GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
9,878 Posts
And just "think" my 2002 cost me $15,000 (loaded) when I bought it way back then..........
{I now ride a 2010 triked out} and I paid less for this new bike than, (and triked it out) for less money, BRAND NEW

Ronnie
3/16/23

Reactions: judgedredd331

· Registered
2,629 Posts
I see the MSRP on Honda USA‘s website for a 2023 DCT Tour is $29,600 USD.

So, accounting for inflation, a 2023 DCT Tour Wing is the same price as a new Wing was in 2003.

I find that remarkable.

Minimally, the value added features (or ‘extras) the 2023 version has over the 2003 model is the DCT transmission, electric windscreen, Hossack front supension, and standard equipment auxiliary lights.

Yes, many of us suffer from “sticker shock” when we see $29,600 or whatever number, but when you examine what one is actually getting for one’s money in 2023, it becomes palatable.

Tim

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,425 Posts
I see the MSRP on Honda USA‘s website for a 2023 DCT Tour is $29,600 USD.

So, accounting for inflation, a 2023 DCT Tour Wing is the same price as a new Wing was in 2003.

I find that remarkable.

Minimally, the value added features (or ‘extras) the 2023 version has over the 2003 model is the DCT transmission, electric windscreen, Hossack front supension, and standard equipment auxiliary lights.

Yes, many of us suffer from “sticker shock” when we see $29,600 or whatever number, but when you examine what one is actually getting for one’s money in 2023, it becomes palatable.

Tim
Also the electronics which includes total iPod integration, phone integration with voice control with AA, AC, ABS brakes, traction control, HSA, and engine modes all included for the same price as the 2003 Gold Wing after inflation is considered....still a very expensive toy that takes a hugh commitment of funds to buy though.

· Registered
2,629 Posts
Also the electronics which includes total iPod integration, phone integration with voice control with AA, AC, ABS brakes, traction control, HSA, and engine modes all included for the same price as the 2003 Gold Wing after inflation is considered....still a very expensive toy that takes a hugh commitment of funds to buy though.
Agreed. . . as was an $18,000 dollar Gold Wing in 2003.

Tim

· Registered
3,464 Posts
A new Gold Wing MSRP was roughly 18k in 2003....that's 29,430 in 2023..so I guess the prices haven't really went up when you take inflation in account...but it sure seems like it has
Were people playing MSRP or above in 2003? I know for many years it was thousands less than MSRP. Also you could buy a year or two old bike brand new, for even more savings. Those days are gone.

Reactions: murf

· Registered
2,629 Posts
Were people playing MSRP or above in 2003? I know for may years it was thousands less than MSRP. Also you could buy a year or two old bike brand new, for even more savings. Those days are gone.
Well, it depends on where you live.

As I mentioned in another thread on this forum, I attended a dealer sponsored BMW motorcycle anniversary event in Edmonton a week ago. The dealer is a large multi-brand (BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) dealer.

The senior sales staff said new motorcycle inventories are building, and with peoples’ concern regarding inflation, the dealership is expecting a “tough” sales year, and they expect a sales environment in which they will be negotiating new bike sales at lower than MSRP.

Tim

· Registered
3,464 Posts
Well, it depends on where you live.

As I mentioned in another thread on this forum, I attended a dealer sponsored BMW motorcycle anniversary event in Edmonton a week ago. The dealer is a large multi-brand (BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) dealer.

The senior sales staff said new motorcycle inventories are building, and with peoples’ concern regarding inflation, the dealership is expecting a “tough” sales year, and they expect a sales environment in which they will be negotiating new bike sales at lower than MSRP.

Tim
I remember reading that post.

Here in the US I think it's pretty safe to say no one is paying below MSRP now. Comparing MSRP from today to 20 years ago, doesn't do much. People in the US were paying well under MSRP on many different bikes for many years prior to just a few years ago.That was the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: T-88

· Registered
2,629 Posts

Here in the US I think it's pretty safe to say no one is paying below MSRP now. Comparing MSRP from today to 20 years ago, doesn't do much. People in the US were paying well under MSRP on many different bikes for many years prior to just a few years ago.That was the point I was trying to make.
Ok. Comparing MSRP does have value as a relative comparator. I agree that MSRP and actual transaction values are different.

However, I agree with the salespersons’ opinions I referenced. Inflation concerns are causing many folks to be more cautious when expending large sums of money on hobbies such as motorcycling. That will reduce demand, which theoretically results in an increased supply of new motorcycles. That ought to be impetus for dealers to reduce their prices.

Tim

· Registered
89 Posts
Just priced out our local Honda dealership price on a 23 DCT up here in the great white north. Including dealer prep and documentation fee: $35,893 Canadian which works out to be $26,133 US.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Product

Attachments

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,425 Posts

A comparison of the MSRP from 20 years ago just shows the Gold Wing price from Honda hasn't changed all that much dispite the 2023 model offering so much more than the 2003 model offered.

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,425 Posts
Were people playing MSRP or above in 2003? I know for many years it was thousands less than MSRP. Also you could buy a year or two old bike brand new, for even more savings. Those days are gone.
Heck in late 2017 you could buy a 2018 6-speed for 22500 from Shroaders Honda in N.C. before they were even in the country yet. I doubt we will ever see the surplus of Gold Wings in the future anymore. They like the small inventory so they can sell at max profit...the good thing though is our Gold Wings hold their value much better now that Honda doesn't over produce and dump the excessive inventory into the market.

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,425 Posts
Does this fit on any 2018+ model? or 2023 only?
The custom seat from Honda will fit the 2018 to 2023 model...but Honda's custom seat was taken apart by Wingsoft and it was reported that it is no different than the OEM seat except for the seat cover with a slightly higher back part of the riders seat...and its doesn't have a cut out for a drivers backrest..if you don't like the OEM seat than more than likely you won't like the 1k dollar custom seat from Honda either...in other words it's an horrible seat and you could buy a RDL for the same money.

· Registered
2018 DCT
138 Posts
Heck in late 2017 you could buy a 2018 6-speed for 22500 from Shroaders Honda in N.C. before they were even in the country yet. I doubt we will ever see the surplus of Gold Wings in the future anymore. They like the small inventory so they can sell at max profit...the good thing though is our Gold Wings hold their value much better now that Honda doesn't over produce and dump the excessive inventory into the market.
I think they make too many for 2018 and that was the reason you could find NOS 2018’s well into 2020 for deep discounts.
When I started my hunt for a DCT bagger I found a couple of places that were $18-19k for 2018’s.

· Registered
2,629 Posts
I think they make too many for 2018 and that was the reason you could find NOS 2018’s well into 2020 for deep discounts.
When I started my hunt for a DCT bagger I found a couple of places that were $18-19k for 2018’s.
I respectfully disagree.

As I understand the all-new-for (insert model year) motorcycle market, entirely brand new motorcycles either fly off the shelves like the first year Africa Twin did, or receive a lukewarm reception, as the market is wary of the first year model and awaits longer term reports from owners to see if there are mechanical or engineering faults. I suspect the market was generally wary of the all new Wing, especially with how the DCT would work with a big block engine.

Tim

· Registered
2018 DCT
138 Posts
I respectfully disagree.

As I understand the all-new-for (insert model year) motorcycle market, entirely brand new motorcycles either fly off the shelves like the first year Africa Twin did, or receive a lukewarm reception, as the market is wary of the first year model and awaits longer term reports from owners to see if there are mechanical or engineering faults. I suspect the market was generally wary of the all new Wing, especially with how the DCT would work with a big block engine.

Tim
I am agreeing with you….. kinda.
Goldwings have never been big sellers or sought after unlike lots of other bikes and Honda thought the new one would be like the Africa Twin or even worse the Trail 125.

· Registered
2,629 Posts
Goldwings have never been big sellers or sought after unlike lots of other bikes and Honda thought the new one would be like the Africa Twin or even worse the Trail 125.
I’m not sure what you mean by “big sellers.” In my city (metropolitan population 1 million), there were 3 single outlet Honda powersports dealers pre-Covid. My dealer was selling 20-30 new Gold Wings annually, pre-Covid. That kinda seems like a big seller to me. I dunno.

As for the Trail 125, funny you should mention it. Honda Canada has finally introduced the Trail 125 to Canada for 2023; it’s not been available in Canada until this year, as it has in the United States. I understand many of the Trail 125s have been pre-sold.

Different countries, different markets.

Tim

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,425 Posts
Honda has made Gold Wings for 48 years now...I would say the Gold Wing has been a good selling motorcycle.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts