GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions for anyone that has attempted this. Primarily, questions about de-construction, removal of chrome trim, spoiler, bumper, snaps, etc.

·
Vendor
16,369 Posts
I havn't had that experiance. But if I where to have it done, I would contact BushTec about purchasing new trip stuff and lid seal to make sure that you can get it froom them or where they recommend you purchase it from. They will probably give you good guidance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
trailer

Repainted mine several years ago,had to drill out the rivots holding the snaps, not too bad you need a rivot gun to go back together. Got new molding from Bustec. The hardest thing for me was getting the lid to fit back right. Had to crawl inside of trailer then close lid to adjust the hinges that was not fun. I need to paint again because we got a yellow wing now. Have fun, there is probably a better way to adjust the lid.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have a shop doing mine, a 93 trubo, this is its second paint in a year....long story. I did all the prep removing seals, trim, hardware, lights etc. We did not remove the lid, and even deleted the luggage rails from the top of the lid. Don't believe the bra rivets were removed, the guys did an excellent job.:bow:

·
Banned
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have a shop doing mine, a 93 trubo, this is its second paint in a year....long story. I did all the prep removing seals, trim, hardware, lights etc. We did not remove the lid, and even deleted the luggage rails from the top of the lid. Don't believe the bra rivets were removed, the guys did an excellent job.:bow:
How did the chrome trim come off. Is there adhesive?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
It is just sticky tape. On mine it had a joint at the back of the lid and I started peeling it from there. Comes right off. I bought new strip from Bushtec, I don't remember how much it was but it was cheap. Pull the tape off of the new strip as you put it on. Take a little care to get it straight. Everything else was just screwed on. Some of the threads were stripped when they were originally put on but I was able to fix them. Use blue tape to cover the areas your working on so as not to scratch the new paint. I was also surprised that some of the screw holes were not perfectly placed and would bind against the screws. Fixed that with a small file before the paint.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had mine painted by a shop but watched how they did it. The lid was the most difficult for us, but I stopped by Bushtec last summer and they showed me how to do it. They had one person on the inside of trailer and two people outside the trailer, at the front and rear. As the two people outside the trailer pushed down firmly and evenly, the person on the inside tightened the hinges. It was very quick, accurate, and easy this way.

We did not remove the bra snaps, neatly blue taped over them. The trailer was painted in four parts. The body, the lid, the bumper, and the spoiler. All lights were removed from spoiler and trailer. We removed the reflector lenses, but not the white light part under the lenses. Taped over them.

As others have said, chrome and seals can be purchased from Bustec and are not difficult to install.

I found the new owners of Bushtec to be very helpful last summer and did not charge me for fixing the lid, even though they were extremely busy at the time. I would not hesitate to give them a call with any questions or you can PM me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The chrome strip at the edge of the lid did just pull off, the strip I removed was a U shape channel, with a gum adhesive, it was the biggest pain to remove. WD 40 helped to soften it for removal, we originally replaced it with black that just "pressed" on, it was harder to put on than the old was to get off, got it at auto supply. I chose not to replace the chrome trim on the edge of the wheel wells.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had my trailer repainted with honda paint it cost me 800.00. The trailer was black when I got it and I changed it to black cherry. I was worried about the color match but it came out to match to a tee. They took it all the way a part and did the paint job. The paint is quite costly I can tell you that. I went to the paint store and luckily they new someone where I got my GW from and they gave us the paint no.

·
Banned
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are considering a matte black vinyl wrap on the entire trailer to match the matte black areas on the 2012 Wing. Plus, it will be a generic color moving forward. My brother has a little experience with the vinyl wrap and has been pleased. I like the matte black look.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I let Bustec repaint mine, it was not cheap, but looks like a brand NEW trailer. They disassembled it, inspected the frame and replaced the "belly band" and the heim joint on the tongue. About a 5-6 week turn around.

·
Banned
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bushtec quoted me $1800 for a repaint. Too rich for my blood. I am already into this trailer to the tune of around $5,000.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
1800 sounds about right. I paid $750 just for the lid at another shop. He said that most of the work was going to be the buffing out in order to achieve the same quality as the job Bushtec does.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I took mine apart and sanded it and had it repainted for $300. My best freind owns a body shop. You can get the chrome wheel well strip and the strip that goes around the lid and the bottom of the bumper at O' Reilly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bushtec repaint

i had our local paint shop respray my bushtec he mixed his own paint to match my newport blue 07 wing to avoid any problems with any trims he taped off or over all trims chrome etc also studs on front where taped the finished job was truly excellent at a cost of £400 sterling approx 600 dollars

·
Registered
679 Posts
--

I know this is an old thread, but nowadays (in the 2020s) I wonder how much paint jobs cost. (I know about three years ago my bike cost $1,000. when I brought in the tins alone.) Can't a good job be done by not taking off the lid and seal? It seems like a lot of the problems involve the lid. If just the lights were removed but snaps and some other items just masked--wouldn't that work? As to painting the inside, does that really matter?

--

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I had Bushtec repaint my trailer from Silver to matching my 2018 Gold Wing Tour Air Bag Model. I would suggest you call them and run your concerns by them. Good People!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've had this 1994 Turbo 2+2 trailer painted twice. It matched a white gl1500 when I bought it. I had it painted to go with my 2004 black cherry, then again when I traded for my current silver 1800. It was done both times at the same shop that paints Honda of Russellville's bikes. The inside is carpeted and they did nothing in there. This last time it was $400 complete, they took every thing off and put it back. They do good work.

·
Registered
441 Posts
About the same story here. I had my Ultimate painted to match my 03 wing in red and then white for my Spyder. Came to my senses and offed the Spyder and bought a white 06 wing so I didn't have to paint the trailer again. About 300.00 each time. Later got a deal on a white Turbo 2 and sold the Ultimate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts