GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding your bike???

We've made a "couple" of trips across I-70 and on some of those long hauls I've caught myself "dozing".

It startled me so much that I realized that my eyes had actually closed !

I used to be a pepsihaulic, since I don't drink coffee and that was the only way I could get my caffeine. But I gave that up so now I'm caffeine free.

Any suggestions as to how to stay alert on those long flat straight roads with no scenery?

I know you should get off the bike when you start to recognize you're getting sleepy but sometimes that is not a safe option depending on road conditions.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else has had the same issue, especially those who do the iron butt rides or any other long distance rides.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Normally my adrenalin keeps me wide awake. My suggestion -Get more sleep or the next time you doze off may be your last!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not what you wanted to hear but on the way home from RG I would stop at a minimart and get one of those monster energy drinks,was good for a couple hrs

·
Registered
4,262 Posts

We've made a "couple" of trips across I-70 and on some of those long hauls I've caught myself "dozing".

I used to be a pepsihaulic, since I don't drink coffee and that was the only way I could get my caffeine. But I gave that up so now I'm caffeine free.

Any suggestions as to how to stay alert on those long flat straight roads with no scenery?

I know you should get off the bike when you start to recognize you're getting sleepy but sometimes that is not a safe option depending on road conditions.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else has had the same issue, especially those who do the iron butt rides or any other long distance rides.
I do a couple of things.

First, every time I gas up I take off my helmet and walk around for a few minutes.

Second, I move aorund on the seat.

Third, keep a few of the sour lemon candies in an easy to access pocket and suck on one of those every few minutes.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Keep yourself "busy" while driving, checking your mirrors, gauges, countryside, traffic coming and going...in other words don't just stare down that long straight piece of road in front of ya. Even flat farm country is interesting if you really look.

·
Registered
357 Posts

TRY THE 5 HOUR ENERGY SHOTS... THEY WORK PRETTY GOOD AND THERE IS NO SUGAR "CRASH" AFTERWARDS... I even think they make some "No caffeine" versions...

Worth a try.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
YUP! I've done it. Scared the hell out of me when I hit the rumble strips.

Energy drink or pills. Those work pretty well. As already stated, don't just stare down the road. keep your head moving and looking. don't just focus on something (like the road ahead). You tend to start day dreaming, which then turns into sleeping. I used to travel in cages a lot and I had to find all kinds of ways to stay awake.

Oh, another thing. drink a lot of water. It's tough to fall asleep when you gotta take a leak.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You can tell when your situational awareness is diminishing. When it does, GET OFF THE BIKE and take some remedial action (e.g., coffee, nap, exercise, etc.)! If you're not able to maintain a high level of alertness, don't get on the bike until you can. Get professional help in diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I ran 1200 miles in 24 hours and began to dream I was passing semi's and actually was. I was doing OK accept my eyes kept closing. Fought it as much as I could. Stopped the bike and walked around for a while. That would give me another hour of riding. Finally looked for a cheap motel. Scanning for deer in the ditches, forget it. This is not a good way to try to get endurance bragging rights. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I just start speeding up gradually until finally I'm going so fast that I have to pay extrememly close attention...................that always gets rid of my droopy eyes<G>! Of course you do know that I'm kidding right? Not.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Most people that have it don't think they've got it. That's the problem.

Just talking from experiance.
While sleep apnea could be a reason why you're falling asleep, there's nothing in his post that would lead me to that conclusion. I think that getting off the bike, putting on different music, trying to stop the 'blank stare' down the endless road, and energy drinks, caffiene, exercise, etc would all help.

Even if you are suffering from sleep apnea, all of those would be worthwhile things to do to increase your alertness.

To get properly diagnosed for sleep apnea you have to go through a sleep study where you get hooked up to machines while you sleep. You can take questionaires that may let you know if you have symptoms so you can decide if you want to pursue further. I've had it done, and it was expensive(ymmv). IF they determine that you have a severe enough case, you may be sold/given a CPAP machine to use to keep the air-flow while you sleep, or surgery could be a better solution. This is where your doctor can advise what is best for you.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
If your driving through Nevada stop at some bordello's that always wakes me up. I let my wife go wash the bike and then pick me up about an hour later.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stoping and taking a break is by far the best answer, but if for whatever reason you can't do that there are other things you might try. We keep hard candy, normally sour or tart flavors, where my Co-Rider can easily reach it. The stronger the flavor the better the result. The sugar works as a pick up and the flavor seems to keep the brain awake. Works for me.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts