the routing based on the preferences you set in the device. Odds are, the step by step will be different. If you want a route to be EXACTLY how you set it up in Basecamp, or whatever routing software you use, you need to insert a bunch of "waypoints." The more you put in, the more accurate your route will be when you upload it to your GPS. It looks like you're doing that but maybe it's not enough?

Also, make sure all route preference settings are the same between your routing software and the GPS. That means "avoid highways, U-turns, toll boots, faster time, shortest distance..."

This might also help. This guy explains things very well and his way will create a much more detailed route file to upload: How to use Google Maps to create Routes on your Garmin Zumo GPS - YouTube

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
This post has some recommended settings specific to the 2018+ Navigation System:

·
Registered
2018 Blue Tour 6speed, '98 Valkyrie
166 Posts
Also the GW navigation will constantly tell you to make a u turn etc. if you ride past a waypoint that it thinks you missed unless you clear that particular waypoint. It is possible to clear the last waypoint while in motion using left handlebar controls. As for the 2.5 mile straight road problem it sounds like maybe it is trying to direct you to your starting waypoint before letting you progress to the second waypoint at the end of 2.5 miles? Like mentioned above you need a lot of waypoints to follow the road you want to ride otherwise the GW navi will determine what it thinks is the best route to each waypoint in succession.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've done many routes using Honda Trip Planner and they all work fine. The key is to put enough waypoints to make sure it follows the route you want. Unfortunately Honda Trip Planner has a limit of 25 so depending on the complexity of the route you may need to break it into multiple routes

·
Registered
527 Posts
Kurviger or Mappite. Was using Kurviger but think I like Mappite better now. Easy peasy or I wouldn't be able to use them.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
PLEASE HELP!
You need to understand your BIKE has nav settings that YOU can alter. ANY .gpx file you upload will use THOSE SETTINGS to get you thru the route. THAT is why you need to use plenty of waypoints, especially if your bike's settings are "FASTEST" route and the file you created in a program is a meandering route.

If you already understand that, and already use a lot of waypoints and the nav still doesn't work for you, check your bike's software version and make sure it is the most recent download available.

I have used Trip Planner for a couple years. Once I learned to use it within it's limitations, I am happy with it. I don't want/need another device attached to my handlebars.

Reactions: Bulitt

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't own a new 1800 but my buddy does and I have been helping him with his. We do a route in Base Camp or Mapsource and then run it thru Gps Babel per Fred Harmon's instructions. My buddy says it works great. It is my understanding that the latest Navi update (bike update) contains enough way points (99+ ?) to accommodate most all routes.

So I would recommend that you try those 2 applications and see how they work for you... They seem to be working for my friend and his 2018 bike.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
When you say 'won't work' what does that mean?

The file doesn't load to the bike? or can the bike doesn't 'run' the file after loading? or..?

Like others, I've also always been successful with Honda trip planner.

'Doesn't work' isn't really indicating what step of the process you are stuck at.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was all explained in the 4th paragraph of my posting above.

I created the route in Basecamp, ran it thru GPSBabel exactly as instructed, only the first and last waypoints are set to alert, and in the beginning 2.5 mile straight stretch of road the Honda Navi is telling me to make left turns, right turns, and U-turns. Completely useless.

Mike

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

I created the route in Basecamp, ran it thru GPSBabel exactly as instructed, only the first and last waypoints are set to alert, and in the beginning 2.5 mile straight stretch of road the Honda Navi is telling me to make left turns, right turns, and U-turns. Completely useless.

Mike
Sorry I interfered.

You also talked about HTP issues before that, which is what I was referring to.
I have no info / suggestions about using those other products with the 18+ navi or with any other navi.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem. I appreciate any help I can get.

HTP gave me similar results: it would not follow my route, wanted me to make unnecessary turns for no reason, etc.

And yes, I have the latest software in the GW and am using the latest versions of all the other routing software mentioned.

If anything is truly working for someone else, then maybe I should reload the Navi software and try it again - just for fun????

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
I make routes on Rever with my PC and transfer them into the GW. It works OK but if I miss a turn or change the route, the GW always wants to send me to the next waypoint via the original routing; even though the new route is better. If you use an address as a waypoint and don't physically go there to clear the waypoint, the navi wants you to go there. I'm going to try a Google maps route via Car Play but Car Play only seems to work when it's in the mood. The mapping and integration tech on the GW is the only flaw in an otherwise wonderful motorcycle.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Mike
I only use the the Nav on my 2018. There are a couple things that I have found, that you may already know, that have helped me:
1. My first waypoint was my home address. I would take off riding and the Nav would keep telling me turn around, make a U-Turn etc...I started entering my first waypoint about a mile down the road in the direction I was heading. This solved that problem.
2. I was having issues with my waypoints (I use a lot of them) until I figured out that when I pin pointed a waypoint it was not exactly where I wanted, it was putting it just slightly off the road or off the intersection. I noticed that there is a Small Blue Dot that actually indicates where the waypoint is on the road. Since then I started looking and making sure the Blue Dot is where I want to go. The Nav works a lot better for me and follows the route I entered.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Also, be cautious of divided (four lane) roads when route planning. If a waypoint in the wrong direction of lane(s) is selected, guidance WILL result in exits and u-turn.
To avoid this mistake, be zoomed into the map (computer) and accurately select the waypoint.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Here is my low tech version: I gave up trying to transfer from one system to another. It is just too complicated and probably cannot work. So what I do is use Google Maps. I setup my trip, drag and drop and adjust until I have the route I want.. the stops I want etc. Then I identify a lot of waypoints, at least one every route change.
Next I print that in list form, then go to the bike and setup those waypoints using address destinations. Its not much extra effort and it works without Uturns and missed waypoints. Recently crossed Canada and no problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts