GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a few minutes over on the BMW forum and first reports on the GT/GTL sound pretty good. I was wondering if any Wingers here had given one a spin?

Maintenance costs scare the Hell out of me on a BMW.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've ridden a GTL, was not really impressed, was glad to get back on my wing.
Motor makes a horrible high pitched revvy sound, felt like I was sceaming nuts off it just pulling away, passing a truck on a hill at 40mph in third gear thought it was never going to pick up, lacked grunt, think I must have had a duff bike cos every other thread I read people rave about it. :?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I rode a GT and really wanted to like it. The engine is more smooth and quiet than the Wing. And after talking with a BMW salesman and BMW mechanic, we found that the slipper clutch ruined the ride.

When accelerating from a stop the clutch works fine. Then the slipper clutch cuts power for a moment as the clutch plates hook up. It feels like two clutch points. The feeling is disconcerting.

When engine braking the slipper clutch retards that process as well.

I rode a 2011 Concours with a slipper clutch and had non of these voids of power.
I rented a 2007 R1200rt for two weeks and found it well sorted if a little slow.

I'm dealing on a 2012 Wing today....

Mark
2001 GL1800 blue

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just a brief four hours through the Santa Cruz Mountians.

Nice, more like a sport bike for one up than the Wing.

My 6' 3" frame did feel rather cramped.

IMO this bike was built for a 5'5" euro gentleman.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
...I was wondering if any Wingers here had given one a spin?....

Geez, Chris, have you missed the several post of those who have ridden it? Bottom line:

Good power.
Not a Goldwing.
Basically a big Sport Bike.
Lots of Fun..
Not a Goldwing.
Passenger will not be as comfortable.
It's a BMW.... expect $$$ asso. with it's care.

I would buy one if I had the cash to burn, but would not give up the GW.... and, I've bought a trailer and hitch now... wife is expressing desire to try some one up riding, she's 50 now and, unbelievably, not sure she wants to keep riding long trips on her bike...

We're turning into an older couple... I'm currently in shock... Trailer is on it's way.... Rivco hitch is in the mail....

I'll probably cry the entire time installing it....:-(

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Just curious, doc, would you guys opt for the two up if the wife declines the long ride on her GL1800? Always thought you guys had almost the perfect situation....

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Just curious, doc, would you guys opt for the two up if the wife declines the long ride on her GL1800? Always thought you guys had almost the perfect situation....
What has happened as since moving to Montana and not riding all winter, she feels her skills riding the bike have suffered. Road to Las Vegas in late May and on the first day she dropped the bike in the parking lot, cold and raining as we left. That shook her confidence some. Having to ride all bulked up in the winter riding space suit makes it hard just to get on the bike, much less handle it.

Talking one day about it, she discussed she may just ride on back some, see how it goes. She has done this some, esp. after recovering from some surgery when she was not ready to ride on her own, and around Daytona, when parking one bike is certainly much easier to do than riding two, and she could drink what she wanted and not have to drive!

So, wanting to do a trip soon and not being sure if she wants to ride one or two up, I bought a hitch and trailer, as, she can't just say "let's ride together" and I put a hitch on and buy a trailer in 5 mins after her deciding... certainly, you have to be prepared ahead of time.

Prediction: she'll ride 2000 miles on a trip and decide she's going back to her bike.... but, oh by the way, honey, pull the trailer for me so I can take all my hats, cowboy boots, and girl stuff with "us".

It'll probably be sometimes we'll ride together and sometimes she'll ride her own, depending own her mood.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It's an S/T - comparable more to an ST1300 or an FJR1300, Concourse 14, etc... not a Wing.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
I rode one a few months ago and posted a report about it on here.

My biggest complaints were the drive line lash/jerkiness at lower speeds and gears, and the windshield distortion. I really didn't care for the ride-by-wire throttle system and silly modes they put on it either.

The suspension and brakes were nice, and it is much lighter and sportier than the Wing with gobs of high end HP, though a bit lacking in low end grunt like the Wing has (in spades). Its a nice bike, but due to the poor passenger accommodations, I just don't see it as a replacement for the Wing.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
What has happened as since moving to Montana and not riding all winter, she feels her skills riding the bike have suffered. Road to Las Vegas in late May and on the first day she dropped the bike in the parking lot, cold and raining as we left. That shook her confidence some. Having to ride all bulked up in the winter riding space suit makes it hard just to get on the bike, much less handle it.

Talking one day about it, she discussed she may just ride on back some, see how it goes. She has done this some, esp. after recovering from some surgery when she was not ready to ride on her own, and around Daytona, when parking one bike is certainly much easier to do than riding two, and she could drink what she wanted and not have to drive!

So, wanting to do a trip soon and not being sure if she wants to ride one or two up, I bought a hitch and trailer, as, she can't just say "let's ride together" and I put a hitch on and buy a trailer in 5 mins after her deciding... certainly, you have to be prepared ahead of time.

Prediction: she'll ride 2000 miles on a trip and decide she's going back to her bike.... but, oh by the way, honey, pull the trailer for me so I can take all my hats, cowboy boots, and girl stuff with "us".

It'll probably be sometimes we'll ride together and sometimes she'll ride her own, depending own her mood.
Most interesting, but makes sense. Thanks for taking the time.

P

·
0 Posts
I have ridden the K1600 GT. Here's my +/- list

+ Electrically Windshield
+ No helmet buffeting even at 80 MPH on the interstate in traffic
+ GPS is easy to view and in your line of sight
+ Engine has a great snarl to the exhaust note
+ Strong engine (but not as tourqy as the wing)
+ Very nimble handling (almost flickable)
+ great looking bike
+ Feels very fast - pretty sure it would leave the wing sitting in the dust

- Shift lever and rear brake controls are awkward
- Wimpy horn
- Mirrors are poor
- BMW - Reliability issues & pricey to own/maintain, limited dealerships

I did really enjoy this bike, but it could not be the only bike in my garage due to reliability/dependability concerns

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I have ridden the K1600 GT. Here's my +/- list

+ Electrically Windshield
+ No helmet buffeting even at 80 MPH on the interstate in traffic
+ GPS is easy to view and in your line of sight
+ Engine has a great snarl to the exhaust note
+ Strong engine (but not as tourqy as the wing)
+ Very nimble handling (almost flickable)
+ great looking bike
+ Feels very fast - pretty sure it would leave the wing sitting in the dust
You get all of this except the GPS on an ST1300, plus get Honda reliability and extensive dealer network at a fraction of the price. Mount a GPS and call it a day - ride away happy.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yes - the wife and I test rode GTL-16. - I felt it was a dominant entry in the Super Sport Touring Class in terms of feature and performance, however it also cost $10K more than all the other sport tourers.

Is not an all-day-trailer-totin-2-up-gonna-last 200,000-miles bike. The GL18 has nothing to fear from this entry. See the recent RoadRUNNER comparison. I believe they reached the same conclusion.

So another "swing-and-a-miss" for BMW.

P

·
0 Posts
You get all of this except the GPS on an ST1300, plus get Honda reliability and extensive dealer network at a fraction of the price. Mount a GPS and call it a day - ride away happy.
having previously own an ST1300, I would not agree with that statement

The ST is a great bike, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't even have cruise control, stereo, Heated seats, etc... the list is long. Ispent a year and half trying to make an ST into a GL and it can't be done

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Ispent a year and half trying to make an ST into a GL and it can't be done
Well - as I was comparing it to the GT and not a Wing - that is inconsequential.

That being said - It would cost you a whole lot less than the 10k price gap between the ST and the GT to add a cruise, heated gear, nav and even a stereo to an ST. Plus you still have the superior quality and far more extensive dealer network.

ST vs. GT - ST wins.
ST vs. GL - not a valid comparison.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I have ridden a GTL. If I was sure my wife would be happy on the back of it I would have one on order. But until they become readily available I'm not even going to take her to the dealer to look at them. Because I have a Concours for myself it would be tough to ask my wife to accept a replacement for the GW unless she is really sold on it.

BTW, my thoughts on the bike right now after riding the GTL is that it is not a replacement for me for the Concours (or the FJR or ST1300's that I owned before). The bike is not sporty enough for my one-up riding (and I doubt if the GT will be either).

But for someone who wants a one-up bike, but is not as far to the "sport" in sport/touring as I am I think it would be a great bike. For one-up riding I personally don't know why anyone would choose a GW over the GTL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts