GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not so much a technical question but rather comment to what has happened to my wing!

Saturday morning, I drove aproximately 110 mile from Chicago burbs to Jainsville Airport in Wisconsin for Wisconsin's Chapter A dust off and tire kicking.

(BTW... at one point, there was a count of 120 Gold Wings there).

As I turned on to access road, all of a sudden I was hearing and feeling a most horrific grinding from the engine! :eek:4: Thinking that maybe I was stuck between gears, I shifted up and down and the noise would not go away. I pulled in to where all of the other wingers were only to see them looking at me like "What the hell?????"

I turned bike off, and started it again. The grinding was immediate, even in neutral! However, if I pulled in the clutch, the engine was just as quiet as it should be.

Reverse works, BUT... was hard to get reverse to activate, on more than one occasion.

More observation... With bike on center stand, started it and went thru the gears, 1st was the most horrific, then second then third was quieter. 4th was completely normal but 5th had grinding once again.

Also... bike off and in neutral, center stand, hand turned the rear wheel and it was "sloppy" / jerky.

I know it's not the timing belt because the engine is quiet and normal with cluth engaged.

I am thinking, but do not know, that the the transmission is gone.

Fortunately, my brother, also a winger, had a motorcycle tailer and we pulled it back 110 miles to my place Saturday night. Des Plaines Honda picked the bike up today.

I know nothing else at this point. How sad it was to have a wing on a trailer. Last time I go to wisconsin! LOL

BTW... 2007, orange, airbag, 42,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Major suckage, but got a good dealer. Let us know what the issue is/was. I am thinking tranny or axle....

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's the tranny. It has happened to many and if you do a search you will find several posts about it. I speak from first hand experience as it happened to my 07, also with about 40-42K miles on it, in early Feb. Had a complete tranny rebuild under warranty. Long story short is is generally caused by bent shift forks. It is a known problem and your dealer should be aware of it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
sure sounds like a bad weekend , sorry for you bad luck! 3 year warrenty right, it should be covered. only guessing but I would say you have a bearing in the trans that gave up.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK... if it is the tranny, does the engine need to be dropped to fix?

How long can I expect my down time to be?

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
OK... if it is the tranny, does the engine need to be dropped to fix?

How long can I expect my down time to be?
The engine has to come out and the block split to access the transmission.

You should be happy if you get it back in a month from when it goes in.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:frown: Thank you Hazel, I think????? :roll:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
And STAY out of Wisconsin on that Harley sound-a-like!!!!!

That was awful of you to prank us like that!! I heard that and turned around expecting to see a pre-WWII Harley in it's last throes of death!!!

lol

JK folks . . . . JK . . .

Actually, I think the root cause is that there are too many lights on that Wing and thus it was overweighted, even though you only weigh 120 lbs soaking wet!!!!

Anyway, sorry to learn of that, but I am sure DP Honda will get you fixed up in a hurry!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I broke a driveshaft one time. :D Yes in the wing. I had 20k on it. Yea I sometimes like to drive it like a borrowed it. It sounds almost the same. I couldnt go anywhere. The driveshaft basically shrunk together. It was shorter than it was supposed to be. It was not engaging the spines properly. It had some funny things happening as you described. I am not an expert here but I am just offereing something else it could be. The warranty will cover it either way. OR at least it should.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE.....

I called Des Plaines Honda and was pleasantly surprised. Was told by service manager that the engine was almost already off of the bike and they will open it up this afternoon.

He also told me that he had personally not heard one as bad as mine to date. :eek:4:

I said to him, John... remember I have had you note it in my service records on several occasions about the "bad shifting" between 4th and 5th gear? He said yes and that he brought that up to the owner as well. I am glad I had them note it!

So... perhaps by days end I will know the specific problem and will let you guys know!

·
Registered
967 Posts
UPDATE.....

I said to him, John... remember I have had you note it in my service records on several occasions about the "bad shifting" between 4th and 5th gear? He said yes and that he brought that up to the owner as well. I am glad I had them note it!
Oh nooooo, I have the same bad shifting problem on mine and it was like that from the get-go. The bike is an 09 with 1200 miles on it. I was thinking it might go away, but from what you're telling us, I better take it in ASAP :22yikes:

Please let us know what the problem was and if the poor shifting problem has anything to do with it

Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far...... my bike was towed to dealer this Monday, as of yesterday, engine out and transmission apart. Honda regional rep coming to look at it today, parts ordered and Dealership thinks it will be back together Tuesday of next week??? Something as catastrophic as this and I might mave bike back in just over a week. THAT's a GREAT dealer.

Des Plaines Honda, Des Plaines, IL.

PEOPLE!!!!! DO MAKE SURE YOUR DEALER NOTES YOUR SERVICE RECORD EVERYTIME IF TRANSMISSION BURPS BETWEEN 4TH AND 5TH. I did and I am so VERY glad I did. ONLY WITH DOCUMENTATION LIKE THIS CAN HONDA MAKE FOR RECALLS IF NEEDED.

OF NOTE... I found out from service manager that mother Honda will only give the dealers 16 man hours to do this job. While that may be feasable on a naked, no farkled bike, no way can they do it on a bike like mine. Those that do know, I have a few lights on my bike and those wires became in the way, but I told the mechanic, don't worry about that, just fix the transmission. (Do you know that for EVERY WIRE for my lights that he clipped, he labeled the wires for re-connect?) WOW :cool:

The other "problem" with doing this job in 16 hours is that I also have the airbag model.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Some shops I've been to it would take the mechanic 16 hours to find the tranny! Let alone repair it

Sounds like you have a excellent dealer. Good luck!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
UPDATE.....

Bumper, so how long of a time period was it from when you first noticed the shifting problem from 4th to 5th until your failure occured?

Also, did the shifting from 4th ot 5th get worse and worse until the failure or was it the same and then BOOM?

Thanks,

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bumper, so how long of a time period was it from when you first noticed the shifting problem from 4th to 5th until your failure occured?

Also, did the shifting from 4th ot 5th get worse and worse until the failure or was it the same and then BOOM?

Thanks,
PBS519,

I noticed the issue between 4th and 5th from the get go after initial purchase brand new. This is my 3rd GL1800 and I knew it was not due to "lazy shifting". I do NOT have a heel/toe shifter on the bike either.

The 4th / 5th shifting issue was sporatic, but it was there. I knew something was just not right.

No... as time went by, I did not notice it being more frequent or anything like that. All I can tell you is when it failed Saturday, it was instantaniously.

BTW... just got off phone with Honda shop and indeed one of the 3 shifter forks was bad, which when it failed, cause some other gears to be ground. All parts are already ordered. Again, I am so happy my bike is where it is.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
While more Tupperware than anything, I got hit by a car and took my bike to DesPlaines. 7k$ or so of parts and repairs later...beautiful. No issues, no follow up needed...8 days including getting the parts.

Miss them. The dealer that's nearby here has 20 brands and a bunch of young guns wanting to talk speed...worry if I ever have to take my Wing in. DesPlaines is a Winger's shop....

BTW, my first one, #300 +/- off the line (2001) sat in the window at DesPlaines until the snow melted and I had to go by and see it on the train twice a day for 4-6 weeks. PAIN!

·
Registered
967 Posts
PBS519,

I noticed the issue between 4th and 5th from the get go after initial purchase brand new. This is my 3rd GL1800 and I knew it was not due to "lazy shifting". I do NOT have a heel/toe shifter on the bike either.

The 4th / 5th shifting issue was sporatic, but it was there. I knew something was just not right.

No... as time went by, I did not notice it being more frequent or anything like that. All I can tell you is when it failed Saturday, it was instantaniously.

BTW... just got off phone with Honda shop and indeed one of the 3 shifter forks was bad, which when it failed, cause some other gears to be ground. All parts are already ordered. Again, I am so happy my bike is where it is.
My 4th to 5th shifting problem was also from the get go. So am I to believe this shifting issue is the initial start of transmission failure? Which in our case would absolutly be a manufacturer defect since we didn't put any miles on our bikes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you think these transmission shifter fork issues are not major, think again.

I visited my shop today and this is my engine. :cry:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts