GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to go after my Quantum GL trailer Tuesday and will hauling it in the back of a pickup bed for 300 miles. Can anybody tell me the best way to tie it down so the paint won't get scratched. (Yeah, I know the best way is to pull it with my bike, but it is presently in a state of disassembly.) Trailer does not have a spoiler, pickup bed is 78 inches long, 48 inches wide between the fendewells. Tiedown points are near the floor in the front of the bed but about half-way up in the rear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I would tie the front down using the chrome skid attached to the tongue. Pad the tongue to eliminate scuffing on the floor. Strap the rear using the tires and rims. There is very little weight so one strap in each corner should be fine. Your only problem will be the tie downs in most trucks are not floor level.If it moves a little no big deal as long as it doesn't contact the sides. Good luck,you bought a great trailer.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,794 Posts
When Bushtec delivered mine, they put shipping wrap around the tongue and let the tongue sit on top of the tailgate that had some padding, and then with a tie down around the tongue and down to the tie down points in the back of the truck bed.....then they used tie downs and attached them to the underside of the trailer around the A arms and then to the tie down points at the front and back of the truck bed so the trailer couldn't roll forward or backward.

You most likely know this, but don't put a cover on the trailer while it's in the back of the pickup.....you would be surprised how many times I have seen someone cover their motorcycle while it's in the back of a pickup truck and the cover is flapping hard in the wind scuffing and removing paint the whole time.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hook it up to your pickup and pull it home.
Interesting thought, but don't have a pin hitch on pick-up receiver hitch. And with no electrical hookup and as hungry as those small town Okie police are, that might just be asking for a ticket.

I appreciate the responses. I'll probably tie it down in the bed. As I've never laid eyes on a Bushtec trailer except in pics, your suggestions will give me an idea of how many tie-downs to take with me and how to secure it when I get there.

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
958 Posts
Put mine in the pickup bed with the the trailer box roughly centered in the bed and the tongue facing backwards resting on the open tailgate. Then ran a ratchet strap through both wheels to the front corner tie-down hooks in the pickup bed, then another ratchet strap to the rear corner tie-down hooks. That way it couldn't shift forward or back.

Be careful not to use too much tension on the ratchet straps, simply snug them up so you don't put too much pressure on the trailer rims.

Good luck, you are buying a very nice trailer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts