GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a HJC CL-15 full face helmet for the winter riding. I usually wear a 3/4 CL-31, more comfortable for me but I was a little chilly last year even wearing one of those baraclava things or whatever it's called. I have a VERY large head :D , their is a slight pressure point on my forehead. Years ago a person from Arai had told me that you can take a baseball and roll it around inside the helmet with a downward pressure to compress the foam some in the area where the pressure point is. Has anyone ever done this and did it work? Thanks, Brian

G

·
I had a similiar problem with an HJC full face. There was a spot right in the center of my forehead that pressed real bad. What I did was take a small round hammer and compressed the liner just enough to remove the pressure point. Didn't have to compress too much. It worked for my problem.

Tom

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have used a table spoon to push in pressure points in my helmet.

·
Registered
296 Posts
On my KBC TourComm, I actually peeled back the inner lining, and then carefully used a Dremel with a round burr, to get rid of the high (hot) spots. Worked quite well.

Now I'm dealing with sort of the same thing in my new HJC CJ-Max, which has proven to have snug ear cutouts, and I'm fitting a set of EdSet speakers. Have to ease the foam around the ears in order to comfortably wear the helmet with the speakers installed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
helmet

Funny you ask, i have the same problem and i have the same helmet. mine is a xxxl and i have another xxxxl hjc, those are the only helmets i
buy. When i bought to xxxl cl, i had a forehead pressure point that after
a little riding i would want to throw it in the street. When i got it, it was summer and i didnt have any choice but to wear it or not to ride. well after about a week and about 15-20 hours it broke in and now ts the best fit a ever had in a helmet. If you can ride till its broke in. The guys at the helmet house said to buy the tightest helmet you can stand and let it break in. if its too loose it doesnt help as much in an accident 8)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the ideas and quick responses. Kevbru, I thought I was the only one out there w/such a large head... :lol: :lol: :lol: My brother always jokes w/me about having to buy such large helmets. I was wearing it around the house tonight and after fifteen minutes I needed to take it off because I was getting a headache from the pressure point. However, literally, nothing else fits me well enough as does the HJC helmets. I agree about the helmet not being snug enough, that's not good in a accident. I really think i'm going to like the CL-15 alot though, it's a really nice helmet and a very good value in my opinion for $115.00. I guess I just have to break it in and if that doesn't work, i'll use one of the methods described in the above posts. Brian

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spitzer,

What did you do, just take the hammer and wack it a few times in that spot? Brian

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello I use a ballpeen hammer & kinda just push/roll around a little bit at a time !! After you wear it fir a while you can sorta guess at the sore spot size!!....chuck..PS you are only talking 1/16-1/8 inch MAX at first

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an egg shaped (XL) head. Every helmet that I have ( Arai, HJC, Shoei ) has the pressure points on the forehead. While I've never used a baseball, a ball pein hammer works great. You know it's the one with the small round ball instead of the claws. It allows me to compress the small area at the front of the helmet that is the hot spot for me.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
winginit01 said:
I just bought a HJC CL-15 full face helmet for the winter riding. I usually wear a 3/4 CL-31, more comfortable for me but I was a little chilly last year even wearing one of those baraclava things or whatever it's called. I have a VERY large head :D , their is a slight pressure point on my forehead. Years ago a person from Arai had told me that you can take a baseball and roll it around inside the helmet with a downward pressure to compress the foam some in the area where the pressure point is. Has anyone ever done this and did it work? Thanks, Brian
I have the same HJC CL-15 fullface too. I bought it and web bike world rated it a best value for comfort and fit rivaling the high end Shoei and Arai helmets. I have the same pressure point at the forehead as you otherwise fits great. It must be a common problem area considering your other replies. Good to see the suggested solutions, I'll probably try one of these myself. T. 8)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I tried it with my first helmet. I pressed on it, beat on it and finally cut on it. Then ai read an article about differently shaped heads. There are those of us with Shoei (round) and Arai (enlongated) heads. I have since worn an Arai helmet.
Ron, I am curious. What series of Arai helmet did you have? I don't know about their 3/4s but in the full faced there are three series: The Profile (used to be Signet) series for elongated heads like mine, the Quantum for round shaped heads and the Astral which is half way between the two others.
Most helmet shops stock the Astrals or Quantums. And many buyers think that just because it is an Arai it'll fit.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am Not deformed ... 8)
I just complained about this pressure point on the front of my forehead, to my Wife, who quickly replied "Shut up whining ya big baby" .. or something like that..
I thought my skull may be deformed or pointed..
My noggin cover is a HJC full/flip face .. not overly impressed with it..

After reading this post, this looks like a problem a lot of people have, if it is and is in the same spot the majority of the time, the helmet makers should consider changing their molds ...
Do all or most brands do this, or is it just the lower priceds helms ??

Ride Safely .... 8)

G

·
I just took the rounded end of the hammer and pressed the area. Just worked it around the area. I didn't beat it with the hammer just worked around. I think the one suggestion with a spoon is a good one and you will work the hammer the same way.

Tom

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I had the exact same problem in my Symax XL,and like others used the round end of a basll peen hammer,and compressed the foam in area that caused the pressure.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yellow Streak,

:lol: :lol: :lol: Your head is probably not deformed, obviously it's a somewhat common problem here. It's not just the lower priced helmets for me. I purchased a Arai helmet years ago that was almost two to three times the cost of this HJC and it had the same pressure point on the forehead... Brian

·
Registered
230 Posts
I tried to smash the foam in mine but eventually it came back to form. I eventually took a pearing knife and trimmed the foam back. I did eventually purchase an HJC 31 and never had the problem anymore.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I wouldn't go deforming the foam, it's the protection part of the helmet and personally wouldn't chance it.. (JMHO)

There are different head "profiles" in the Arai line.. The problem is that your head is like mine and a little egg shaped.. The Arai Signet is the one Arai designed for that.. I had the same issues with every helet I had until I got the Arai.. All day comfort is a wonderful thing once you've experianced it..

I now also have a Shoei X11 which is a simlar fit and is even more comfortable.. Yes, they are BOTH expensive helmets, but can you put a price on your pain??

If you take an XL, let me know next time you see me and I'll let you try mine on!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
tommyboyTX said:
You can hammer down those high spots on your head too.

Bluto would do it to Popeye all the time... 8) 8) 8)
Straight to the heart (or is that head) of the problem Tommy!
Not to start any rumors, but I think I heard that the engineers at HJC are "Cro-Magnon" and their helmet designs fit their sloped heads very well, thank you.
I bought one and I couldn't see out of it until I cut this big hole in the front....Whatta yuh mean..."backwards!" There ain't no label says front on the durn thang. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts