GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think techdude may have hit the nail on the head with my bike. He had posted that if my battery tested below 11v while cranking, it could indicate a dead cell. The bike was purchased new in April 2018. I took it in at 1k for service, then again at 4k miles. I now have 6300 miles on it. If the bike went several days without use, I hooked it up to the Optimate 3 battery tender that was the recommended tender for the new Goldwing Tour DCT that I have. I spoke with Schroaders' Honda yesterday and they said they would test the battery. Then they called me back and said the battery was testing as bad. He said he would try to get it fixed under warranty but sometimes the Honda Rep gave them a hassle about replacing batteries under warranty. Has anyone had their batteries replaced under warranty by Honda?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I had the battery replaced under warranty on my 02 when the bike was 3 months old. The battery was totally dead and wouldn't take a charge.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,374 Posts
I think techdude may have hit the nail on the head with my bike. He had posted that if my battery tested below 11v while cranking, it could indicate a dead cell. The bike was purchased new in April 2018. I took it in at 1k for service, then again at 4k miles. I now have 6300 miles on it. If the bike went several days without use, I hooked it up to the Optimate 3 battery tender that was the recommended tender for the new Goldwing Tour DCT that I have. I spoke with Schroaders' Honda yesterday and they said they would test the battery. Then they called me back and said the battery was testing as bad. He said he would try to get it fixed under warranty but sometimes the Honda Rep gave them a hassle about replacing batteries under warranty. Has anyone had their batteries replaced under warranty by Honda?
The battery should be covered for at least the first year. If you get a new battery from a dealer, it’s supposed to be covered for one year as well. You should call Customer Service and confirm the coverage, (866) 784-1870 Their web page also says one year on the replacement battery http://powersports.honda.com/questions/parts.aspx

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would hope they replace it.
In my opinion, I think any bike less than 1 year old should get a warranty on the battery.
If they can't build a $30,000 motorcycle with a battery that can't last a year, somethings wrong.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
My then new 2010 battery failed (dealer replaced it under warranty) the day I picked it up. That battery failed (on an 18 day western trip) in Angles Camp CA a month later. I purchased a replacement battery at an Ace Hardware, and my dealer reimbursed me in full when I returned home. A year later that battery failed and I purchased another battery from my dealer. That battery lasted almost 6 years until I replaced it again (absolutely no problems) before heading west on another 22 day western trip this past June. Just like men; some last longer than others!

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
The battery warranty in past model Wings has always been 3 years according to Honda.

If Schroader’s gives you any static call Honda customer service.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oddly enough my DCT was delivered in April and after I returned home from a 9000 mile cross country trip in October the bike was put to sleep for a few days. When I decided to take it out and go for a short drive it would not start. Dealership had me bring the battery in and put it on their tester. Volts were good but cranking amps were one tenth of what they should have been. One of the cells were shot. Dealership said that batteries like this are good one day and gone the next. They did not flinch and provided a new battery free of charge.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
I bet with all the battery failures we are reading about the dealers are pouring the acid into the battery during the setup of the bike and are not fully charging the battery before the bike is put into service. We all know when you first pour the acid into the battery that the battery will start the bike. I've read elsewhere that a battery that is not fully charged before being put into service will never have 100% of its performance and a shorter service life.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
A battery not initialized properly will lose 50% of it's life and may not work properly from the get go. In this day and age it would be doubtful that ANY battery for new equipment or even in large battery sales stores or distributors get any proper start-up procedures at all that's why we pay double for them to pay for the warranty. Rarely will a new car battery last it's full life. It is all about $$.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
I bet with all the battery failures we are reading about the dealers are pouring the acid into the battery during the setup of the bike and are not fully charging the battery before the bike is put into service. We all know when you first pour the acid into the battery that the battery will start the bike. I've read elsewhere that a battery that is not fully charged before being put into service will never have 100% of its performance and a shorter service life.
Bikes are shipped from the factory with the battery installed. Positive and negative cables are disconnected. Batteries are sealed so no acid is added to the battery to activated it during set up of the bike.

Depending on the date of manufacture of the battery/bike and the date you received it, some of these batteries have been sitting for five or more months without receiving a charge.

:doorag:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Yea, the battery is factory activated. This started in 2009 or 2010 on the GL1800. Older models like my 08 had acid added, then charged after the acid soaked into the plates. Factory activated is supposed to be more reliable and last longer due to no worry of using correct charger to initially activate the battery, just top off with a battery tender ect if volts get low, however batteries can't ever be trusted to last any given length of time. Some last, some don't.
Everyone should own some kind of battery load tester. Good tool to add to the collection, then you can be on top of the situation without relying on dealers which may or may not even know what a battery is, let alone how to test and determine warranty or lack of.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to pick up my bike tomorrow. I know I will have to pay their towing charge since Honda won't cover that even with a warranty repair, and this will be over $200, since they are an hour away from me, but I will fight tooth and nail to get them to pay for the battery. I rode the bike regularly, had 6300 miles on it. Had it serviced regularly at Schroaders and bought the Honda recommended battery maintainer. Done all I could do and it failed. Hoping for the best and prepare for the worst. I will let you know. Calling Customer Service tomorrow morning.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Has anyone had their batteries replaced under warranty by Honda?
Over the counter Yuasa batteries, with Honda's markings, are warranted for 6mths. Not sure about the battery warranty that comes in a new 6th gen.

Here is a likely possibility with batteries. Many who buy a new Wing, end up with a non-OEM battery. They leave with a Yuasa, but not an OEM Yuasa battery with Honda markings which means that Honda does not want to be warrantying a Yuasa battery, only ones with the Honda label. Another is that when testing, they must be tested using a Honda's approved battery tester. It is programmed to spit out a warrantee code. No code ... no warrantee pay for the dealer.

I would ask to see your old battery. If it does not have Honda's label on it, I would ask why. That may be your best argument, especially if your Wing is being repaired at the selling dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I placed my Goldwing Tour order in last November and when it arrived, I went to get it so it dud not sit in the dealership for more than a few days before I picked it up. So are you saying that some dealerships take out the battery that comes in the bike and replace it with a Yousa? battery? What brand comes installed from the factory in the goldwing tour dct 2018?

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
I placed my Goldwing Tour order in last November and when it arrived, I went to get it so it dud not sit in the dealership for more than a few days before I picked it up. So are you saying that some dealerships take out the battery that comes in the bike and replace it with a Yousa? battery? What brand comes installed from the factory in the goldwing tour dct 2018?
Dealers do not take out the battery that came with the 2018 gold wings during the PDI/setup and replace it with a Yuasa battery with the Honda part number and the Honda wing logo on it. The battery that came with my 2018 base DCT is a Yuasa battery and does not have the Honda part number or the Honda “wing” on it. Here is what’s on the battery.

Yuasa
VLRA
GYZ20L
Advanced Powersport Battery
12V 20Ah/10 HR.
Charging Method
STD 2.0 A x 5-10 Hour
Quick 10.0 A x 1 Hour.
MFD By Yuasa Battery Inc., Reading, PA 19605 Made In USA.

:doorag:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got mine replaced last week. I went to go for a ride and the battery was dead. wouldn't even connect to the key fob. The dealer replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. I bought it in March and had 6000 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts