528 Posts
not yet..to mine anyway.

Running DDM 35 watt Lows & 55 watt highs

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
just wondering
Like this....?

This damage was one reason I wanted to go ahead with retrofitting my low beams with HID projectors. It would have cost me much more to replace the headlamps then to retrofit them. Bottom line is, some show damage and some don't. No one knows for sure. But I do know that this type of damage is not restricted to motorcycles. It has been noted in vehicles with HID kits installed as well. Some do, some don't. My suspicion is this. Very cheap HID kits come with really cheap HID lamps, one place to cut cost on lamp production is to eliminate the UV coating on the outer glass tube of the lamp. I believe the intense concentration of UV against the reflector may give some reflector chrome coatings a very shortened life. There is also the possibility that the heat generated right at the base is causing some chrome to bubble and peal or flake away. In my experiments with several HID kits in the GL1800 reflector has shown that the cheap lamps are not aligned properly, lack UV coating and the advertised color rating is highly suspect.

Here is a good source for information on HID kits.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?18954-The-Reality-of-HID-Kits-Truths-and-Myths

For a typical projector retrofit...

https://sites.google.com/site/larrysgl1800hidproject/gl1800-bi-xenon-projector-hid-retrofit

Another example of a sweet HID projector retrofit....
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/content.php?110-MAY-Retrofit-of-the-Month-Submissions!

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Mine are fine. Using the DDM Tuning 35W, 5000K in my low beams. Been using them for about 6 months now. No issues.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
It's not the HIDs

Sorry Larry, I feel a need to input my 0.02 worth on this one.

Love your pictures, and you've had a lot of good advice on this board, some of which I've even saved in my Wing file. :bow:

But on this one I think you're off the mark. Before I put in my HIDs I saw your (I think it was yours) posting on the chrome failing on the light reflectors.

Had me concerned. Then I went and looked at mine (an 02), and I've got some discolored/blistering chrome. Used standard lights at the time. Went and looked at other bikes, some had it, some didn't. All with standard bulbs.

Talked with one of our customers whose company makes head and tailight assemblies for most of the car market, and also the standard headlight bulbs. His comment was some do, some don't (blister or discolor). Heat is one of the big bugaboos for the lights. The 35 watt HIDs run cooler than the stock 55 watt. I've noticed no increase in chrome issue on the reflector since switching.

I remember when autos first went with composite lenses vs. the stock glass all-in-one light, there was a big problem with the mechanics laying their fender protectors over the fender and the headlight. And sometimes the work would require the engine to run and the headlights would be on. They would work on the car, and when they finished and pulled the cover off the headlight was discolored, crazed and sometimes even cracked.

So not to flame anyone, I just happen to disagree with the blanket statement of HIDs will increase the chrome damage to your reflectors.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Sorry Larry, I feel a need to input my 0.02 worth on this one.

Love your pictures, and you've had a lot of good advice on this board, some of which I've even saved in my Wing file. :bow:

But on this one I think you're off the mark. Before I put in my HIDs I saw your (I think it was yours) posting on the chrome failing on the light reflectors.

Had me concerned. Then I went and looked at mine (an 02), and I've got some discolored/blistering chrome. Used standard lights at the time. Went and looked at other bikes, some had it, some didn't. All with standard bulbs.

Talked with one of our customers whose company makes head and tailight assemblies for most of the car market, and also the standard headlight bulbs. His comment was some do, some don't (blister or discolor). Heat is one of the big bugaboos for the lights. The 35 watt HIDs run cooler than the stock 55 watt. I've noticed no increase in chrome issue on the reflector since switching.

I remember when autos first went with composite lenses vs. the stock glass all-in-one light, there was a big problem with the mechanics laying their fender protectors over the fender and the headlight. And sometimes the work would require the engine to run and the headlights would be on. They would work on the car, and when they finished and pulled the cover off the headlight was discolored, crazed and sometimes even cracked.

So not to flame anyone, I just happen to disagree with the blanket statement of HIDs will increase the chrome damage to your reflectors.
I made a blanket statement that HID's will increase/cause damage to the chrome??? Really??? ... I guess if you think :::::" Bottom line is, some show damage and some don't. No one knows for sure. But I do know that this type of damage is not restricted to motorcycles. It has been noted in vehicles with HID kits installed as well. Some do, some don't.::::" is a blanket statement... then it must be.... :roll::roll::roll:

As you noted, some reflectors also show damage from halogen lamps both OEM size 55watt lamps and also by higher output halogen's. There are a number of events that will cause damage to a reflector. Heat, excessive UV exposure, water etc.. Bottom line.... nobody knows for sure... some do, some don't.... is there an echo in here???? Nah, must be another blanket statement... dang things sneak in all the time.... ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine have started to look like Larrys. I installed the DDM 35 watt kit about 11 months ago (about 12k ago) I went back to stock last week. I miss the white light of HID

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
no flame meant Larry

I made a blanket statement that HID's will increase/cause damage to the chrome??? :roll::roll::roll:;)
Hey Larry, no offense meant. As I stated earlier, you've put a lot of good info out on this board. Poor wording on my part regarding "blanket statement". That comment was in regards to previous posts in the past regarding HIDs causing chrome damage, and this post just got included in my statement.

Life's good, and I do agree with you when you say a reflector mod is a better way to go.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Mine are almost two years old and no signs of damage.I'll be doing a Projector install in a few months just because I can.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Another point to ponder:
Depending on the brand of headlamp bulb, both incandescent and HID, the smoked/burned reflector can actually be the result of what is called outgassing from use of improper materials for the bulb socket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts