GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure have...The predictions of tire failures and crash & burns have almost disappeared.

I think even those who are adverse to it have to admit that, for many, the CT is not only a viable option but a damn good one.

I predict that as the hundreds of thousands of miles on CTs rack up, with only smiles, there will be more than a few of them who will want to see for themselves.:thumbup:

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Yeah, have noticed it. Makes it kind of dull around here tho...not much in the way of heated threads. Just keep adding new happy darksiders to the list...day in day out. Maybe they will let us join the ranks in the general and tech forums...maybe someday...sigh.

·
Registered
796 Posts
But Murgie, if we join the mainstream we won't be as edgy, as interesting....as cool. It's almost like being in a bad gang...the rebels...how would we call ourselves "darksiders" if we ever entered the mainstream?:doorag:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I'm waiting for the day when MC tires will be in the minority for our bikes. I believe that it may be only a few years away. At our lunch runs more and more riders are showing up with CTs on the rear and I am asked many times questions that we see on here all the time about CTs. As the kids say "Darkside Rule"

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
As a possible user, I have the wheel, not the tire, isn't it more likely that most of us don't really care. About 1/3 of the guys I ride with use CT's they like them. Whether I ever use one or not, it really effects me not at all what you use. I believe most would fit into my category. Sooner of later I'll try it. why, because I'm curious and I've never been satisfied with what is available. If I like it I'll stay with it. If I don't, I won't but you won't hear anything from me trying to convince anyone else otherwise.;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Believe it or not, even on the street it is not being poo pooed like it was. I just talked to a guy who is buying a wing and saw my tire. He asked so I told him about it and the benefits I found in using one. I also told him to research this site and make up his own mind. An email today confirmed that he also will go dark when his tire wears out. The idea is not so far fetched after all.

Nick

·
Registered
124 Posts
isn't it more likely that most of us don't really care. ;)

:shrug: Does this mean most af ya'll are comming over to the Darksiders forum just lurking cause you don't care??? I don't make it a practice to visit websites that I don't care about. LOL

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep...more people are asking questions about the set up rather than telling me that I'm going to kill myself, or worse.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Opinion: Any Run flat car tire in combination with a 709 Stone on the front of any 1800 is the best set up one can get with this particular bike.

Fact: A Run Flat is simply a very safe and long wearing alternative to the typical cupping and separating and sometimes dangerous available motorcycle tire. The run flat simply provides that element of safety that is not available with a regular tire. The other things such as a good ride, better braking and better traction are simply part of what goes with the whole thing. All of it is good.

Other than a bit of a different feel at first with a Run flat, I do not know of anyone who can provide a negative to the use of one. Once you run one for several years, it is just like second nature and most of us would never consider a return to round tire.

I belong to a fairly large local club and always now instead of you are going to kill yourself , are questions, and can you help me get set up too?? They have watched me ride the group rides, and easily avoid pot holes and found out I do not have to put the bike on a trailer to go around every corner. :joke: They watch me beat them at the slow ride and running the cones, and the light bulb comes on.

A lot of information is out here now about this, many miles have been logged with no failures of any tire properly maintained and taken care of.

With all the information out about this, and with the track record we now have, what could be better?

Kit

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:thumbup:

Paul,
Ya found that callin' to be a "Prophet" and the podium is here but if I see an offerin' plate passed or them x number of virgins needed I am hidin' someplace else !!!:lol::lol::lol::popcorn:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Paul that is because you have more slow riders going to CT

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
As a possible user, I have the wheel, not the tire, isn't it more likely that most of us don't really care. About 1/3 of the guys I ride with use CT's they like them. Whether I ever use one or not, it really effects me not at all what you use. I believe most would fit into my category. Sooner of later I'll try it. why, because I'm curious and I've never been satisfied with what is available. If I like it I'll stay with it. If I don't, I won't but you won't hear anything from me trying to convince anyone else otherwise.;)
Hey Old Guy, I've got a Vanco2 mounted on a rim if you want to try it on your bike for a while. I'm just around the corner from you. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Do any of you insurance guys have a thought on this subject? Can a insurance company say they won't pay due to unsafe unauthorized modifications to the bike.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Thanks Lefti I have a tire on order.

Hey Bardo thanks for twisting the meaning of my post. perhaps you're part of the problem:thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Do any of you insurance guys have a thought on this subject? Can a insurance company say they won't pay due to unsafe unauthorized modifications to the bike.

Joe.this question has been brought up many times,and the truth of the matter is No insurance company can deny a claim based on what brand or type of tires are on any vehicle.Unless they can prove the owener was negligent in maintaining them.
ie: Keeping the proper tire pressure up if no sign of debris puncture was found.And even that is a stretch to prove..

Here are other things to consider.
anything other than the "stock" brake pedal
anything other than the "stock" shifter
anything other than the "stock" windshield
how about those aftermarket floorboards (surely they must interfere with "normal" operation)
and those aftermarket hand-grips .

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks Lefti I have a tire on order.

Hey Bardo thanks for twisting the meaning of my post. perhaps you're part of the problem:thumbup:
Sorry bout that, just too easy of a twist. I gotta get them in when I can.

Hey Wingriderzzzz, I don't remember registering my C/T with any one and was wondering if you took my bike off the 4,304,000 stack and put it in the 2000 stack. If not then it should read 4,303,999 and 2001. Wow, it's gettin closer..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts