GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My remote is getting sluggish. Takes two or three tries to unlock the trunk and saddlebags. Is that a dealer fix or can we hapless owners do it?

JLK

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hapless owner item.

The battery is a CR2025. You can pick them up a Radio Slack (and maybe even Walmart these days).

I'm sure the dealer will, but they'll also charge you for it :)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not going to lose the progamming when I pull the battery out for replacement?

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Jan, last thread I saw on this it didn't lose the programming. I haven't done one yet...

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've not done this on my Goldwing yet, but have on various other vehicles and have never lost programming. Of course none of those vehicles have been Honda's so I'm not positive, but I would guess that you will be fine (but I am guessing).

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm not going to lose the progamming when I pull the battery out for replacement?
No, you won't lose the programming. Just make sure you observe battery polarity when you reinstall the battery. Got mine at walgreens.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can get them at Wally World or even the grocery store. Just open it up (unscrew it), make sure you put the battery in correctly (if you don't it doesn;t work), screw the cover back on and off you go. You won't lose any program. I've done it twice and it takes less that a minute or so to do it.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everbody. Got the battery and changed out the old one. Works fine.

JLK

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Thanks everbody. Got the battery and changed out the old one. Works fine.

JLK
Glad it worked out.

Was it the original battery? How long did it last?

The remote for my '02 is still working after more than 9 (nine) years -- original battery and I use it every time I ride.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad it worked out.

Was it the original battery? How long did it last?

The remote for my '02 is still working after more than 9 (nine) years -- original battery and I use it every time I ride.
Yes, it was the original battery. I may have still been good, but I was having some trouble opening the trunk. Had to press it two or three times.

BTW did you know that if the trunk is not latched completely and you try to lock it, the amber lights will flash 10 times?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
BTW did you know that if the trunk is not latched completely and you try to lock it, the amber lights will flash 10 times?
Yep, it says so in the owner's manual! The owner's manual also tells you what battery you need for the remote, and how to replace it. No Internet needed. ;)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Yes, it was the original battery. I may have still been good, but I was having some trouble opening the trunk. Had to press it two or three times.
When my '04 was new, I could trigger the Alarm from across a Walmart Parking lot (a scientific standard unit of distance, like Furlongs or Astronomical Unit). Today, remote still works great mostly at the distances I care, but I can now only cause Passer's buy to $#!t there pants while within viewing distance which has made it difficult as of late to use it without endangering myself. First broken nose, I will be replacing the Battery.
Oh spoiler! I really preferred to think that she was happy to see me, now you have ruined it by adding an explanation!

I made the mistake one day of pairing my S2000 remote to the wing, I usually park my bike in the garage unlatched, so every time I drive up and lock Stewie, my Wing greets me with many happy flashes :yes:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, it says so in the owner's manual! The owner's manual also tells you what battery you need for the remote, and how to replace it. No Internet needed. ;)
You are quite right my friend. However, sharing information with my friends in a social setting is far more fun than sitting by myself leafing through an owners manual. It's quite likely that the majority of the information discussed here is available elsewhere. I find the social aspect of sharing information appealing. You may not agree.

·
Registered
19,321 Posts
Never have changed the battery on the remote. Only lock it on overnite trips. Lucky I guess

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
You are quite right my friend. However, sharing information with my friends in a social setting is far more fun than sitting by myself leafing through an owners manual. It's quite likely that the majority of the information discussed here is available elsewhere. I find the social aspect of sharing information appealing. You may not agree.
:agree:

But I have to smile at the statement "no internet needed", posted on the internet.

Epimenides would smile, too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My remote is getting sluggish. Takes two or three tries to unlock the trunk and saddlebags. Is that a dealer fix or can we hapless owners do it?

JLK
Remote!! What's up with that?

I am a newbie to the max without (manual) . . . but . . . there is a remote?

Thanks.

Manual is on the way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts