GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck with any desktop routing program that will work with the built-in navigation system on the 2018 Honda Goldwing GL1800? I know that there are several choices out there, but I have not found anything to date that works.

The Honda navigation site (Triplanner.honda.com) is absolutely pathetic. It creates routes that are so unreliable that most GL1800 users have resorted to spending $700 on a Garmin and mounting it to their handlebars. Honda has been aware of these issues for over a year. I, personally, have contacted Honda with a list of 15+ issues with their trip planning software. Rumor has it that they will be coming out with a major navigation upgrade later this month. Maybe it will fix the many problems.

The last time I spoke on the phone with Honda, they recommended using the REVER site to create routes, and not the Honda Tripplanner site. So I looked into it. It was easier to create the routes, and since Honda recommended it, I purchased a 1-year license.

Here is my first experience trying out REVER (on 06-10-20:

I created a simple 195 mile route from my house. It was very easy to create. I saved the route as a .GPX file in the Honda 2019+ format (the only choice I have for my 2018 Goldwing). I put the .GPX file on a flash drive and loaded it into the Goldwing. The trip starts out with a simple right turn from my block and goes 2.5 miles in a straight line until the next right turn.

As soon as I started out, the navigation screen began flashing maps and turns all over the place. It would take 80% of your attention to see what was going on inside the navigation screen. Very dangerous as it takes your eyes off the road. The screen was constantly changing. But here is the odd part... In that 2.5 mile STRAIGHT line in between turns, the navigation told me to turn right into a residential neighborhood, go around a round-a-bout, and return to the street I was on. It also told me to turn left, go around the block, and again return to the street I was on. In addition, it told me to make a U-turn ahead and return from where I came. All this in just 2.5 miles in a STRAIGHT LINE!

How in the world can this happen? When making the route, I just clicked on the map and clicked on the map again in a straight line 2.5 miles down the road. No turns.

What was occurring on the navigation screen was such jibberish that within 4 miles of leaving home I had to pull over and cancel the route. Thus, the entire ride was made with NO navigation.

Maybe the navigation update from Honda will help. At this point, I don't know if the problem lies with REVER or with the built-in navigation on the Goldwing. I suspect it is with the Goldwing as even Honda's own navigation software (Tripplanner) won't work with it.

Does anyone know of a better solution short of buying an expensive Garmin and clamping on my handlebars?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It creates routes that are so unreliable that most GL1800 users have resorted to spending $700 on a Garmin and mounting it to their handlebars.
Huh? Have surveyed "most GL1800 users" and found they have bought $700 Gramins? Or is your statement hyperbole caused by your frustration?

I use the Honda trip planner. I have used it many times. It is easy to use within it's limitations, just like the OEM nav itself. If you want it to do something it is not capable of, yes, you're going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remoandiris,

I am surprised that Honda Trip Planner works for you. Please tell the rest of us how you do it. I have tried it many times, with massive failures each time. And I am not trying to do anything fancy, just get me from one hotel to another (on my route, not Trip Planner's) on a vacation. I am not even inserting POIs. I have called Honda twice. The last time I called the guy told me he had just got off the phone with someone else who had the same complaints. Then he told me that Honda recommends us to use REVER instead. That was how I was directed to REVER.

Here is a list of some of the failures that have been identified in Honda Trip Planner (these have been provided to Honda):
1. Can't have a starting point in a route different from your current location - On the previous (Garmin) GPS, if you were not at your starting point in a route, the GPS would display a screen offering you the opportunity to ride to the starting point, or begin the route from your current location. It had the intelligence to re-calculate your route based on your current coordinates.

2. No waypoint names supported. Even though the Honda Trip Planner website allows you to "rename" waypoints in a route, the GPS does not utilize these names, and they ARE part of the GPX file.

3. Imported destination addresses are not interpreted correctly. One three different imports from the Honda Trip Planner website the GPS mis-read the final destination address. This could be some sort of flaw in the GPS coordinates interpretation routine within the GPS itself. I think what it may be doing is only looking at the Latitude/Longitude of the GPX file, and then it is mis-calculating the final destination and re-writing the address accordingly.

4. POIs are not saved between sessions. There is no way to select POI preferences and get them to "save". Also, POI icons do not show up on the map as you ride past them.

5. Voice commands do not speak "drive" or "lane" instead of DR or LN. When the GPS gives audio directions, it does not use words like "lane" or "drive".

6. Inferior map display on-screen. Often the map display is zoomed out so far as to be useless information.

7. No way to invoke audio instructions (previous model you could push Zoom). On the previous GPS, you could invoke audio instructions for the next action in a route. For example, pressing the zoom button on the left hand control would instruct the GPS to announce "in 3 miles, take exit 121 toward Dallas".

8. GPS Maps are either out of date or inaccurate.

9. Setting the HOME destination is non-intuitive. And, that is being generous. The only way I have figured out how to set the HOME destination is to ride to a different location, set my home address as the destination, then ROUTE to it using GO. After arrival, I can use the Previous Destinations screen from which to select my home address as the HOME destination.

10. Audio navigation stops working after a stop/restart. When on a route and you stop the bike, say to get gas, and then restart the bike, the navigation re-assumes the route but the audio navigation goes away. So, it appears to be a bug that when the NAVI is turned OFF, then back ON, even though it will resume the route, the audio navigation is no more. You can cancel the route, and restart the route, and audio will come back. However, if you start a route it will ALWAYS want to take back to the starting waypoint. It cannot recognize where you are on the route and re-calculate accordingly. BIG problem.

11. No way to store the CURRENT LOCATION as a Favorite. You MUST know the address to store it as a favorite. Let's say you are sitting in the parking lot of a restaurant that you would like to save as a favorite. There is no way to SAVE CURRENT LOCATION as a favorite. This should be an option in the Add Favorite menu. To add as a favorite, you must KNOW the address. This the same with setting the HOME location. You should always be able to select the CURRENT LOCATION as a destination for HOME or FAVORITE. After all, the GPS knows where it is.
(Possible work-around: Move the cursor with the wheel slightly off, then press the wheel and you can save the position as favorite.)

12. My biggest peeve with Trip Planner: When setting waypoints on the map (in order to force the program to take the road I want to take), you have to zoom in fully and delicately place the waypoint on the center of the right side of the road. Otherwise, when you are riding and pass that waypoint, if you don't run directly over it (even if it is 10 feet off the road) the navigation wants you to turn around and go back to "touch" the waypoint. Unless you DO zoom in, Trip Planner can place the waypoint off the side of the road, and does so regularly. As soon as you add a stop, it zooms fully out. You have to zoom back in and re-center the map each time. And most of the time you will find that the end of the route line is not EXACTLY where you want it (around the corner, off the road, etc) which means it will fail if you don't run directly over it during your ride. You waste a lot of time zooming in while designing a route.

13. Second biggest peeve: You cannot "drag" the route to another road (this is related to #13 above). Click and holding on the route just moves the entire map. This would make changing the route ever so much easier. The help file says you can do this, but it has never worked for me.

BTW...Cruiseman of Cruiseman's Garage on YouTube is one who purchased an expensive Garmin and clamped it onto his handlebars. He gave up on both Tripplanner and REVER. I have seen others in forums who have done the same.

Frustrated? Yes. It would be nice if the navigation worked and was useful. I really have my fingers crossed for this next "major" navigation update...

Mike
PS...Most of the above issues are from August of 2019 (except for my peeves). As far as I can tell, the only real change Honda made to the February 2020 update was to add 99 waypoints. Not much else changed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I tried google Maps because you can drag the routes to roads you want to use ie avoiding some freeways, but unfortunately the Honda Nav system seems to "optimize" the imported route so you lose the hours spent dragging/customizing a route. The only way to use roads you want is to set a lot of waypoints but as you mention that doesn't always work requiring Uturns. I finally had some success by chopping the Google Maps route into 10 smaller routes using just a start and a finish on the roads I wanted.

On the plus side you spend way more riding time, seeing sites you never planned on !!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Like I said...use it within it's limitations.

#4, POI icons will show depending on the scale you have the map set to.
#6, why don't you change the zoom scale?
#7, I guess since they give you a visual of the next action, they figure an audio notice is redundant.
#8, unless it is a live feed, maps are almost always out of date. Even TomTom provides map updates a few times a year.
#9, yeah, it is a bit of a PITA, but do you change your home setting very often? I've only done it 4 times this year.
#10, huh?? Maybe you need to load the last update again. I don't have this problem. Yes, the nav is slow to initialize. That is why I turn the knob as soon as I finish pumping gas. By the time I put my gloves back on, the nav is up and telling me which direction to turn out of the gas station.
#11, maybe the next update will add this feature. I move so frequently this doesn't bother me. Have no need to add a bunch of current locations.
#12, I do the same thing you do with routing. I zoom in and drop a spot to force the software to take me the route I want to go. Easy. You could just delete the waypoint on the fly. I've done that quite a bit. Did it several times when I was on a recent 500+ mile day.

I don't watch anything with Cruiseman in it. He voice is like nails on a chalkboard and he talks waaaaay to much, IMO.

The biggest gripe I have with the nav system is the street naming conventions. US HWY vs US Highway, and stuff like that. I use the hwy number first and hope the nav finds the road. If not, I start plugging away.

It is what it is.

Reactions: CarpeDiem

·
Registered
445 Posts
Like I said...use it within it's limitations....
Seems like we are discussing 3 different items: Trip Planner ie Welcome to the Honda Powersports Trip Planner
Revers Rever
and the Honda Nav

Honda Trip Planner I cannot get to do anything. No way to move a route. Clicking on the Blue route moves the whole map. Creating a waypoint goes to that waypoint and then back to the route. Avoid Highways puts me on a highway. Finally after 10 waypoints I got the route I wanted for a 250 mile trip but so what.

Revers I could at least move the route by click and drag but it creates a waypoint everywhere I did this so a bit better but still useless. I have not tried importing the GPX because nothing really on it. Maybe if you sign up more features are included but the free trial gave me nothing.

I gave up and just use the Honda Nav standing there for half an hour before I get the route I want. Import seem to change the route.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are absolutely right. 3 different items. The built in navigation may be changing the imported routes. You really need to design the custom routes on a computer as it is far easier, but neither Trip Planner or Rever work well.
I have the paid version of Rever. I contacted them and they recommend using your iPhone with the built in Apple Car Play. That does not help those of us who have Androids. Rumor has it that the next Honda firmware update will add Android Auto. But Rever says Android will not allow 3rd party apps so they don't have any way to build their product for Android Auto. I checked on this and it is true about the 3rd party apps.

Has anyone tried creating a custom route with Google Maps and then loading the finished map URL into the free Mapstogpx.com web site to download a gpx file for the navigation? I will try that next.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The built in navigation may be changing the imported routes.
This happened to me initially and I was pissed!! I "think" what happened is the bike's nav settings (fastest route, shortest route, avoid motorways, etc) overwrote the route I planned out. It was sometime after that I asked about routing and someone posted the requirement to add more waypoints to force the bike's system to follow the desired route.

It makes sense to me that a route planned on Honda's Trip Planner would directly translate to the bike's system, but no. That is what happens when one company creats Trip Planner and another creates the bike's nav system.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am becoming a big fan of Rever lately. It will allow you to construct a map, or borrow from other routes to create your own. Also allows export of mapping filed to the navi and will also record the route you're riding. It just became available for car play, but one of the flaws is that you can't bypass a waypoint through carplay yet. Rever is specifically made for motorcycling and their tech support, Bjorn and Lana, are superb IMHO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like Rever. It is fun and easy to create custom routes. You can drag the route to any road you want, the waypoints are not placed around the corner or off the road, and you can even put in the address of your next motel and it will take you to their parking lot. The problem is that once it is loaded into the Honda navi, it is hosed.
I still have some experiments to run. For example, I will take a sample Rever gpx file and load it into my handheld GPS or bicycle cyclocomputer and follow it. If it runs just fine, then that will confirm that the issue lies with the navi in the motorcycle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Kurviger website works great and gives you a lot of options and has a button that puts all of your points on the road. By adding some extra points in places that you think the onboard GPS will deviate from what you have planned, and by setting the onboard GPS to use the shortest route, you will find it follows your planned route quite well. Yesterday I created a route in Kurviger and loaded it into the bike GPS and turned the tracking on. When I got home, I downloaded the track and compared it to the planned route it had only one deviation from the plan. As for the onboard nav not talking to you after a gas stop, I found that by changing the audio source it gives the system a little nudge and all starts working as expected. The other possibility is to turn the bike off by switching to ACC when stopping for gas and the nav keeps running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not much luck with Kurviger. It could not find my house, and when I put in a destination to Prescott, Arizona, United States, it took me to Prescott, Washington (state). I will keep looking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use Kurviger Pro on my Android phone mounted on the bike and plugged into the Aux input. No need for the GPS to reacquire satellites when the bike is turned off for gas etc, the maps are updated several times a year, and I do the route planning right on the phone. At $4.99 for the app, it's a bargain at twice the price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NAVIGATION TEST RESULTS...
OK, I made a short test course around the neighborhood by my house. Then I created various routes using Rever, Honda Trip Planner, Google Maps, and Garmin Basecamp. With Rever, I saved routes using Track (static line), Route (turn by turn nav) and Honda 2019+ (99 waypoints). The Basecamp was a single destination address (my home) saved as a GPX file and loaded as a Favorite. The Google Maps was saved as a route.

All were saved as GPX files and loaded into my 2018 GL1800 Tour.

The results: NOTHING WORKED! Most of the routes were just hosed - sending me in all directions. The Honda Trip Planner routes all wanted me to go back to the starting location and proceed to the destination regardless of where I currently am (in addition to sending me all over the neighborhood - including onto streets that were not on my route). The Rever (static track) seemed to work OK when I started from my house (the starting point of the route), but when I tested it again by starting in the middle of the route it went haywire. I can't make a single destination location and save it as a Favorite with Honda Trip Planner or Rever as they both want start and ending locations. Garmin Basecamp allows me to use a single destination, which I did. After using it to save the location of my home as a Favorite, I started 1/2 mile from home. It took me 1.5 miles west to a street that I don't even live on and dumped me there.

I have been waiting A YEAR AND A HALF to be able to use the navigation system on my Goldwing. When will Honda fix this thing???

This beautiful motorcycle came with built-in navigation and I would like to use it - not a cell phone and not an external navigation device. If anyone has found a routing software that works, please tell me what it is and which settings you are using. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts