GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of there bike? How bright are they & is it an easy install ??? Thought if they are really bright I might be interested. On there web site they say they are REAL bright.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
I purchased the PURPLE lights and am very pleased with the brightness. I thought that due to their color, they wouldn't be as bright, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The toughest part was routing the ribbon cable from the lights to the controller box. The white ribbon wire can be seen in the photo and is attached to the controller setting in the seat area.

I am not finished with the install - the wire and controller box is going to be mounted in or under the right fairing pocket. I wish there was a way to shorten the ribbon wire. It could have been 4 feet shorter. Oh well.....

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Steve,

Your wish is my command! :bow:

A new connector and termination instructions will be in the mail to you tomorrow...

Maybe I should ship an extra connector by default, just in case??

I lengthened the cable so that the under-seat location could be reached, but the connector can be installed in the field to fit any installation requirement. I've got my controller mounted right between the headlights behind the fairing nosepiece, so the ribbon cable is very short.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Ken,

You don't have to tear the bike down to that level to install the unit. Most people have been installing the controller under one of the fairing pocket areas or behind the windshield fairing, between the headlights.

Some had mentioned that their under-pocket areas were pretty crowded with cellsets, power plugs, noise filters, etc. and wanted the option of putting the controller under the seat, hence the cable extension.

I was able to route the ribbon cable under the shelter by using a piece of wire as a "fish" without any problem.

If anyone is left with an "excessive length" of ribbon cable, I can either send a connector for field termination or send you a cable of the desired length, no charge.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Ken, as Jon mentioned in his post, you don't need to tear it down as far as I have. I am in the middle of a LARGE install of various goodies......... Lots of purple LED's within the frame area, removing my previous XM and installing my Roadie, a new Cellset module, some paint,and a few other things.

The controller will end up in the right fairing pocket. No real need to remove anything more than the right pocket and the front fairing trim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts