GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here yee, Here yee.

Let it be known that our very own "Toyo", Steve Landy, is now a Iron Butt Rider. A qualifier is necessary here because he hasn't sent off the required paperwork and proof, but I feel sure that it will be approved.

Last Friday, he and I decided we would ride from Gainesville, where he lives, to New Orleans for lunch then turn around and ride back giving him about 1,050 miles for the day and qualifing him for the Saddlesore 1000 IBA ride certificate.

As we neared Montgomery, Alabama, his GPS showed rain ahead so we decided to head North toward better weather. After all, mileage was the goal, not necessarily New Orleans.

We ended up going North to Birmingham, Al., then to Nashville, Tn., then to Knoxville, Tn., then to Ashville, NC., then to Atlanta then back to Gainesville. Over a 1,000 miles and 5 states.

Beautiful blue skies the whole trip. A great day on the yellow wings.

Kudos to Steve, because, since we had planned to go South, he wasn't quite prepared for the 40 degree temps we incurred for most of the trip. We used his GPS to find a couple of Wal-Marts along the way so he could buy another layer, but he never complained.

His '05 1800 has about 60k miles on it so he was already a serious rider. Now, after he's certified, he can say he is "One of the world's toughest motorcycle riders", the IBA description of its members.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Paul had great patience with me during my stops for warmer clothing. I hate not being prepared. It does not happen very often. I think the lowest it got down too was 37 coming out of Ashville. I 40 around Asheville is just breath taking. A couple of tunnels thru mountains, a bunch of prairies, mountains, it was awesome.

Thanks again Paul for doing this with me. It is my honor and privalage to be a part of your riding days.

Bill, Paul did get in one little jab about my helmet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My question would be who was servicing those fleeet vehicles while you were out parding around....LOL
Congradulations on your accomplishment Steve, Now you are a "Hard A$$", I mean Iron Butt!

Paul you are one He11 of a guy to go and help Steve attain this Milestone!

Your Friend in Houston!

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Butch,
Steve didn't need me at all. He just let me tag along.

I hadn't done a long day since Catscade, so I was itching to roll up some miles and wear some of the rubber off the middle of my new Metzs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I only wish that the Sunday morning of Wingstock that the weather would not have postponed my departure for several hours or else I could have done the extra 145 miles on my ride home and had the accomplishment of an Iron Butt myself.

Qh well next year I will leave home a little earlier and add those extra few miles to my ride up.

Yes Toyo is a very competent rider and could have done it alone but I am sure that the great company he had on the ride made it that much more enjoyable of an accomplishment!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Your IronHeads......I mean IronButts ain't right.
I don't have the butt for that myself. More power to ya.......congrats Toyo!

How about a "CottonButt" ride!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Congratulations are in order. That is one way to get a lot of fresh air.

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club!!!!

I have to try a 50CC

Be safe

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Congrats on the ride and welcome to the dark side!!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
motorcyclemom40 said:
Congradulations on the ride Steve, have the little voices started telling you what ride is next :lol:
Sheila,
Paul and I have been talking about a SS2K to the Hard 8 in TX for some bar-b-que...
You could ride down for that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts