GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else following this saga?
Man Hal and the boys are doing a great job, no?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I check the VTX site a couple times a day. So I have been keeping up with the post and pic's. It will be interesting when we can see the finished product.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
It's a nice project and all, but that's just not my preference when it comes to a motorcycle. I strongly prefer discussion about touring bikes to choppers/cruisers.

Choppers and cruisers are "if you've seen one, you've seen them all" in my book.

H

·
0 Posts
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a nice project and all, but that's just not my preference when it comes to a motorcycle. I strongly prefer discussion about touring bikes to choppers/cruisers.

Choppers and cruisers are "if you've seen one, you've seen them all" in my book.

R. Fenwick - Illinois
2002 GL1800 - Silver
I am glad that you think its a nice project. I have had many people say that all Gold Wings look alike too. But I guess thats why people prefer other flavors of ice cream than vanilla.

We are hoping that the VTX Chopper is well received by people who like to look at the style. Honda has already invited us to display the bike at the Honda Homecoming in July.

·
Registered
134 Posts
mrgl02 said:

Mrgl02, you're right. We all have our own preference. Mine just happens to be anything with 2 wheels. I love them all...from dirt bikes to crotch rockets :yes: (although I do have a special fondness for big bikes with LOTS of chrome) . Guess it's true what they say about us women. Just can't seem to make up our minds sometimes. Too cool, Hal. Keep us posted.

P.S.
Hal, regarding the ice cream. Could I please have a scoop of vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, peach, and anything else you may have laying around? :D

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
although i do like the skill that goes into building the chooper things, i dont like them

loren

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
Chef.....It could be that we have no more interest in the VTX, HD clone, than the "X" owners do in the Wing. Neither one has any real personality. At least the Wing looks like a Wing, it's not trying to be a HD look alike!

G

·
0 Posts
Ha, if anything is a "seen one seen them all" bike, the GL1800 is!

Building choppers (I mean real choppers) isn't about making something that will satisfy everyone that looks at it, it's about building a bike in a very traditional way with your own two hands, and knowing that everything on the bike is a result of your own decisions and hands-on work. So if someone is looking at the bike and not finding it interesting, they are looking in the wrong direction -- you need to find the guy that built it, that's when it gets interesting.

It's like the difference between people who prefer that the dealer do everything for them vs. the guy that takes care of his own maintenance (tire changes, valve adjustments, headlight bulbs [puleeeze!], etc). Some people get a lot of satisfaction out of doing it themselves.

·
Registered
550 Posts
wing lover

I love my wing, but that is going to be a great looking bike. Would like to have one just to run around town on!!

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I have been watching Amercian Chopper, and Jesse James shows sence they started ,and most of the reruns. The bikes they build are not all alike.If you take the time to look at the detail of each one you will be amazed at what they do. Hal and Co. building a custom based on the VTX is a very cool idea.. Its about time.Now that I know about it I will be waiting to see the finnished product.
Will it be at Americade?
Mick :yw1:

H

·
0 Posts
It will be with us at Americade and every other event we do. The only exception will be the Honda Homecoming where Honda has asked us to let them display the VTX Chopper and GL1800 Nicky Hayden Replica at the factory. We are excited.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I see that I created some discussion. Let me take a minute to restate...

As I understand it, there are two projects going on right now... the VTX/chopper and the GL1800/Hayden replica.

The original comment was if there was a following of the VTX/chopper project. There doesn't seem to be a huge following of that project.

Now, let's look at this from "the other side of the fence". How much discussion is there on the VTX group about the GL1800/Hayden replica? I have to guess (as I have no idea), but I'll bet that it isn't really a hot topic with them... as the VTX/chopper project isn't really a hot topic here either.

I'd like to see and hear more about the Hayden replica... Why? Because I own a GL1800, and have an interest in GL1800's. And following that same logic, I don't have a huge interest in the VTX project. It is not that I don't care, or that I think that it is a waste of effort and money (and I don't, when it is someone else's money)... I just don't have the same interest in that type of motorcycle.

My apologies if I offended anyone, but it is all a matter of personal taste. I just don't have the appreciation for the chopper/cruisers/Harley style of bike, even though that market has been red-hot for several years now.

I am looking forward to seeing the completed GL1800/Hayden replica.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i also watch the american chopper show on the tube. i really enjoy watching how any thing is made or built. i would watch a show on how they made tupperware if it were on. thats stuff is of great interest to me.

however i dont care one lick for the bikes that the pauls build. i do think they are all alike.

long front--

un comfy stylish seat

unuseable handlebars

gaudy amounts of chrome

loud unreliable engine

very few if any safety features--some have no front brakes

in other words a work of some art that isnt for function

ill stick to my comfy pacific coast and goldwing

and watch the rest on the tube

and please dont get me started on that no talent jesse james clown

loren

·
Registered
41 Posts
x-chopper

I have been tryin to keep an eye on the x-chopper since i was aware of it. I think that it is neat and also think the RC51/GL1800 wing look pretty awesome. As far as a no-talent Jesse James I just received the new issue of cycle-world magazine, and it appears that the design team at Honda has chosen him to build the vtx into a cafe racer. It looks pretty awesome. The article also went on to say that it is also a prototype that there are plans to market it in the future. After all the rune/ruin isnt all that functional of a bike either I think that honda had better designs for that bike and chose the ugliest thing they could put on the floor. I would rather have a valkyrie over the rune . Or my wing for that fact.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Pacific Coast

Loren,

Do you have a pic of your pacific coast posted anywhere on this site? Id like to see it.

~Brian

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Pacific Coast

BrianSC said:
Loren,

Do you have a pic of your pacific coast posted anywhere on this site? Id like to see it.

~Brian
Here's a site with pictures of my Pacific Coast...

http://pc_800.tripod.com

It is candy red and silver.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts