GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually all I need is information on the indicator marking for the G850 tire. I am due to get my new tires this afternoon and wonder what Bridgestone uses to mark the light (or heavy) spot on their tires. I know the Dunlop and Metzlers marks but haven't used Stones since my 1500.
Hope these do better mile wise then the rear Metzs did. Front is still great after 7K miles but rears shot right to the steel belts, 3 months on this set even with pressure at rating on the tire side. Also noticed the infamous wobble appeared after switching to Metz. Don't tow a trailer and other then the times at the track where I teach, nothing abnormal in use of the bike. Two up on ocassion but mostly single riding. Maybe have a problem of right twistitus?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Hate to tell ya, but the Stones wear quicker than any of the GL1800 tires.. On the plus side, they are rumored to be the best handeling..
Jeez, 7k on Metz?? I'm pretty rough on tires yet I still get 12-14k on a Metzler rear (with some tread to spare) I've noticed that some states have really rough road surfaces (NY) which could certainly contribute to it..
Must be that AZ heat...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Original Stones

on my 02 got me 17K before i bought new metzlers. they immediately had the wobble. i just put on a set of dunlops and they have no wobble at all. beats the heck out of me why as i have done NOTHING to the bike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
tires

jshotwell,

We must be the only two wingers to have this same experience with the Metzler tires.

I couldn't get Bridgestones and I put on the Metzlers.

After 700 miles, the bike shook itself off the road.

I replaced the Metzlers with E3's and no more wobble.

No tapered bearings, no steering head tightening, just no Metzlers.

And people are still buying Metzlers.

You and I know what caused our wobble problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Clancy, this is not first hand information however a prior posting stated

Avon - They don't use a spot because there is no industry standard for this type of marking. Also, the valve stem area may not always be the heaviest spot on a wheel assembly.
Bridgestone - Yellow ring to identify the light spot.
Continental – Does not use any spots.
Dunlop – Yellow circle to indicate the light splot.
Metzeler – Red dot to identify the light spot.
Michelin – No markings.
Pirelli – Red dot to identify the light spot or no marking.
Shinko – Bright yellow painted ring to identify the light spot. Stay away from silver stamps, these are quality control marks.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
PunkinWing said:
Hate to tell ya, but the Stones wear quicker than any of the GL1800 tires..
Well, I don't know that I would necessary agree with that statement. I've had many many sets of tires on my 1800 and 4 different brands and the Stones have consistently beaten the others by wide margin without exception. Even the rear G704, which I admit I have always wished got more mileage like it's G709 better brother has given me more miles than I got out of the other brands (and that is with monitoring the air pressure prior to each ride).

Here is a photo of a G709 Stone I took last Saturday with "over" 20,000 miles on it and we aren't even down to the wear bars yet. That ain't bad in my mind. And the G709 that was mounted before this one got over 25,000 miles.

Tire experience certainly varies by the individual user, but the Stone’s more than measure up with the existing competition in terms of wear, and if we are talking about handling on technical roads, in wet weather, the quality of ride they provide mile after mile, etc. then the margin IMO gets even better.

DaleC

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Don Swanburg said:
I'd sure like to see a picture of the rear mate for this tire.
Don - this wasn't my own tire, but a close friend and riding buddy of mine. Needless to say, the rear tire didn't have the same mileage. Since both of us change our own tires, it's easy to slip a new tire on when the need (due to wear or for a long trip) arises. We don't usually change both tires at the same time since the front tire provides much greater mileage.

DaleC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank everyone for the information. The tires did arrive yesterday afternoon and I mounted the rear tire. Made a short test hop but will be making a run today to "seat in" the tires....... well.. any excuse for a ride works ..right? even though the high will be 50. Tire only needed 1/3 of an ounce to get it dead on balanced. Will be keeping the Metz on the front for this run to see how everything feels. The front Metz looks like almost no wear but if the wobble is still there then I will change out the front and see if that makes a difference. Haven't stowed away the tire changer just in case. FWIW the Metz rear tire went from ok to C**p in less then 800 miles.

·
Registered
270 Posts
clancy said:
Thank everyone for the information. The tires did arrive yesterday afternoon and I mounted the rear tire. Made a short test hop but will be making a run today to "seat in" the tires....... well.. any excuse for a ride works ..right? even though the high will be 50. Tire only needed 1/3 of an ounce to get it dead on balanced. Will be keeping the Metz on the front for this run to see how everything feels. The front Metz looks like almost no wear but if the wobble is still there then I will change out the front and see if that makes a difference. Haven't stowed away the tire changer just in case. FWIW the Metz rear tire went from ok to C**p in less then 800 miles.

Clancy,

Best of luck.

Jeff at Metzler tire told me that most of the wobble problems, in the Metzler tires, are caused by the back tire.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Re: Original Stones

jshotwell said:
on my 02 got me 17K before i bought new metzlers. they immediately had the wobble. i just put on a set of dunlops and they have no wobble at all. beats the heck out of me why as i have done NOTHING to the bike.
I got 4K on a front E3. Wore it down to the ware bars. :shock:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
ytownmac said:
Jeff at Metzler tire told me that most of the wobble problems, in the Metzler tires, are caused by the back tire.
The rear Metzler was the source of my one time visit with the wobble too. I had to do quite a bit of investigation and elimination (with no success) before I tried switching out the rear Metzler and replacing it with a new Stone. After that my Wing rode like it was on glass and wobbled no more.

DaleC

P.S. No more than 10,000 miles with the Dunlop D250's and the E-3. Come to think of it the Metzler came off with less than 10,000 miles too although still a lot of tread. I just couldn't stand the wobble that I had never experienced before.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Re: Original Stones

nedro said:
I got 4K on a front E3. Wore it down to the ware bars. :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: Track day??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Couldn't wait for those E3s to wear out, took them off at 15k and they still had some life left in them..

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Actually all I need is information on the indicator marking for the G850 tire. I am due to get my new tires this afternoon and wonder what Bridgestone uses to mark the light (or heavy) spot on their tires. I know the Dunlop and Metzlers marks but haven't used Stones since my 1500.
The G850s have a yellow dot, a blue mark, and a big red paint slash on the tread. You will really have to work at it to miss them.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Townmac,
Not so rare, Metz in the front, wobble like crazy...replace it with 709, wobble gone

·
Registered
428 Posts
Tires

15K on original tires on my 2005......NO WOBBLE!!! Changed to Metz, 6K on them and......NO Wobble. Changed to Metz because I had heard that they were "stickie." Hav not found that to be the case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.