GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a bike that they didn't feel confident riding on or just had problems riding well. The reason I ask is that I own a cbr1100xx it's a fine bike but I have not felt really confident on it since I bought it. It is a really heavy bike about 600 pounds and very top heavy. I feel fine on it at speed but in traffic or at parking lot speeds I start having real issues. The problems get worse with a passenger. I have taken rider training as well as a slow speed course and still. At the slow speed course even the instructor had a hard time on my bike. He let me ride the course on his HD road bike and I did ok. I would welcome some input.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Big-V316 said:
Has anyone had a bike that they didn't feel confident riding on or just had problems riding well... .
Oh HELL yeah.

Check out my sig. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I'm riding one right now... It's called a Honda GL1800 Goldwing!

To be fair, I'm a little over 6'-8" tall so even with the mods done for taller folks, it's still snug and there's not much more I can do about it. Still, it's a great ride. After a long day on it, I'll hop on the VTX1800 Retro so I can stretch out a little. After a few mods, that one fits pretty well. 8)

·
Registered
144 Posts
my vulcan 1500, always felt like it was going to fall over in the corners, and felt unstable above 60 mph, was told it was the windshield or tires. changed both no help. any of my old junk bikes road and handled better than that new vulcan.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
If the bike doesn't fit, you must aquit!

er....

Best to feel comfortable for full enjoyment. I had a chopped Triumph (MANY years ago) that just didn't feel right to me, but buddies loved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My current ride - '07 Low Rider. The ergos and low seating position are ideal for me (I'm 5'6") but as I've put more miles on it, I've become very dissatisfied with the stock suspension, the handling at anything over 70mph and the headache inducing wind buffeting - regardless of what type of windshield I have on it. The last straw was a couple of weeks ago when I met up with a number of Wing riders for a ride down to the Texas Hill Country. We hadn't even gotten out of the DFW area and I realized that there was no way I would be able to comfortably keep up with them so I ended up dropping out. It was that ride that made me decide to finally test ride a GL. Now, I can't see myself getting back on the Dyna - even for a short ride to Starbucks.

I've also had several sport bikes but it didn't take long for me to decide that my ability to ride bent over like a new inmate wasn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
A crotch rocket is made for going fast. designed for it.. Not built for 2-up riding.. torture on the passenger.. i don't fit onto almost any of them at my height, can't imagine trying to ride for more than an hour or so.. You just gotta try 'em out until you find one that fits..

It's not just a matter of size.. I tested a venture royal star whatever they call it these days and just couldn't find a comfortable riding position, and it IS a large bike..

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Isnt the Hayabusa designed for rider comfort to be achieved at about 130 mph when the wind will help support the rider's weight?

I had a Kawasaki in the mid-80s that I bought used that drove like a truck. I don't recall the size, as I only owned it a few weeks. It was shaft drive and the big tourer for Kawasaki at the time. Maybe it fit someone, but I was not that guy.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I've loved all my bikes. I did a lot of research before each purchase, right down to the Vulcan 500 I have for sale on the sales board. I would even keep that bike, but have run out of garage space! And loved them all right on back in time! Cars and trucks too!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I rode an "ST" for a little over a week and a half. Bike did not fit me and I was very uncomfortable on it. Not the bikes fault at all.

In fact the "ST" was a great machine but it did not fit my short stature at all.

Same thing for the "V-Rod" I was miserable on that thing. Super bike, just not a fit for me.

Bulldog

·
Registered
244 Posts
Man yea. I tried on the BMW and it felt good at first but the first time I washed it...It shrank. Cant even get onto the freakin thing now.
So ...I went to the Harley shop. I thought I was in a miny bike shop until they told me they WERE the Harleys. Their so cute and little. I bought one for my 12 year old. It sounds so cute.

One day I was walking by the Honda shop and they had a BLACK wing outside. I said heck what the hell. I went in and tried one on and MAN. It fit perfect.

Does that answer your question ? :lol:

·
Registered
271 Posts
At 6ft4in, I bought a new Honda Shadow Aero in 04. If I was about a foot shorter, I would have enjoyed it. After about 6 months I traded for the Wing. I have no regrets.

Is it time for Cats-Cade yet?
Glenn

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Yep, I had a Cushman Eagle that was not a good fit. That darn two speed shift lever that straddled the fuel tank was also a grave concern of mine. LOL :wink: Terry

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I had an '86 Kaw Vulcan 750. Beautiful bike but I could not ride it for more than an hour without major back pain. I just couldn't get comfortable on that bike

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes I had a 03 Wing that the width of the tank and stock peg seating position was not comfortable for me with my bad hip, and when I would use the Highway pegs I felt so splayed out that I know what a woman must feel like on the gyno's table with her feet in the stirrups.

My solution is........well you can all guess....

·
Registered
461 Posts
My uncomfortable one was an '84 Sabre, a great bike, fast and dependable but just didn't seem comfortable for me, after a couple of hundred miles I sold it and moved on.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
with a 38 inch inseam the goldwing will never totally be comfortable. However the positives have outweighed the negatives for me. New seat and Mic's have helped a great deal. I just don't want to give up all the good things about a wing

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I feel like my arms are 2" too short for my Kawasaki VN2000, but Man,
I like the bike. I can't put risers on to pull the handlebars back because
of the nacelle covering everything.

I love the stock handlebar position on the Goldwing, but that seat is a
sad excuse. It should have come with a coupon for a Corbin, Hartco, etc..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts