GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t done any of them, including the DCT update. My reasoning is, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and since I’m happy and satisfied with the way everything is working.....why mess with it? Not only that but I read where some of you had problems doing the update and that was another reason I stayed away from it. Am I really missing something? Those of you who’ve done the updates, is it worth it?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have done them. Certainly didn't help me any. Perhaps others it did however. 99 % of the time I know where I'm going anyway so . . . .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I understand the "if it aint broke don't fix it" but how do you know it wasnt broke when you got it?

·
Love The DCT
11,454 Posts
I haven’t done any of them, including the DCT update. My reasoning is, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and since I’m happy and satisfied with the way everything is working.....why mess with it? Not only that but I read where some of you had problems doing the update and that was another reason I stayed away from it. Am I really missing something? Those of you who’ve done the updates, is it worth it?
What DCT "update" are you referring to?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The first one was definitely worth doing for the extra waypoints. The original 8 waypoints wouldn't get you out of the driveway. The next one or two or however many there were I didn't notice much difference. Still needs a way to clear multiple waypoints quickly.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If I were you, I'd wait for the next big update (supposedly next month) and do that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've installed every update released. I've been called an early adopter by folks that know me :) It's really not that difficult to install the code update though it is a bit of a pain to have to go through all of your settings and reset everything the way you want it. But, so far all the updates have improved the bike's performance in many areas as Fred points out. Any issues I have experienced have been of my own making and have also been not that difficult to correct. But, it's also true that the updates are cumulative as remoandiris indicates. I would still vote for installing an update even if it's just the "to be released" version.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I haven’t done any of them on my 2018 either. But will most likely do the one in June

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was referring to the DCT initialization procedure. As for the nav and radio updates, I don’t trip plan at all with the nav, usually all I use it for is to find a destination. I do use Apple car play, but haven’t really had problems with that either once I learned how to use it. What improvements do the updates offer?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also forgot to mention, my computer skills are pretty limited and some of the stories I read about problems during the download kind of scared me away.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was referring to the DCT initialization procedure.
That isn't an "update". If your bike is shifting fine, then no, you aren't missing anything by NOT doing an initialization.

As far as what got fixed, here is what the Feb 2020 update did;

GOLD WING NAVIGATION / SOFTWARE FEBRUARY 2020 UPDATE
Make sure you’re on course for the best rides everywhere, by keeping your Gold Wing updated with the most recent software. This latest version, designed for 2018 and newer Gold Wing models, includes the following improvements:

• The most up-to-date map information, for more accurate navigation
  • Updated Honda Dealership information and locations
  • For SiriusXM subscribers, more intuitive Traffic Flow and Traffic Reroute settings
  • Fix for bug in waypoint entry

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
There are improvements besides just updating the maps... for example its easier to find a address with the house number now than how it was in 2018.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have done the updates myself and now waiting for the June update to be released.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Did the initialization shortly after getting bike. Seemed a little better. Did next time after oil change and didn't notice much if anything. Will do again after next oil change and so forth. If you haven't done it I would. You may be happy now but possibly happier once you do it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
When I bought my 2020 and first ride it the shifting was smooth and fairly quiet up and down with DCT. After I put on 2k miles I noticed I slight increase in shifting noise and smoothness. I did the initialization and Walla it was back to smooth and quiet again. I will do it after I do my oil change and run it a few miles. It was very easy to do if you follow Fred’s directions to a T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did the first up date but not sure why since I don't use any of the features that it addressed but won't do anymore for that same reason.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've done all the nav updates so far but they haven't really added any value for me yet.

YET. The update next month looks to change that completely!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I probably will do the DCT initialization eventually. I doubt I’ll do the other updates though. I’m just not that comfortable with a computer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just purchased a 2018 DCT, I put about 250 miles on it and did the DCT Init, It really did make a difference, smoother and quieter up and down shifts.

For the Software updates, they really are as simple and straight forward as the instructions listed on the board and the Honda website. The only downside, you will have to go back in the menus and select your preferences again but that's super quick and easy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts