GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just courious. I know Fred Rau did a column a while ago in MCN about it. I leave my helmet and gloves on the bike when I'm away from it and never had a problem. Am I pushing my luck? Or is there sort of an unspoken agreement with bikers to respect other bikers belongings?
I never leave my GPS or radar detector out though. Fred seemed to believe around other bikers, that things were never stolen. My worry is how about other people that have there eye on non-motorcycle specific items such as GPS and radar detectors.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Bikers respect other bikers belongings - surely you're kidding? I've always figured touching another biker's stuff was a good way to get a size 12 you know where. I've never worn an expensive helmet, so I don't worry about it. I figure if somebody wants to stick their head in another guy's helmet, well, they want it worse than I do. Sort of like wearing another guy's shorts.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Silver Stallion said:
Just courious. I know Fred Rau did a column a while ago in MCN about it. I leave my helmet and gloves on the bike when I'm away from it and never had a problem. Am I pushing my luck? Or is there sort of an unspoken agreement with bikers to respect other bikers belongings?
There's always an element of paranoia..., even around bikes. When I park my bike I always (when possible) park out in the wide open where it's most visible. I rarely take my GPS or anything else off..., especially if it's parked with a group of other bikes. If someone wants my stuff, they're going to get it, so they might as well get it with the least amount of vandalism. Dont foget..., a lock will only keep an honest man out.

In all my years, I cant recall ever having anything taken off my bike..., and if someone DID take anything, it wouldn't be a huge hardship..., so long as they didn't break something removing it.

Am I a niaive trusting soul? I dont think so. There are a lot more significant things to be concerned about other than losing something off your bike. For example..., who's buying the next round. THAT's worth worrying about...

Seriously..., if I worried about everything that COULD happen, I likely wouldn't ride a bike at all. Heck..., I likely wouldn't even venture out of the house. Maybe some day down the road, some dork will walk off with my SunPass that I left stuck to the windshield, and then I'll really get p*ssed off and start lockin' 'er down everywhere. Till that time comes, I'll just step off, throw my gloves on the tank, pull my shorts out of my crack, and wander off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
that may be true but what about the other 90% who aren't bikers?
=================
Smitty said:
Bikers respect other bikers belongings - surely you're kidding? I've always figured touching another biker's stuff was a good way to get a size 12 you know where. I've never worn an expensive helmet, so I don't worry about it. I figure if somebody wants to stick their head in another guy's helmet, well, they want it worse than I do. Sort of like wearing another guy's shorts.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Gas, someone keeps taking it....Every time I go to ride my tank is almost empty....

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I agree with Brian, it is just stuff. I frequently forget to take the key out or to lock the bags. My coat is usually just hanging on the backrest or on the mirror. Hanen't lost anything yet, but probably will some day. Not worth spending my time worrying about it. Maybe too trusting or just not parinoid enough.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A Lady once asked me as I walked away from the scoot with helmet and gloves left behind in the seat, "Aren't you afraid some one will steal your stuff?"

My reply, "No, stealing some one else's helmet is akin to stealing somebody's underwear. You just don't do it." :lol:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Always lock my vehicles. Bike included. Why entice a good kid to do bad? I have seen too many kids (and older) roaming around looking for excitement. Boys and girls both. Their parents will defend them for anything they do, so they live pretty far above the law. Breaking a window or lock is too much work for them, though. I had my SE-i parked in the hospital parking garage while I sat with a church member's family during surgery. I was right next to the main entrance to the hospital. When I came out, my ancient radar detector was dangling by its power chord next to the bike. I guess they decided that UNPLUGGING it was too much work! (or, maybe they saw how old it was, not even LASER enabled) I would feel good about it being parked unlocked around a bunch of bikers, but not others.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Parked downtown San Francisco for a day right on the main drag and none of us had anything bothered at all.I'm sure there are horror stories but in a crowd the crooks don't know where you are either.(unless they were watching you I guess)..

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
As I recall a couple guys here had a radar detector or GPS pinched off their 1800.....

I lock my stuff up if I am not in line of sight of the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
never had a helmet or coat/chaps stolen, but had the right lower engine cover stolen when parked in a parking lot. Took three months to order a new one for $42. Gerbils have not ever been touched.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Had a bike stolen out of the garage once, but never anything taken off the bike.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Laid my canera on the seat with my back to it in Key West. Kids took it while I was BS'ing with someone else no more than 5 feet away.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
My GPS was stolen while I was in Subway. I was gone less than 5 minutes.

I've been to hundreds of rallies with what some may call an "unsavory" crowd. In all that time, I've never had my bike or anything on it molested. I once had a little stuffed animal on my GL1500 and it was stolen out of my work parking lot.

I find it interesting that "outlaw" bikers have such a bad rep, and yet I feel more secure with them than at my own work place.

Also, locks don't keep honest people honest. Locks keep thieves out. Determined thieves will get it eventually; that's just the way it is. If I need a lock to keep some one honest, then they weren't honest were they?

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
FLC2C_Cruzn'AL said:
Had a helmet stolen back in July '90, from the parking lot of a 'Chili's'
Someone was probably just trying to remind you that you live in Florida... hehehehehe

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Stolen

A guy I ride with had his helmet stolen. He left it on his handle bar and he was inside a dinner.

I had an Air Hawk seat cushion stolen of my seat, while I was at a diner.
Different dinner.

So thats when I started experimenting with the Aqua Aire seat cushion. 36 bucks compared to about 125, and having had both I think the Aqua Aire seat cusion is far more comfortable. Just remember to only fill it not greater than 20 to 25%.

As for me, I hang the helmet on the bars. If I was going all day I would lock it up or cover the ride. I question whether these things are being stolen by riders. A lot of it sounds like maliciousness by non riders.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I park all over the place on rides and around town. I allways leave my jacket, gloves and helmet on the seat. I have never had anything taken off my bike in 20 years of riding. I do lock and cover it in a hotel parkinglot, but thats more for fog and weather stuff. I also ride with a group of 4-5 bikes for 3-7 days straight and they all leave their stuff on their bikes too. no problems.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My husband almost had his leather jacket stolen - parked at a fast food joint in Yuba City, CA two Latinos walking across the parking lot grabbed the edge of the jacket and yanked.....jacket was wrapped around the backrest and stayed put. (My husband was watching from inside the establishment.)

In a crowd of motorcyclists we rarely put anything away.

In a crowd of tourists we put everything away. Now that we have the Kewl Metal Chrome CNC Billet Helmet Locks it makes locking up the helmets effortless.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts