GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Have have seen one and actually owned one in 1986. When I bought it, it was made in a small town in Ontario Canada called Marmora. It was made by a company called Westdan Trailers. In 1989, the company name changed to West Sons Trailers. I had the model that had two double beds and pulled it behind my 1985 GL1200 Aspencade from Ontario to British Columbia for Expo '86. Mine did not have the A/C unit and it was not even offered at that time. I am not sure if they are still making them anymore. They were all canvas at that time but would imagine that they are using new materials which would make them lighter.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
No new materials. I had one for a week and it took me two years to get rid of it. Stay away from them. They are a pain to set up and take down. To many poles to put up and the add a room must be put up every nite as it is attached to the main trailer tarps. The hard top is very finiky, heavy to set up and you can pinch fingers setting it up. I live about 90 miles from where they were built and I have not seen them at any bike shows in the last five years. They list them at 260 LBS empty but I weighed mine and it weighed three hundred and thirty pounds empty. Much better trailers on the market for same money. Roger

·
Registered
305 Posts
With that A/C on it you could cool the whole campground!!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Well if the price is right?

·
Registered
923 Posts
THAT AIR CONDITIONER IS DESIGNED TO COOL AN AREA OF ABOUT 800 SQFT. THEY ARE ALSO USED FOR FULL SIZED CAMPERS LIKE 5th WHEELS OVER 30 ft LONG. YOU NEED SPECIAL 30 AMP ELECTRICAL SITES JUST TO BE ABLE TO RUN THE A/C. THEY ALSO ADD ABOUT 100lbs TO THE WEIGHT OF THE UNIT. WHO EVER DESIGNED THESE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING.......:eek:4:

·
Registered
77 Posts
As far as the A/C goes, it draws 8.2 amps on startup and 6.0 amps running on high cool (per my amprobe). It is a Coleman 7100 btu (small). The only way you can pinch your fingers is when you don't pay attention to what you are doing. Had mine modified and did away with the room add-on and went with an awning to park the bike under and it sets up in about 4-5 minutes, the top cranks up so you don't have to strain to get it up. I agree there are better units on the market, but I only paid two hundred ($200.00) for my ('98) last year and everything worked like new. After the add-on room was taken off, it weighed in under 300lbs. So far I have under $500.00 in it and I will keep it until something else comes up. Face it, spending more than four thousand dollars on something that gets used on average of two weeks a year makes no sense. And pulling a trailer takes aways some of the fun that we bought a bike for. JMHO

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
They were built basically in my backyard here in Peterborough, Ontario. We locals called them the COFFIN! They were ok for a small car but way too heavy for a bike! Tongue weight was really heavy too. In my opinion... find something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts