GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
? I did my valves on my 2008 earlier this Spring. (5) Exhaust and (2) Intakes required centre-spec'ing.

Only one of the original shims had a "210" designation. This week I was installing a Warm-n-Safe coaxial adaptor into my left fairing panel just under/beside the highlight adjuster. During the install, I noticed a 2 inch diameter spot on the floor that looked like...Yikes!!...oil. Upon further investigation there were actually (3) oil spots.

As it turned out, the entire front underside of the belly-pan was caked in crud. Smokes! My OCD kicked in really badly. I quickly ascertained that the oil was dripping from the left cam-chain tensioner "plug". A quick check of the torque revealed that the plug was vastly under the required 9-lb ft. Alzhiemers exhibit #1.

During all this, I happened upon a glint of something metallic on the floor under where my cowling had been removed above. What the H... was that? Turned out to be a Honda OEM valve shim. Oh CRAP!!!! Alzhiemers exhibit #2.

I've always wondered about that "injector tick" coming from the left-side...near #1 cylinder...right near the exhaust lobe...that had my only original "210" shim.:laugh:

I hope these early signs are reversible!:crying:

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
THINK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE ! YA WERENT ON A TRIP 1000 MILES FROM HOME AND YOUR "TICK " "TICK " TICK " WENT "KABOOM " !! :surprise: :serious: HOPEFULLY NO DAMAGE . GIVE YA SOMETHING TO DO THIS WEEKEND ! :wink2::grin2:HOW DID SHIM GET OUT OF VALVE COVER ??

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THINK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE ! YA WERENT ON A TRIP 1000 MILES FROM HOME AND YOUR "TICK " "TICK " TICK " WENT "KABOOM " !! :surprise: :serious: HOPEFULLY NO DAMAGE . GIVE YA SOMETHING TO DO THIS WEEKEND ! :wink2::grin2:HOW DID SHIM GET OUT OF VALVE COVER ??
That's where the memory lapse comes in! I don't remember ever "losing" a shim when I did the centering. The bike runs well and I have put on about 900 miles since the clearances were centre-spec'd.

I planned on using a HotCam kit I purchased years ago but my OCD wouldn't let me do anything but a "centre-spec" so I needed the finer options that OEM Honda offers. I then just put my unneeded OEM olden shims removed from the bike into the HotCams storage case. Maybe I accidentally dropped one into the Abyss and it ended up on the inside of my now-removed cowl?:frown2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts