GL1800Riders Forums banner

Have you taken any of the MSF riding courses?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) courses of GREAT BENEFIT and highly recommend them to EVERYONE, no matter how long you have been riding. Be the safest rider you can be. Spring is coming. Classes fill quickly. http://www.msf-usa.org/

·
Registered
291 Posts
Took my first MSF course (the ERC) for the first time, about 20 years after I started riding.

Excellent learning and refresher experience! I try to take an ERC about every other year, just to keep busting any bad habits that have crept in.

Roy

·
Registered
681 Posts
I try to take the ERC every other year.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Took the intermediate 3 years ago and the expert two years ago and the expert 2 up last year. Gets better each time. Improves your skill level and thus lowers your risk factor.

I am planning on doing one this year too. Its fun, meet people and I want to be an instructor in the future. I live 5 minutes from the course and do the field when I have nothing better to do.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if someone is looking to take a course, get the opinions of some experienced riders who have taken it from that instructor.

just like anything else, there are poor instructors in every walk of life. remember that somebody graduated last in their class in no matter what you do. stay away from that one if possible.

loren

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I take the ERC every year

Every year I either learn some thing new or am remembering what was taught the year before. I feel it is the best money you can spend on yourself. Plus if you belong to the Honda Riders Club you can get your class fees back.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
just went through the ERC course last Sunday.....good to hone skills and easier to get feed back than when you're in the parking lot by yourself.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I am one of those who doesn't think it can
teach me anything, but someday I will take
a course. Started out on the Honda 50 minitrail,
then 70, then 125. Rode & wrecked the heck
out of those, and figured I learned all about
what I can & can't do. I drive pretty conservatively
on asphalt. I have to really, really try to make
floor boards grind, etc...

·
Registered
35 Posts
After 45 years of street riding, I still learn/relearn skills from the advanced course. I try to take the course every other year.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's just plain foolish not to take the MSF courses. They are cheap & they are life savers. IMHO

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Registered
615 Posts
And you can take the course at some of the bigger rallies. You just have to sign up and show off your skills. Joy

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have done both MRC and ERC's. We get the group together every few years and do an ERC. Highly recommend to all that ride. And for those that think you don't now or will ever need to take an ERC: Stay away from me. Nothing worse than an old timer that thinks he knows it all and always wants to try to prove it.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
gr8wing.......No problem, I'll stay far away! I wouldn't want to get in your way.LOL... Some of us "Old Timers" can make a Wing dance! I'd hate to see you hurt yourself trying to keep up with this Old Timer! :D

What I think is worse, is someone that has a certificate and has little or no skills to go with it! Those same people don't have a clue they don't know how to ride, because some instructor(?) said they could.

What qualifies someone to become a instructor? Do they pay their money and they are one? The few I've been around aren't real swift when it comes to handling a Wing. Most of them had more B/S than you could shake a stick at. It wouldn't even good B/S! :(

Why do they allow rookies to take the Advanced riding courses? People that haven't had a m/c endorsement more than a few months can get a Advanced Certificate. Am I wrong?

For a rider to become "certified", shouldn't the instructor be made to ride as a passenger 1 hour in congested traffic with the person he is certifying? Unless you are a complete clutz, knowone fails.

One of these days I'm going to take a course. I know I can learn something that might help keep me alive another 38 years on the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
DO IT. I thought I knew it all too :oops: I've sent 6 people to take the class, they loved it!! I'm going back for the advanced class soon. BEST 3 day's learning somthing you thought you knew. DO IT!!!! :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
As a few other have done, I also take it every other year. I always get reminded of the things that I know about and seem to have found a way to forget and get away from doing correctly.

By the way Loren, do you ever have anything positive to say?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Red, I am no rookie. I have been riding one thing or another since the age of 6. I have ridden tote goats, mini bikes, dirt bikes, v-twins, old 750 4's silverwings, ventures and have stuck with goldwings for many years. I am not saying that a person "needs" a certificate to prove that they can ride. There is no substitute for experience, but a little refresher now and again on the physics of it all can't hurt. On the other hand, if someone is so set that they can't be taught anything, then they can't. Don't waste your money if you plan on walking in the door knowing that they can't teach you anything. That would also hurt the ones that are there for a reason.

If you have not read the Hurt report, maybe you should.

BTW: I don't play that keep up with me game. The last thing in the world you want is to taunt someone into riding beyond their ability just "To Keep Up" I would not want that accident on my shoulders!

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Don...... I agree with you on all points! :) I wasn't referring to you as a "Rookie". I was referring to rookies taking advanced safety courses. I think that is wrong and to knowones benefit..

There is no substitute for seat time and a little education could sure add to ones safety.

I have a problem with the $150 MSF courses down here that people take to get their m/c endorsement. They seem to be for nothing except to collect revenue. "This is a motorcycle, this is your frt brake, this is your rear brake, this is a throttle, this is your clutch." "This is pavement, it is not your friend if you come off of your bike at speed!" Since you paid your $150 for the class you can now legally ride a motorcycle in the State of Florida. LOL!! I can imagine most, if not all states are the same.

I never ask anyone to ride beyond their ability or comfort level when they are with me. I'm pretty good about reading someones ability. The 1800 is very agile and you can play hard with confidence. I'm not into speed anymore, but there isn't a corner or curve I won't attack. I've never been one to ride a Wing like it was a two-wheeled car. Most people do! :(

I'd still like to know, what qualifies a instructor to be a instructor?

Be safe.......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts