GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not gonna name names here but I was just in the process of ordering some handlebar weights for the Wing, replaced the stock grips so need to replace the weights.
What...they weigh 8 Oz's or so. Was going thru the checkout section and noted the shipping was $18+. Way a second, that's 66% of the cost of the product.

Are they friggen nuts or did I miss something? Eighteen dollars to ship an eight ounce item. I mean this thing isn't coming from Eqypt and going to Timbucktoo.

At these prices how in the heck can the P.O. being going broke....Geez.

Oh well, I guess if you want something delivered it's their ball and their park so play or stay home.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Not at all unusual. It is NOT postage alone they are passing on to you, but the "handling". The kid who has to find your part in the stock room, the packing material, the packing and addressing, taking it to the PO or calling UPS and the profit margin the owners of the shop make on the capital they spent on all those things. I just received a package today with one pound of goods delivered by UPS. Shipping and Handling charge was $14.29 added to the product that only cost $79.99 for a total of $94.28. If I had purchaded $100.00 of goods, there would have been no shipping and handling, but this one product is all they had I was interested in.

But also consider if you had a brick 'n mortar store with your same products in your area. By the time you drive there and back and pay sales tax, you will have spent more than the other company charged you for the time and fuel and effort they spend in delivering to you.

My business charges for handling on top of postage too; for some odd reason the employees who do the work for me want to be paid, rather handsomely I may add. Should they do it for free? If my inclusive costs of shipping to my customer is $10.00, then how much should I charge my customer for post and handilng? My accountant tells me $16.67. I pay them to know such things so we won't go broke, so that is what I would charge.

prs

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is exactly what I was ordering. Sent them an email stating I thought that was a bit high.
Got a very quick answer: If you don't like it shop somewhere else...wow, talk about great customer relations.
Since there so anxious to have me shop elsewhere I guess I'll not bother to shop at Throttle Worx, after all I certainly don't want to put them to any extra work on my behalf.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Unfortunately we have to deal with it every day. We ship & Receive a lot of parts.

Not only what Pidgeon Roost said, but Fed Ex and UPS are tacking on Fuel Surcharges, etc. etc. But, they do pick up and deliver to the door. And, they are generally faster & more reliable than the USPS.

Dealing with USPS may be cheaper, but you have to go to the Post Office, get an approiate box, wait in line, you know the drill. And, time is money.

All the company can do is pass it on to the consumer. I don't like it either, but it is the way things are.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Start a wish list with HDL and when you get $200.00 worth place your order when they have a sale.
You get free shipping + 10% off.
That's how I do it, unless it's something I need right now.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I just happened into the free shipping deal from Sierra Electronics this week.

I ordered an HJC IS Max BT helmet, cost aprox $190 with shipping it was to be another $15 or so. I then remember my wife's helmet needed a new face shield and asked to purchase a replacement, cost $21.50. The salesman says OK your total is now $211.50, shipping is now free. What? Yes, any order with them over $199 is free ground shipping. If I had not needed and ordered the extra face shield (plus me not researching their shipping policy) I would have been charged within a few bucks of the cost of that new shield. I learned to pay better attention!

Regards,

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
fREE SHIPPING. wHATS tHAT. Oh sorry - i forgot what with all the blood rushing to my head downunder here in New Zealand. Looking at your shipping rates, well.....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Shipping costs is one of those unfortunate things that comes along with the convenience of ordering over the internet. I think in some cases its a way of adding back in some profit and allowing them to aadvertise low prices.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
It's kind of like getting a pizza. If you get it delivered you do not use any gas, or spend any time to get it. But you are expected to tip the deliverer. I guess if you do not care for that idea you can go pick it up. Eighteen dollars seems kind of high to me, but again, it depends on the amount of inconvenience you want to exert to go get it. Pig hit the nail on the head. A company has a whole menagerie of people they they need to pay to ship just one order. If I see shipping is more than I want to pay, I just keep looking.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Shipping and "handling" is a rip off. Yes, you must pay your help. That is a cost of doing business. Just like your rent and utilities. Your advertised price ought to include your expenses. When you say you can deliver for $49.95 it ought to be $49.95 plus actual shipping cost. If you can't deliver for $49.95 and pay someone to "handle" it, be honest and show the price you can deliver it for.

It's as bad as dealers who quote a price then when you get the bill they have added "expendables" and "disposal fees". Why not state up front what it costs to do business with you instead of quoting a low price then tacking on to it after the deal is done?

·
Registered
297 Posts
18 bucks?

Shipping and "handling" is a rip off. Yes, you must pay your help. That is a cost of doing business. Just like your rent and utilities. Your advertised price ought to include your expenses. When you say you can deliver for $49.95 it ought to be $49.95 plus actual shipping cost. If you can't deliver for $49.95 and pay someone to "handle" it, be honest and show the price you can deliver it for.

It's as bad as dealers who quote a price then when you get the bill they have added "expendables" and "disposal fees". Why not state up front what it costs to do business with you instead of quoting a low price then tacking on to it after the deal is done?
:agree:
I couldnt agree more! I see it on eBay all the time, the same part for different prices and shipping costs that can be wildly different. It seems that a lot of people put the profit margin in the shipping and I am sorry, but I wouldnt buy from someone who charged 18 bucks to ship an 8 ounce package..

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
To answer your question, Yes, it seems it has. And it has passed several other members, too. Find another vendor (like our board sponsor at a well-noted free shipping plus $7.50 handling up to $200 and all free above that) and buy elsewhere. If you don't like the prices in a store, do you go out in the street and yell about it, or just go to another store?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Boy, I miss the good old days when you didn't have all these problems.

You went to the local bike shop, or maybe the one in a neighboring town, and you could buy whatever they just happened to have in stock. Or, you could wait FOREVER.

You didn't have to figure out which model or color you wanted. They had both.

You didn't have to worry about having ten viable competitors for your business and taking 50 seconds to figure how much the shipping and handling were in order to know the real price.

It was a simpler time. And, IT SUCKED !!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Handling charges are the biggest scam on the planet. Except for rare circumstances, I will not buy anything from an online company that has exorbitant shipping and/or handling charges. I don't care what their reputation is.

The fact that they have to pay their employees is a lousy excuse. The labor in a brick and mortar store is far greater than an online retailer, yet I don't pay a handling fee when I shop at Best Buy, or Walmart, or even my local motorcycle dealer.

Companies with store fronts build their labor costs into the price of the product. It is a common practice with many online retailers to try and fool customers into thinking they are getting the lowest price, and then tack on the extra charges with the shipping. Sorry. I'm not quite that stupid. $18 in shipping and handling for 2 lbs? I wouldn't even waste my time emailing them. I will go elsewhere and let them find some other sucker.

One other thing to consider is that any smart company that lives off of shipping is going to have their own UPS or Fedex shipping computer in their shipping department. These sellers get special low rates that you and I can't get.

When I started my little side business, I never flinched. Right from the start, I factored all of my costs of doing business into the cost of my service. Not only is the cost of the work built in, but so is the time it takes to box it up, the cost of the packaging, as well as Paypal fees. I even factor in the shipping. There are no extra charges. (although Ohio residents are going to have to start paying the sales tax soon.) If Paypal usage becomes the preferred method of payment, I won't charge extra for it. I will build it into a future price increase.

It may turn out that I am a lousy businessman for doing it that way, but it is what I believe to be the honest and right way to treat customers.

On average, I can buy products off of Amazon as cheap as anywhere, yet there are no handling charges, and in most cases free shipping.

Ebay is a unique situation. It has become rather commonplace on Ebay for sellers to sell their products at a very low price and add on high handling charges. they do it in order to circumvent Ebay's increasingly insane sale's fees. Sellers pay commissions based on the cost of the product. But they don't pay it on shipping or handling. I think it is really sleezy, and I avoid those sellers. But I do understand why they do it.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Shipping fees have become a part of life now. I recently bought a bunch of yard stuff through Amazon and almost gacked up a furball when I saw the shipping fees. But then I considered how much time it was going to take to buy the same stuff locally, how much gas it would take, how many phone calls and how much disappointment I would feel when I showed up and the person on the phone had misrepresented what they really had. I was trying to purchase two 25 pound bags of a fertilizer called "Rich Earth" and when I showed up the sales girl had nothing of the sort, two hours of my day was shot as a result. I had to take another long ride to a place I knew that carried it, working it into an all day pleasure trip, but still, the bad taste was left in my mouth.

I do comparative shopping online now, comparing both price and shipping. Life hasn't passed you by, it's evolving and at times it's painful.

·
Registered
850 Posts
HDL has sales all the time. I also belong to their parts club. When a sale happens I make my order. I get the club price +10% + free shipping
Kuryakyn handle bar weights are $34.19 club price + great customer service.

dd

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
HDL has sales all the time. I also belong to their parts club. When a sale happens I make my order. I get the club price +10% + free shipping
Kuryakyn handle bar weights are $34.19 club price + great customer service.

dd
Don't forget to add in that $7.50 handling charge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts