GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning

I have a question for you guys. I have a 1984 Travelite Soft Top Camper. I have a 5000 BTU air conditioner that I fixed where I can set it up in the doorway and then remove it when I'm through using the air conditioner.

My question is whether you think the tongue 2" x 2" square tubing would carry the weight of the air conditioner (35 lb). There is a spare tire mounted on the tongue and the air conditioner fits perfectly on top of the spare with it up against the camper. I could then strap the air conditoner down to keep it from moving. I don't have room inside the camper to haul it.

Do you think I would need to brace the tongue for the extra weight.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
First thing I would do is get the actual weight of the air conditioner. Then I would call the trailer manufacturer and see if the tongue can support that weight.

My next concern would be to learn from the hitch manufacturer the total recommended weight the hitch can handle safely!

If either hitch weight or tongue weight is exceeded, I would go look for another place to store, carry the air conditioner. Iw would suspect the trailer would tow better with the airconditioner stored in the trailer cargo area probably with the weight above the wheels.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I don't think I would recommend it. Doesn't sound like a good idea. If you do, just be sure to balance the weight correctly, i.e. offset the extra weight up front by putting something behind the wheels as a counter balance. The main thing here is to probably not have more than 35 pounds on the hitch. I use a fish scale I bought at Academy to weigh my tongue weight.

Something I found out is that if you don't have the load just right in the trailer, it will tend to fish tail on you and could result in an accident.

Good Luck

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't, as long as it's secure. Some of us have coolers on the front and loaded they might weight about the same as a small A/C. I would make sure it was really secure though. Just remember adjust your load so you have 10-15% of the weight on the hitch.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't, as long as it's secure. Some of us have coolers on the front and loaded they might weight about the same as a small A/C. I would make sure it was really secure though. Just remember adjust your load so you have 10-15% of the weight on the hitch.
:agree:

·
Registered
931 Posts
AC

As I see you ride Motor Trike, there shouldn't be a problem with extra tougue weight on the ball hitch. ou can also help balance the tougue weight by shifting a few of your heavier objects toward the rear of your trailer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts