GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I think they will be but one more good safety tool to add to the arsenal. Might take a bit of adjustment at first, but once gotten used to it would be great to see a parabolic rear view.

Depends also on helmet fit, and price. A good standard helmet now costs 7 to 8 hundred time you put communications in it.

Just a guess but should work well for 95 percent of folks, if the passenger is tall might block the rear sensor, might not, not knowing how it is actually constructed.

Technology makes improvements each year. I like it, never one to stay in the dark ages.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'd just be happy to find some regular helmets in my size. When you get into the 3XL range - the pickings are SLIM. There are several nice choices out there I'd like to spend my money on - but the manufacturers just don't think people with big heads should get the same protection. Same with riding pants. For some reason - there's plenty of jackets - but very few riding pants.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If I wanted all that information....I'll drive a car. Personally I think it would be an unsafe distraction. IMHO, people are loosing focus on what motorcycling is about: Freedom of the open road and getting away from all the daily bull****. I don't want a helmet that makes phone calls, tells me my location, speed & direction. When I'm on my bike, I want to do one thing & one thing only....ride.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I think it is awesome, and one day will be common. But I suspect by the time all the bugs are worked out and it becomes affordable, my riding days will be long behind me. They still can't even make a GPS that is reasonably accurate, with POI's that are more miss than hit, and look how long have those been on the market.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
As was previously mentioned, the fit of the helmet and of course, the cost! Which when initially released will more then likely be extremely expensive. But I really like the technology and can see how it will benefit the rider! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
.. if they put me in charge of engineering ..lol...
both the audio AND the video of your partners riding helmet would be networked.
That way, you could view the rear camera from your passengers helmet if you need to or wanted to do so..(no worries about them blocking your view)

.. Likewise, If the passenger choose to look at the riders rear view camera, then she would be looking at herself..You know, fix her makeup , apply some sunblock.. that sort of thing...

Finally if both helmets had both front AND rear cameras, then some real fun could be had..
The passenger could look through the riders front camera and enjoy his view.. kinda like setting behind someone with a glass head..

And/But..
I think the best untapped use for rear cameras would be in vehicle profile/silhouette recognition.
With a half decent lens, a small computer should easily be able to identify and alert you that the guy way behind you fits the silhouette of someone you might want to slow down for, if you get my meaning..
.. It would not take much computing power to differentiate between a deer on the roof vs a rack of blue and Red lights.. even from a great distance..

..i think the whole camera thing is just beginning to be tapped.
A camera and computer should be able to alert you if someone is closing too fast from behind even if you're momentarily not paying attention.
(and/or, automatically fire your rear facing disruptor ray if necessary)
:)

Dennis

·
Banned
792 Posts
If I wanted all that information....I'll drive a car. Personally I think it would be an unsafe distraction. IMHO, people are loosing focus on what motorcycling is about: Freedom of the open road and getting away from all the daily bull****. I don't want a helmet that makes phone calls, tells me my location, speed & direction. When I'm on my bike, I want to do one thing & one thing only....ride.
I agree. I do not even want to be able to talk on a stupid cell phone while I am riding. I like to leave all that junk behind me and just ride. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts