GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's the hole that the tab on the side cover goes thru, it was broken off when I purchased the bike, if I remember, there is 3 tabs on the side cover, and 3 holes on the bike that the tabs go thru to attach the cover to the bike, I know clear as mud,
Anyway, it's the tab hole that holds the front or forward part of the side cover to the bike !

More Info, it's the side cove, it covers the battery, it has 4 tabs, the hole with the grommet that is broke off is actually attached to the rear part of the shelter, or attaches the front part of the side cover to the shelter bike is an 01

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
A pic and year may help....
The tab hole that is the forward part is in the rear end of the top shelter. If that hole is gone, you have a more serious problem. So I am guessing I am indeed looking through the "mud" on which hole is broken.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
It's the hole that the tab on the side cover goes thru, it was broken off when I purchased the bike, if I remember, there is 3 tabs on the side cover, and 3 holes on the bike that the tabs go thru to attach the cover to the bike, I know clear as mud,
Anyway, it's the tab hole that holds the front or forward part of the side cover to the bike !
Yes ... year is needed. Also, just so we know what you are referring too. The side covers are painted and sit under the seat on both sides. The engine covers sit next to the riders ankles.

The side covers from 2001-10 have 4 grommets that secure them to the Wing.
Ones from 2012-17 have 6 grommets.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If you are talking about the plastic cover holes that I believe two of three go into? They are plastic with a rubber grommets, the plastic can be repaired depends on break...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I repaired the front rear fender where the bolts attach again the dealer was doing work and told this was cracked...... anyways before I went out to buy a fender I tried fixing I used crazy glue baking soda combo that was three years ago...still holding up ...

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If it is completely broken off you might be able to mold your own tab with Plast-Aid.

You mix the powder with the solution and let it sit for a bit, then it will start to firm up, mold it, then attach it where it needs to be. I love the stuff.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Did not use any primer,

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
More Info, it's the side cove, it covers the battery, it has 4 tabs, the hole with the grommet that is broke off is actually attached to the rear part of the shelter, or attaches the front part of the side cover to the shelter bike is an 01
I believe you're referring to the front boss on the left side cover. Yes ... lots have tried repairing various bosses that get broke. Unfortunately, your best bet, if they are still available, is to order in a new side cover. You will probably find that your repair will eventually fail, and possibly at that time you side panel may no longer be available. Don't forget to order in the GW emblem too.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts

Pretty hard to be sure from the description but I suspect the hole with the grommet on the top shelter is what is missing-broke off, right next to number 28 in this diagram ???
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2001/gl1800-a-gold-wing/shelter

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can probably make a new tab using "Permetex Plastic Weld" (DO NOT USE JB WELD FOR PLASTIC) It will cure in 15 minutes and can be drilled, sanded into shape. Don't use primer, just clean and rough up surface.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts