GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just boutght a 7 by 12 Haulmark trailer to tow two bikes and while space is adequate the room is tight to haul a goldwing and a vtx1800.

Can anyone recoment the best way of setting the bikes in tha trailer?
From reading other reviews it seems to me that is better to place the goldwing first and the vtx to its right and slightly behind.

Also any suggestions on how to make the loading and unloading a one man operation.

Thanks
Alvin

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
clouddancer said:
I just boutght a 7 by 12 Haulmark trailer to tow two bikes and while space is adequate the room is tight to haul a goldwing and a vtx1800.

Can anyone recoment the best way of setting the bikes in tha trailer?
From reading other reviews it seems to me that is better to place the goldwing first and the vtx to its right and slightly behind.

Also any suggestions on how to make the loading and unloading a one man operation.

Thanks
Alvin
cloud,

I have a 7 x 16 Haulmark Kodiac so I have some experience. I'd guess you'll have to stagger them when loading. They would probably be too wide if the handlebars are lined up. I'd go for the most stagger, i.e., one bike with the wheel chock all the way forward, the other where the rear wheel is at the trailer's door. The one on the left will have to be right against the wall so I'd get a ride in chock. I've never used one but they are supposed to make loading a one man operation. http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/stand.htm

Concerning which should go in first, personally I'd put the bike that's hardest to get in first. That's probably the GL since it weighs more and is bigger overall. Regardless, I would consider where and how much weight I will be hauling, under average/typical loading conditions, "eyeball" that center of gravity in relation to the axles to get a feel for the toungue weight. I'd try to keep that within the tow vehicle's hitch spec. Sounds complicated, but just "eyeballing" mine worked out very well. Hope your's goes as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts