GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Out of all the research I've done on goldwings not very many people upgrade the performance of the bike. Some people add an exhaust but I haven't noticed very many people messing around with the bike. My assumption is the performance gains of any kind of modification is minimal. If there was a huge improvement we would see more people upgrading the bike.

As for other upgrades.... not very many other bikes can compare with the amount of options & little trinkets that can be added.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I am sitting in the back seat waiting for some real numbers.

When they come out I will buy. BTW there should be some decent gains to be had. A PC on my TL added 15 hp and it is a V twin. Having six cylinders there should be even more room for improvement.

I will start it again. WHERE IS THE AFTERMARKET TURBO PACKAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
If I were looking for more power out of my Goldwing, I would be more likely to check out Fred H and his reprogramed ECM. That route does not require cutting into the wiring harness, and also unlike the PC, it doesn't just trick the ECM into dumping more fuel into the cylinders.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I've got a power commander... Kawasaki Concours 14. Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :lol:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Done a search for Fred H and re-programming the pcm.

Coming back with nada........................

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Power commander

I have had the power commander installed on two HD's. Both times I regretted spending the money. The warranty is lacking, and the improvement is very questionable.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Have a PC III on my KTM, it tricks the ECU and allows remapping for performance upgrades…eliminates lean/rich settings when used in conjunction with dyno time.

The kicker is…it is pretty much obsolete now with the introduction of programs like TuneECU. If Fred can crack the Honda ECU codes, it may be possible to remap it…maybe even with something like TuneECU. This program allows you to download/share maps with other bikes that have same modifications, turn off O2 sensors, adjust idle speed and even adjust secondary throttle plates…plus a lot more.

If you are wanting better fuel mileage on a wing, slow down and lose the weight…without better air flow in/out, you are wasting your time and money. A wise man once said…why are you putting a band-aid on your elbow when the sore is on your knee?? JMHO

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
power commander v

I hooked my power commander v today its nice to have control over your ecm hook up your laptop go in there and play around you can save all the maps make until find the settings you like I know there exspensive but the bikes are too.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I hooked my power commander v today its nice to have control over your ecm hook up your laptop go in there and play around you can save all the maps make until find the settings you like I know there exspensive but the bikes are too.
Power Commander V's now give control over a bikes' ECU? Sweet! The only one's I ever saw only gave control over a bikes' fuel injectors and/or a quick shifter unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
power commander v

It only gives control on the performance part not all things in ecm sorry about that im still laying with mine.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm anxious to see some replicated results. I don't want to be a fun-buster, but I only expect to see very small HP/torque/and or mileage gains from a higher state of tune. What can't be expected is any real appreciable performance gains....emphasis on the word "performance."
Laws of physics dictate limited gains from fuel and timing maps in an engine with relatively low compression, stock heads, cams, and valves designed for that displacement and compression.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'm anxious to see some replicated results. I don't want to be a fun-buster, but I only expect to see very small HP/torque/and or mileage gains from a higher state of tune. What can't be expected is any real appreciable performance gains....emphasis on the word "performance."
Laws of physics dictate limited gains from fuel and timing maps in an engine with relatively low compression, stock heads, cams, and valves designed for that displacement and compression.

I think 10% is a easily reached gain with timing and mapping on a 6 cylinder. That being said it is about 12hp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts