GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running the BT-45 on the front of the mistress and am shopping for it's replacement with about 70% tread left on it.

I won't go into all the things that suck about this tire but just know I am not a happy camper pushing this tire.

I am looking for the best balsnce between

Longevity- miles on tires

stickyness- want one that will stay under the bike dragiing pegs in triple digit speeds if need be.

quietness- I dont want to hear the front tire buzzing down the road

smoothness- dont want a tire that buzzes down the road.

So what say you, what is the best all around tire out there?

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
514 Posts
You could try a Bridgestone 709G, I've been very happy with all mine and I get close to 19- 20,000 miles on it running two up most of the time. We do alot of flat roads down here in South Florida with a few trips per year to the mountains.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
+1 for the 709, though I can't offer road test reports for triple-digit/2-up/twisty riding.
For that you might need a Flux Capacitor.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Do you have it mounted in reverse rotation?
Just wondering
Thanks
Dog, it dont matter running it forward or backward. If you look at any of the forums theres been no issues with running it either way. Im on my 2nd BT45 and Im running it forward like the last one with no issues.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I must have gotten a defective one. My BT-45 is smooth as a baby's butt, quiet as a mouse, grips like the bike's on rails, and wears like iron. 5000 miles so far and loving it. I hope you find one you'll like.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I must have gotten a defective one. My BT-45 is smooth as a baby's butt, quiet as a mouse, grips like the bike's on rails, and wears like iron. 5000 miles so far and loving it. I hope you find one you'll like.:thumbup:

Same for me. BT-45 works well.

I think if I were to change tires I would go with the Bridgestone 709.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just put a BT45 on my bike it felt fine but only have a few miles on it. I had a Bridgestone 706 and got 9000 miles on it after buying the bike. Don't know what it had before that, looked new when I bought the bike. It was down to the ware bars ran it at 38 PSI.:coffee1:

·
Registered
442 Posts
My first 45 made it 24K. Smooth as silk.
Number two was horrible but I was too lazy to return it. I sure was glad when I replaced it at 9K with another one.
Number three has 17K smooth running miles.
I may get a 709 to try on my second wheel :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
From another site....

What I like about the Michelin Pilot Activ on the Trike is:

(1) The Rubber is a Sport Bike Compound (Hard end of this Bike segment), making it quick to heat, and quick to stick, especially given the Trike's weight

(2) It has a more rounded, wider profile than the stock Motorcycle Front Tires, and actually does have a wider contact patch when in the turned position

(3) Being a Rear Tire it has more useable external rubber, before having to be replaced

(4) It has a stiffer sidewall than Front Motorcycle Tires, which, due to Trikes being steered instead of countersteered cuts down on unwanted Tire deflections in Frontend turned modes...a Good Thing for Trikes.

I went to the Pilot Activ Tire initially for the same reason Most Members did..."MILEAGE", but since then have come to appreciate the Enhanced Ride, Steering Response, and Road Feel even more so than the Extended Mileage that I definetly gained*****

Tires Directional Arrows Explained By Avon Tyres
Published by Cyril Huze August 23rd, 2009 in Builders, Editorial and Wheels.
Before we can talk about directional arrows you must first understand a bit about tread patterns.
There are many different tread patterns but there is one main reason to have any tread and that
is to disperse water. (dust, dirt)
A tread pattern can be designed to disperse more water by making it rotate in only one direction.
Thus, the need for directional arrows. The arrow tells you which way to mount a tire for maximum
water dispersal. Another, less apparent reason for directional arrows is the tread splice.
What is a tread splice? When a tire is manufactured the tread portion of the tire starts out as
a long flat strip. This strip is wrapped around the tire and the two ends are cut on an angle
so one end overlaps the other rather than having square cut ends.
This overlapping point or splice offers a bigger surface area to bond together, rather than the
small surface area provided by square cut ends. (Imagine gluing your fingertips together, as
opposed to gluing along the entire length of your fingers laid on top of each other. Like an
angled splice, the overlapping fingers result in a much stronger bond).
To further ensure the strength of this bond along the tread splice the directional arrow will show
you which way to mount the tire so that when the rider is “on the gas”; the acceleration force on
the rear tire is pressing the splice together, rather than peeling it back.
As for braking, 80 % of the braking should take place in the front on most bikes. Therefore, the
front tread splice is run in the opposite direction than that of the rear, so when the rider is on
the brakes, he’s not peeling the tread splice back.
If you are using a tire that has a directional arrow for rear rotation only and for some reason you
want to put it on the front, make sure it is rotating in the opposite direction so you don’t
aggravate the tread splice.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Dog, it dont matter running it forward or backward. If you look at any of the forums theres been no issues with running it either way. Im on my 2nd BT45 and Im running it forward like the last one with no issues.
Thanks for the info but, since the OP isn't talking about a trike, I'll see if he answers me.
FYI, there are good, valid reasons to run a rear tire in reverse rotation when mounted on the front of a trike.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Thanks for the info but, since the OP isn't talking about a trike, I'll see if he answers me.
FYI, there are good, valid reasons to run a rear tire in reverse rotation when mounted on the front of a trike.
Well Tom Ill give it back to you. You're running a trike also. I know theres valid reasons to run it that way, I also know theres a lot of people with a lot of miles with no issues running it the other way like me. Considering hes switched over to a bias ply from a radial its a whole different ball game. When I had my LC with the Falken on the rear I ran a Pirelli on the front because I got tired of the Bridgestone dual compound ride issues famous on the stock tire. I know wheres he going with this and I hope he finds his happy medium hes looking for.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Well Tom Ill give it back to you. You're running a trike also. I know theres valid reasons to run it that way, I also know theres a lot of people with a lot of miles with no issues running it the other way like me. Considering hes switched over to a bias ply from a radial its a whole different ball game. When I had my LC with the Falken on the rear I ran a Pirelli on the front because I got tired of the Bridgestone dual compound ride issues famous on the stock tire. I know wheres he going with this and I hope he finds his happy medium hes looking for.
Good for you. Nice we can each give our opinions without sliding into personal attacks.
Let's ride!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've got 23K on mine so far and no problems. I would be happy to put another BT45 on the bike.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Tried them all and undoubtedly the absolute best "all-around" tire is the Stone 709. :thumbup:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tried them all and undoubtedly the absolute best "all-around" tire is the Stone 709. :thumbup:

That's what I was looking for. Thank You Sir. That is the information I needed and needed to hear it from a known aggressive rider.

Thanks again

See you out there
Smokey

1 - 20 of 29 Posts