GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Honda fixed the HSA...Hill Start Assist...light flashing issue? To anybody that has had this issue...has your bike been fixed?

I dropped my bike off today at my dealer for the Hill Start Assist light flashing error. The issue started at 6500 miles and the light has been flashing on every ride since.
I left my driveway on the way to the dealer and the light was flashing before I got a 1/4 mile away. I get to the dealer and didn't shut off the bike until I showed the service guy that the HSA light was flashing...I then shut off the bike and restarted it and drove it around the parking lot and the light wouldn't come back on...then I took it out on the road for a 1/2 mile or so and it still wouldn't come back on while I'm at the dealer....good thing I recorded the light flashing on two different days to prove that the HSA light is flashing and there is something wrong.
I showed my recording of the HSA light flashing to the manager before this warranty appointment was scheduled...but I just know with my luck that tomorrow when the service tech takes my bike for a short ride...due to it being too cold... that the HSA light mostly likely won't flash for him...hopefully by now Honda has a solution for this issue.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Several folks on here with manual transmission bikes have reported getting the clutch switch replaced as a fix.
Yes but some have reported that the clutch switch has been replaced up to six times and the issue is not fixed.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
mine continues to be an intermittent issue.
I contacted Honda Canada, received a case number.
Talked to the dealer, says to bring it in when it is flashing, of course, most days when I am close by it is not
awaiting to hear what Honda USA comes up with as the fix, so I can share with my dealer

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy about the HSA light flashing being the switch in the clutch. I bought a new OEM switch just to see it for myself and I was at a venders website and was checking out parts and stuff and seen that they also sold new clutch switches and cruise control switches for the Gold Wing...turns out that the clutch switch for the 2018 Gold Wing has the same numbers as the GL1500 and the old GL1800...sure looked in the pictures just like the new Honda switch that I had in my hand. It seems to me that Honda has been making this switch for a long time now with no problems with it on the old Gold Wing...but hey what do I know. I sure hope Honda has some people working on this HSA issue cause the dealers surely aren't going to know how to fix it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
just a shot in the dark, the HSA seems to be triggered by the operation of the front brake operation. That being said, and the certain operation of the pull twice to engage for the 5-6 seconds I think. could the brake handle or brake switch be out of adjustment? Or is there an issue with an add-on device like a light that is feeding back into the circuit causing the electronics which questions it?
TK

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
just a shot in the dark, the HSA seems to be triggered by the operation of the front brake operation. That being said, and the certain operation of the pull twice to engage for the 5-6 seconds I think. could the brake handle or brake switch be out of adjustment? Or is there an issue with an add-on device like a light that is feeding back into the circuit causing the electronics which questions it?
TK

Better to let Honda figure it out rather than speculating. :smile2:
Black tape will turn the light off.>:)

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer called me today and told me that the new clutch switch did not fix the flashing HSA light. I was told that they found some error codes in the system and they were cleared but still the HSA light flashes. The dealer told me that Honda told them that the clutch switch is the problem 75% of the time with this issue, but now Honda has told the dealer to replace the switches in both the front brake and the rear brake.

I guess we will see, but doesn't the DCT model have the same switches in the front and rear brake...and not one DCT model has had this issue with the HSA light flashing.

I don't know much but I can't help but to think that Honda is just replacing parts and hoping the problem will go away instead of putting some serious effort on this issue to figure out why this is happening with the 6-speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My HSA light stopped flashing after the dealer replaced both the clutch switch and cruise control switch on the clutch lever, plus the front brake switch on the brake lever. In addition to the flashing light, my bikes cruise control would not disengage with the clutch lever. That was a bit disconcerting the first time it happened. All is well for now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy about the HSA light flashing being the switch in the clutch. I bought a new OEM switch just to see it for myself and I was at a venders website and was checking out parts and stuff and seen that they also sold new clutch switches and cruise control switches for the Gold Wing...turns out that the clutch switch for the 2018 Gold Wing has the same numbers as the GL1500 and the old GL1800...sure looked in the pictures just like the new Honda switch that I had in my hand. It seems to me that Honda has been making this switch for a long time now with no problems with it on the old Gold Wing...but hey what do I know. I sure hope Honda has some people working on this HSA issue cause the dealers surely aren't going to know how to fix it.
My dealer told me it is the same switch as previous models......

·
Registered
432 Posts
TK
Mine has the issue and I have no add on devices.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
My HSA light stopped flashing after the dealer replaced both the clutch switch and cruise control switch on the clutch lever, plus the front brake switch on the brake lever. In addition to the flashing light, my bikes cruise control would not disengage with the clutch lever. That was a bit disconcerting the first time it happened. All is well for now.
If the cruise was not disengaging with the clutch lever this is definitely a safety issue that Honda MUST deal with.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know a thing about the electrical systems, but the dealer told me that they tested the switch in the clutch and it had too much resistance in the switch. The dealer said the new wings electrical system is more sensitive to resistance. With the old GL1800 and the GL1500 that resistance in the clutch switch didn't make a difference with their electrical systems, whereas it might with the new GL1800's electrical system....so who knows maybe the 30 year old clutch switch design just might have to be redesigned to make it better suited for the long haul with the new bikes electrical system...but still if Honda wants the front brake and back switch replaced why is it only happening to the 6-speed bikes when the DCT uses the same front and rear brake switches.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer is replacing the cruise control and clutch switch along with the front brake and rear brake switches with mine. I never tried disengaging the cruise control with the clutch..I've always used the front brake to disengage the cruise control.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The dealer is replacing the cruise control and clutch switch along with the front brake and rear brake switches with mine. I never tried disengaging the cruise control with the clutch..I've always used the front brake to disengage the cruise control.
Let us know how you make out after these parts are changed.....

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let us know how you make out after these parts are changed.....
I will do that, but Honda is replacing parts that have not failed on the DCT model...others are reporting that the clutch switch has been replaced 6 times and still failure. My gut feeling is that Honda has not gotten serious and put the proper people on this issue to figure out why HSA system is failing...if nothing has changed no doubt the 2019 models will be affected too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having this issue on my 2019 tour that I have owned for a year and have 5400 miles on. It started flashing very intermittently early on (once every few months). The past month, it has been flashing on every ride - it resets when I turn bike off and start again, but it seems to occur again as I am riding. Yesterday I took it to the dealer and explained what I had read on it - left the bike running to show them the light. They wanted me to leave the bike, but I am not going to do that to have it sit there while they wait for Honda to respond to questions. The guys at the dealer were great - they ran some tests for about and hour and a half - found some fault codes and cleared them "hoping" that fixed it, but the light came on again during test drive. They hooked it up again and found now faults and then ran again with no flashing light. The manager returned the bike to me, told me he would communicate with Honda and tell them the light was still flashing and that I should call him if it came on again so he could proceed with ordering whatever Honda told him to - the light came on during my 10 minute ride home. I did ask if Honda had a service bulletin on it, which they still don't. I suspect it will be a long process of change a switch, check again, move to next step, etc. But, at least the folks at the dealer seem to be trying to work with me and not leave me without a bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem starting 4 months ago, first intermittent then every ride. I bought the two switches for the clutch console,
1) pn 35335-MG9-951 SW, CLUTCH CRUISE
2) pn 35330-MB0-003 SWITCH ASSY., CLUTCH
together 40 euros and switched them out with the old ones, two weeks and 1200 km later, HSA still working.
Bike is a 2018 Tour.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After I first started this thread my dealer replaced the cruise, clutch, front,and rear brake switches and that fixed the problem...now 9k miles later the hill start assist light has started to flash again...it has happened 3 times now while riding...each time I shut off the bike and restarted and the light did not come back on for the rest of my ride so far....sadly Honda hasnt fixed or maybe even fiqured out the problem causing the hill start assist failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem starting 4 months ago, first intermittent then every ride. I bought the two switches for the clutch console,
1) pn 35335-MG9-951 SW, CLUTCH CRUISE
2) pn 35330-MB0-003 SWITCH ASSY., CLUTCH
together 40 euros and switched them out with the old ones, two weeks and 1200 km later, HSA still working.
Bike is a 2018 Tour.
Thanks for info - this does appear to be what the "solutions" are. I tried to explain that to dealer, but he says if he wants to get paid by Honda on warranty, he has to follow their process and wait to change items they tell him to. I don't know why Honda hasn't addressed this with a bulletin - seems they have had enough issues with it that it would be less expensive for them to just say change these items rather than play the investigate warranty service games?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts