GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a million opinions regarding the comfort of the stock GL1800 seat. In my case, the first 30,000 miles on the stock seat were just fine and I always wondered why some of you complained about it. Well, just about when I crossed the 30,000 mile mark, I started noticing after riding only a few hundred miles I'd get uncomfortable pressure points on my butt bones. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm guessing the foam in my stock seat has gone flat, but it's just a guess. I had a Russell Day Long on my BMW RT and loved it, so I'm going to get one for the Goldwing now, but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed a reduction in seat comfort after a certain number of miles? Does foam really go flat?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have modified brand new seats and seats with 100K miles on them. They all look the same, and all have the same shape.... flat

My guess is your butt finally had enough :)

John

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Seems the stock seat was very comfortable in the showroom, but a few months (and a few thousand miles) later I noticed the same butt burn I have experienced on all of my previous GoldWings. Time to order a new seat.

I think the foam breaks down more quickly for some riders than others; maybe weight is a factor. But some riders never complain about the seat.

I was lucky to discover the Russell Day-Long saddle years ago. I've been satisfied with every one I purchased.

Len

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My butt gave up?

Oh crap..........there goes another body part! Damn.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Re: My butt gave up?

N79YP said:
Oh crap..........there goes another body part! Damn.
Too bad we can't get an extended warranty on some body parts. That would be the first one I'd return. :D

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
They do go flat...I'm having my seat done by Dakota Winds...in October...check out his site:

http://www.gelseat.com/

Form fits to those BODY PARTS... :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
That's not the first body part I would return.
Ken

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
If your happy with the oem-sit down-if not get the Bike Solutions

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ray,

I have experienced the same problem. I borrowed a seat (with low milage) from a friend and noticed an immediate difference. I sent my seat to Wing Soft and I'm very pleased with the results.

There turn around time is great also.

PS --- John, you owe me $6.00 now !! (inside joke)

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
stock seat has 153,000 smiles and still doing a good job for me, not as good as new but still very good

i have seen stock seats that were very flat after one year with extremely heavy riders

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Foam is foam and as you get on and off there are tiny bubbles in that foam. The more you use it the more bubbles you will break down. That is one reason that the aftermarket vendors tell you that it will conform to you after 1,000 miles.

Now you know the real truth behind the seat and how it wears out. The heavier you are the more bubles you will break. seat wears out faster.

Of course density plays a major factor in the seat foam.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
We're off tomorrow morning at zero dark thirty to Russell's to have seats made for our bikes! Even though it's only 525 miles, we're doing it over two days so we can knock off early enough to avoid the hot weather that's predicted. Supposed to be 100 degrees in Redding tomorrow. YIKES!! :shock: The seats wil be made Thursday and Friday, and then we'll make our way back up the coast, then inland around Newport, OR, and back to Boise. This will be our last "vacation" of the year as my wife is having back surgery in October to remove a herniated disc. Hopefully this and the new Russell seat will make riding much more enjoyable for her. Here's to a great week of riding.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Same thing here with 24K. My seat was great for a long time, then got worse. I put a fake sheepskin on it and that helped. Then an Aqua-Air and that helped a lot. I made a beaded seat cover and that was ok for a while, but now, without my Aqua-Air I've got a 60 mile seat before I get uncomfortable.

Problem is, I've only got one AA, and my wife hates it when I use it because she can't see around me, and we're planning a 1K trip this weekend.

Looks like I'll be one of John's customers this winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts