GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the problem. I was playing my MP3 player through the Aux port and have lost all radio controls. The volume won’t work or even give me a display of the current setting, Can’t cut the Aux function off, the FM on, the Intercom on, or CB on. Nothing works! No mode control on either side. No control from handlebars or from control pad on tank. NOTHING!! Only thing that shows up is the Mute light. This has happened twice. First time it reset after cutting the switch off and back on. Not happing this time. Removed the MP3 player and tried all controls again, with same nothing results. Will try removing the battery cable tomorrow and see if that works. Anyone else have any other viable suggestions?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a simiar set of symptoms and it turned out to be a little tiny grain of rock or sand or somesuch wedged between a radio button and the plastic around the button. The button was stuck in a permanent "down" position, pre-empting all other radio input (except mute).

It took a quick run around the edge(s) of the button with a plastic picnic knife (it was what I had handy) and I was good to go.

MMe

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
"stuck" radio......

A grain of sand stuck in one of the buttons is the primary cause for a “stuck” radio. I had a frequent problem of this when I was on a vacation that ended up having about 600+ miles of dirt road. The hard part is finding out which button is stuck to run the plastic knife around. About 99% of the time, you can “pick” it out with a plastic knife, 0.8% of the remaining takes something a little more solid like a pocket knife or thin metal. The other 0.2% may require something a little more drastic like removing the radio from the shelter and removing the button panel to clean off. I have seen a couple of posts here where they did remove the button panel to clear the object.

·
Banned
96 Posts
if you have passenger volume control,make sure the TX or push to talk button is not stuck in. if this button is stuck in you will not be able to operate any function of the audio system.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I recently went to the Angel City Rally in GA and there were dirt roads everywhere! Bike was covered by a layer of dust and dirt and it was after this I started having the problem. This morning everything was OK after sitting all night. Will do a through inspection of all butons tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the radio system has a overload built in the protect circuits from too much input? My MP3 player's volume control is always set to wide open and then I control the listening volume with the bike controls. Do the same if I use my Tape deck or CD player. Will this affect anything?

I

·
0 Posts
Hopefully it is the sand grains sticking the buttons as others have suggested. Highly probable.

Put in tunnel fillers to prevent road crap from getting on your dash or in your face. Best money you will ever spend.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No audio

As trplsea said check for a stuck transmit button. Friend had that same problem and we looked it over in the dealers parking lot and found that the passenger PTT button was lock in cocked position, Cycled button and all equipment came back to life. They were able to depart on their vaction. Tom

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Mama Chicken said:
Does anyone know if the radio system has a overload built in the protect circuits from too much input? My MP3 player's volume control is always set to wide open and then I control the listening volume with the bike controls. Do the same if I use my Tape deck or CD player. Will this affect anything?

I don’t think that you will have that sort of problem. What you may encounter first would be premature distortion with a signal on the high end of its amplification getting amplified more. You just have to find a volume setting on both to provide the best sound on various volume settings on the wing radio.

I have my CD changer plugged into the AUX and I keep the bike volume at 4-5. The audio feed I am getting is at a rather loud volume all on its own and there is no way to change it as it is a native J-Link feed (JVC). In all actuality, the auto volume works a great deal better at those numbers. If I listen to the AM/FM, I have to pump the number up to 7-8 around town and 10-14 on the highway and auto volume is on High. The down side to this....... If you have a GPS bike, forget hearing it at 65-70 unless you put your tunes on speaker and blast the volume. Honda went “stupid” on the volume setting for the GPS providing very little control on volume of the voice prompts.

A

·
0 Posts
Mine turned out to be the passenger PTT switch was stuck in. This post helped me figure it out. It was wierd how nothing worked except the rotary buttons on the console.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was wierd how nothing worked except the rotary buttons on the console.

When mine locked up even the rotary buttions didn't work.

I did a pretty thourgh inspection and cleaning off all knobs and buttons today. We'll see it it happens again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts