GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Wing, 2005 K1200LT, 2001 Ultra Classic
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Has anyone purchased\used an Ultimate seat?

It's hard to get a price from this site as it asks for a height but doesn't supply a place to insert that information. The site states this seat will stop you from slipping forward.

Has anyone bought one of these? or had any experience with one of them? Are they more cost-effective than some of the other options?

Thanks,
Wood

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
LOL! Of course people have purchased Ultimate Seats. They wouldn't have been in business very long if nobody ever bought one. ;)

Ok, seriously, I've purchased 2. I have one on my 2006 and I like it so much it's one the first purchases I made for my 2017. Three of my friends also bought Ultimate Seats at the same time I got one for my 2006 at Wing Ding in Billings, MT in 2016. I previously had the WingSoft large mod and I really liked that too. It costs much less - lots of bang for the buck.

I went to the site and there's a place to enter both height at weight. Maybe it's an issue with your browser? Try a different one. It doesn't really matter much because the seats are not custom built for an individual's height and weight, but there is the Mid-Rider for shorter people and the King for taller people. If I were you, I'd call them on the phone and talk to them about any options you may want.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! Of course people have purchased Ultimate Seats. They wouldn't have been in business very long if nobody every bought one. ;)

Ok, seriously, I've purchased 2. I have one on my 2006 and I like it so much it's one the first purchases I made for my 2017. Three of my friends also bought Ultimate Seats at the same time I got one for my 2006 at Wing Ding in Billings, MT in 2016. I previously had the WingSoft large mod and I really liked that too. It costs much less - lots of bang for the buck.

I went to the site and there's a place to enter both height at weight. Maybe it's an issue with your browser? Try a different one. It doesn't really matter much because the seats are not custom built for an individual's height and weight, but there is the Mid-Rider for shorter people and the King for taller people. If I were you, I'd call them on the phone and talk to them about any options you may want.
Well with the gazillion seat companies out there, one never knows....

But seriously, thanks for the feedback, really appreciated. Quick final question...

Does this seat truly STOP forward seat slide? That's my issue I'm having. It states it, but does it really do it? Also, how tall are you?

Is Wingsoft a separate company or a modification of the Ultimate seat?

Sorry for my ignorance in all this but I'vee never used a custom seat ever in my 41 years of riding other than adding a Airhawk to the seat.

Wood

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
WingSoft is a company that modifies the stock seat, It did stop the slide forward issue and gave me much more leg room. I'm between 6'2" and 6'3" with a 34" inseam. The WingSoft Large Mod moved me back 2" and up 1". Link is in my signature. The Ultimate King is similar and I love it too. No sliding forward. My ex preferred the Ultimate because it eased her back issues. I was fine with either. Ultimate Seats builds their own seat pan so you don't have to send yours in to be modified. For me, that's a benefit.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have one on my Valkyrie interstate.

Reactions: byekryam

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I'm finding through research is that the Ultimate SEEMS to be a better-designed seat (meaning just not a modification), whereas the Wingsoft is a modification of the stock seat. Meaning that the Wingsoft is a little better, whereas the Ultimate is redesigned altogether to eliminate a bunch of different problems.

Just as a side not, I just found a Saddleman seat on Craig's List someone got and was too high for them and selling which is much more in my price range, but I'm reading mixed reviews of them.

Just with the economy right now, finds have to be factored in. Not saying I'm going to go that way, just considering all options

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
If I understand your question is a purchase of a used Ultimate seat? Well yes unless the prior owner was 6.0 ft weighing 450 lbs I wouldn’t be afraid to buy it used. Always touch and feel if you could. I purchased a used Hartco my wife and I are extremely satisfied with the saddle. Good luck with your search…

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I am not familiar with the link you provided. Here is a direct link to Ultimate: Ultimate Motorcycle Seats

I have purchased three used Ultimate seats as well as ones from Hartco, Mustang and Corbin. If you buy a used seat, there includes some risk of it not fitting you well and no possibility of return. If you but new, most companies will allow you to return it for a refund or make fit adjustments if you are not fully satisfied. The advantage of used is that usually you can resell it without much of a loss. The reason there are so many aftermarket seat companies is they are all a little different just like we are. If you can find a rally, you may be able to try some different brands.

FWIW, I was really happy with the used Ultimate on my GL1500; purchased a used seat for my Valkyrie Interstate and then one for my GL1800.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I understand your question is a purchase of a used Ultimate seat? Well yes unless the prior owner was 6.0 ft weighing 450 lbs I wouldn’t be afraid to buy it used. Always touch and feel if you could. I purchased a used Hartco my wife and I are extremely satisfied with the saddle. Good luck with your search…
Yes, I was researching used seats given current financial concerns but didn't see either a Ultimate or a Wingsoft seat for sale, but I did see a Saddleman seat someone was selling because they ordered it and it ended up being too tall for them as they have a shorter inseam. This was not one of the brands I was considering, but given the price they were asking, it is an option as if it stops my forward sliding, it fits into my budget. It's just that the reviews I've read on the Sadlleman's are all over the place from great to awful.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not familiar with the link you provided. Here is a direct link to Ultimate: Ultimate Motorcycle Seats

I have purchased three used Ultimate seats as well as ones from Hartco, Mustang and Corbin. If you buy a used seat, there includes some risk of it not fitting you well and no possibility of return. If you but new, most companies will allow you to return it for a refund or make fit adjustments if you are not fully satisfied. The advantage of used is that usually you can resell it without much of a loss. The reason there are so many aftermarket seat companies is they are all a little different just like we are. If you can find a rally, you may be able to try some different brands.

FWIW, I was really happy with the used Ultimate on my GL1500; purchased a used seat for my Valkyrie Interstate and then one for my GL1800.
I would absolutely take one used if I could find one, just haven't seen one to date. Riding season and product\material shortages, I'm sure they all play into this limited used selection :(

·
Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
267 Posts
I purchased the Ultimate Midrider seat for my 2021 a month ago. Got it in last week and put over 300mi on it. Wife and I both love it. The stock seat sucks for us and had to do something. I originally did the Wingsoft mod and it helped a good bit but the wife was still not happy. She sat on an Ultimate and said "we need to order this one". So I did. It sits you "in the seat" instead of "on the seat" like the factory does. The wife said it was a keeper. She loves the stock seat of our 2015 and was trying to find one that sits like that. The Ultimate is close to that and she is happy (so I am happy).

Your butt is the ultimate judge of which seat is right for you. Some love the stock seat, some love the Corbin, Ultimate, Russell Day Long, Wingsoft...etc. You get the picture.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Yes, I was researching used seats given current financial concerns but didn't see either a Ultimate or a Wingsoft seat for sale, but I did see a Saddleman seat someone was selling because they ordered it and it ended up being too tall for them as they have a shorter inseam. This was not one of the brands I was considering, but given the price they were asking, it is an option as if it stops my forward sliding, it fits into my budget. It's just that the reviews I've read on the Sadlleman's are all over the place from great to awful.
I certainly understand take your time frequently check the classified adds here they come up all the time. Hartco and Ultimate followed by Wingsoft are the most popular I believe.. best of luck to ya..

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Reviews for ANY seat will range from great to awful. Everyone has a different hynie and their own opinions. Unfortunately, you can't really go by those. You have to try for yourself. Makes it difficult and can be expensive. Most any aftermarket seat is better than stock.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purchased the Ultimate Midrider seat for my 2021 a month ago. Got it in last week and put over 300mi on it. Wife and I both love it. The stock seat sucks for us and had to do something. I originally did the Wingsoft mod and it helped a good bit but the wife was still not happy. She sat on an Ultimate and said "we need to order this one". So I did. It sits you "in the seat" instead of "on the seat" like the factory does. The wife said it was a keeper. She loves the stock seat of our 2015 and was trying to find one that sits like that. The Ultimate is close to that and she is happy (so I am happy).

Your butt is the ultimate judge of which seat is right for you. Some love the stock seat, some love the Corbin, Ultimate, Russell Day Long, Wingsoft...etc. You get the picture.
Appreciate the dual feedback from both driver and passenger!

I used to be an ol' Venture ridder back in the day (late 80's\early 90's) and those seats were awesome. Felt like you were sitting in your easy chair at home

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reviews for ANY seat will range from great to awful. Everyone has a different hynie and their own opinions. Unfortunately, you can't really go by those. You have to try for yourself. Makes it difficult and can be expensive. Most any aftermarket seat is better than stock.
"Most any aftermarket seat is better than stock." I agree

And yes, that's why I'm asking so many questions, this can be a very expensive bad choice.....

Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Appreciate the dual feedback from both driver and passenger!

I used to be an ol' Venture ridder back in the day (late 80's\early 90's) and those seats were awesome. Felt like you were sitting in your easy chair at home
Amen, my 83 Venture rode like a Cadillac, a lot cooler on the legs as well.

That said, I do have an Ultimate King, I'm 6'3" and 300#. It came on the bike so no comparison to the stock seat, I do not slide forward, seat seems ok, a bit wider than I like but holds up for my 3 hr rides.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Amen, my 83 Venture rode like a Cadillac, a lot cooler on the legs as well.

That said, I do have an Ultimate King, I'm 6'3" and 300#. It came on the bike so no comparison to the stock seat, I do not slide forward, seat seems ok, a bit wider than I like but holds up for my 3 hr rides.
"Cadillac" (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Just an update for all....... Wingsoft only makes seats for 2018 + now

This is making my choice pretty narrow
Really? Well that sux. Good to know.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,328 Posts
Just an update for all....... Wingsoft only makes seats for 2018 + now

This is making my choice pretty narrow
Why don't you check out Russel Day Long...they take your body's measurements and weight...you send them pictures of you sitting on the bike and from all that info they make a true custom seat to fit you...a custom RDL is cheaper than the off the rack seats if made in vinyl...they can be made in leather and other materials too...its hard to find a RDL owner that doesn't love the seats comfort..a custom seat made to your bodys spec's is the safest bet with your money if your goal is long distance comfort. I couldn't be happier with the long distance comfort and build quality of my RDL.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts