GL1800Riders Forums banner

DCT Goldwing Owners Only What Oil do you use

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this poll is only for 2018+ Goldwing DCT owners.

What Brand, Type, Wt oil do you use in your Goldwing DCT?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Right now I am sticking with the the Honda GN4 until other oils have been proven over time with the DCT.

Reactions: cgetlost

·
Registered
8,306 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
904 Posts
Use only the best; EVERYTHING else in the list is a sad, sorry, distant second to this:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use Motul 5100 4T Synthetic Ester 10W30.

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
I use Hond FULL SYNTHETIC

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Honda GN4

·
Registered
409 Posts
10w-30 Cuz that's what it calls for.

Amsoil, not because I've drank the Coolaid (although I know it's good stuff) but because I could buy it cheaper than the Honda oil at the local dealer.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you're not using Honda oil, hopefully what you are using meets the OEM requirements on pg 145 of the owner's manual.

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you're not using Honda oil, hopefully what you are using meets the OEM requirements on pg 145 of the owner's manual.
Rotella T6 meets or exceeds all listed standards. It's what I've been using in my DCT motorcycles for 5 years, if I can't get my usual supply of whale oil, that is...

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Rotella T6 meets or exceeds all listed standards. It's what I've been using in my DCT motorcycles for 5 years, if I can't get my usual supply of whale oil, that is...
I use Rotella also but do not believe it meets all standards. I believe one of the standards is SG or higher. the (S) is for gasoline engines. Rotella is not rated S, it has a C rating for diesel engines.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I use Rotella also but do not believe it meets all standards. I believe one of the standards is SG or higher. the (S) is for gasoline engines. Rotella is not rated S, it has a C rating for diesel engines.
SG applies to engines that are 1993 and older; it was obsoleted about 2 decades ago. It means the oil is not rated for EGR use; CD and others are diesel, are current, and are rated for EGR use. CD exceeds SG by quite a bit - and about 2 decades.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
SG applies to engines that are 1993 and older; it was obsoleted about 2 decades ago. It means the oil is not rated for EGR use; CD and others are diesel, are current, and are rated for EGR use. CD exceeds SG by quite a bit - and about 2 decades.
look in the manual. it may not be sg but it is "s" something with the s rating meaning gasoline engine. Rotella is jot rated for gasoline engines any longer. I do agree that it most likely is far superior to gasoline rated oils but technically it does not meet specs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
SG went away years ago even though the owner's manual still uses SG or higher in their requirements. The current spec recommended for the Honda Gold Wing has an API certification of SJ or SL. The two other higher API certs go to SM and SN but these are not recommended as they are resource/energy conserving oils. The Honda GN4 that many use holds an API certification of SJ.

CH-4, CI-4, CJ-4, and CK-4 is recommended for diesel engines and is specifically formulated for use with diesel fuel that contains sulfur (CH-4 and CI-4 = 0.5% by weight and CJ-4 and CK-4 = 15ppm or 0.0015% by weight). Again, many folks use Rotella T6 (CK-4) and report never having an issue with it, I use it in my 7.3 diesel, but I tend to stick with oil designed specifically for a 4 stroke motorcycle for the GW.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used Honda 10w30 at 4,000 change, but my Honda dealer did not have it for my 12,000 change. He stated in Texas it’s better to use 10w40 & since that’s all they offered, I went with it. I’ve used Rotella in my 2014 CTX1300D for every oil change with no issues, also. I will stay with Honda oil with my Goldwing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts