GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has tried to connect an android phone to the new 2018 and what if any success they might have had.

·
Vendor
21,760 Posts
It should connect, and I believe you'll have access to your contact lists etc through the PHONE selection in the menu, but obviously your Apple Car play won't work. I think you'll be able to make and receive phone calls, and if Android has a Siri like function, you might be able to make that work by holding in on the bluetooth button on the left handlebar, but I can't say for certain as I've never used an Android phone.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Yes, very basic features compared to IPhone Apple Car play. Phone connection is nice, listen to Spotify info appears on display. Cool just not as cool as Apple Car Play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Love The DCT
11,592 Posts
Just curious if anyone has tried to connect an android phone to the new 2018 and what if any success they might have had.
I did. No problem. Able to play music and have access to the phone’s contact list.

:doorag:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Not having Android Auto on this new Wing is a pretty big speed bump for me. Like ...... "All those using Android phones, step to the left" if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not having Android Auto on this new Wing is a pretty big speed bump for me. Like ...... "All those using Android phones, step to the left" if you know what I mean.
Apparently you can thank Google for that, Honda was open to include it but Google said no. This is what I have read in a couple of articles. One is below.

Road show

"(This, I was told, was a decision made by Google, not an unwillingness on Honda's part. Google, I was told, is choosing to focus on four wheels for now.)"

Reactions: Doug Vann

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
Well, not on the 2018 but I've had full Android with voice control and FOBO displaying on my 2008 for over four years now.
:)

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/231211-android-video-out-goldwing-nav-gps-screen-wireless.html#post2938555

Sorry couldn't resist..I thought the 2018 Honda would make my old hack obsolete but they dropped the ball for Android.

imho
My guess... Android Car on the GoldWing bike may have to wait until Honda goes to a touch screen..I think that's why Google took a pass on this initial offering.. trying to use Android Car with a joystick would be an exercise in frustration.

My old hack is totally voice controlled since all the hardware is installed in the CD hole in the trunk.
"Ok Google" does it all.. but only below 25mph.. I never did solve the voice control problem at interstate speed..too much wind noise. I'm curious if the 2018 solves that problem for Siri..

Dennis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently you can thank Google for that, Honda was open to include it but Google said no. This is what I have read in a couple of articles. One is below.

Road show

"(This, I was told, was a decision made by Google, not an unwillingness on Honda's part. Google, I was told, is choosing to focus on four wheels for now.)"
Well, Google said that the problem lays with Honda as they didn't plan it properly and then asked Google at the last moment to rush for covering their mistake...
That's what told me from the "Android Auto" community...

·
Registered
181 Posts
My $100 Android works fine and has all the functions I need. It downloads my phonebook. displays who is calling me, and mutes the radio and lets me answer. Since I now have Satellite radio I depend on it for entertainment.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It also works great for music. My android has all of my music and I can see the song playing on the screen of the bike and it will mute it when the gps gives directions. No probs here with Android.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have Edge 7 Samsung, connect via bluetooth, receive phone calls, Pandora, Stitcher , Etc . through Wing's speakers. Just make sure after pairing, you enable phone's allow contacts, media, etc if your phone has those as options in its settings area. I seldom wear bluetooth helmet so I ignore phone calls as no mike on bike, until I pull over to use phone to call back. Also have all my cd or downloaded music on usb sticks, can use in either usb locations or have both plugged in and pick using source button on left handlebar.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well, Google said that the problem lays with Honda as they didn't plan it properly and then asked Google at the last moment to rush for covering their mistake...
That's what told me from the "Android Auto" community...
It's not surprising that their is confusion is it? Their is always a lot of finger pointing and not a lot of truth. We will never know why and who is responsible.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My Android is connected to the bike and my SENA 20S headset via Blue Tooth. I can access my phone book, and make and receive phone calls via the left handlebar.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
My Android is connected to the bike and my SENA 20S headset via Blue Tooth. I can access my phone book, and make and receive phone calls via the left handlebar.
Are you running the headset is directly connected to both or both are connected to the bike?

I have headset directly to bike and phone directly to bike.
Phone then works thru bike.
If bike shut off, then headset/phone connection is lost.

On the previous bike (2014, no Bt on bike) I ran the same headset directly with the same phone.
Listened to bike via speakers.
Primary purpose of headsets was for bike-to-bike. Phone was a bonus.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Are you running the headset is directly connected to both or both are connected to the bike?

I have headset directly to bike and phone directly to bike.
Phone then works thru bike.
If bike shut off, then headset/phone connection is lost.

On the previous bike (2014, no Bt on bike) I ran the same headset directly with the same phone.
Listened to bike via speakers.
Primary purpose of headsets was for bike-to-bike. Phone was a bonus.
I have the phone connected via BT to the bike. Ditto for the Sena 20S headset. Phone and headset are NOT paired to each other. I have a USB stick with music connected to the USB wire in the compartment in front of the seat. To my amazement, all works well. Next step is to pair wife's headset to the bike, for the rare occasion she wants music, it can come through the headset. We tried it through the bike speakers the other day, and she did not care for it at highway speed. I like it fine through the bike speakers when solo.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wondering if the "update" is really going to allow android phones to work with 2018's.

"Android Auto" app is like Apple carplay, allowing mirror features. Can't wait.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts