GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems like every once and a while someone here is doing some service on their bike and needs to order some regular service parts.
Many of us get special sale updates from venders on a regular basis.
The general thought many times is to get things when needed. Or, not to spend money when something is not yet needed. And this is perfectly alright.
But I have been a sceptic and forward planner most of my life. I think I get this from my parents who grew up in the depression. So this brings me to the notion I am posting here.

Looking at regular service parts, I have collected many items to have extra on hand starting when I bought my brand new 2005 GL 1800. Obvious things like oil and air filters. light bulbs and spark plugs. Then other more pricy items followed like brake pads, trike take off final drive, propeller or drive shaft, starter and reverse solenoids, relays, Left and Right mirror housings and glass, battery still stored dry, near new Windshield, fork seals and bushings, radio light bulbs, valve cover gaskets, rebuilt alternator from MARS..... and the list goes on. Some are excellent Used items.
It has taken me several years to accumulate these extra parts for the GL1800. Most parts will fit the 2001 - 2017. For the New 2018 - 19 it would be a whole new ball game!:wink2:
But the point of this, or at least my own justification... is the convenience of some of the things that can hold up a home service or mess up a trip if far from home and a service part is unavailable out there somewhere.
I posted elsewhere about when last year a friend had an alternator failure up in Idaho. He got to a dealer but the best they could do for his 2002 is order a replacement and that would take at least 6 days!:surprise: Instead he called me and I overnighted my spare Alt to him and he only lost 1 1/2 days of the 16 day trip up to Glacier National Park and Canada.
Another time a friend had a leaking fork seal. In just over two hours we had then both replaced and went for a lunch ride.

Another friend said that I must have quite an investment in spare parts on hand. True, but not that much. Say about the cost of the Honda CB and antenna accessory kit! However I accumulated these over several years and took advantage of sales. So it's not like I had dumped big bucks into making a personal parts supply!:shock: It's not a lost investment either. I can always sell these items for at least my cost right here or elsewhere, if that becomes the case.
I see these as an insurance and convenience policy. If a friend needs some service thing I have for his bike, here it is on hand as long as it's still replaceable. Fix the bike same day and order the part when convenient.

So there is my notion I wanted to share, and it works for me because I tend to hang onto things I really enjoy. At present this one is my 2016 Level 3 that I picked up spankin new last year with a smoking Honda discount! So I'm probably lookin at another decade at least with this bike.
In the mean time I'll keep an eye on how the New 2018 - 19 Goldwing performs and holds up. Yes, that one may be the next....... at least some day.

:capwin:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess you are luckier then me.

If I buy a bunch of spare parts the bike is gonna get totaled! Lost 4 vehicles that I can think of.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had my other bike (01 GL1800) for 18 years.... Of the parts you listed, I only needed the oil, filter, light bulbs and battery. Everything else you have would have been an investment that I would have to get rid of now that I have the 2018. That would be a big loss. Since I try to do all my maintenance before I travel, I allow myself time to order parts if needed. Besides... if I had a part on the shelf... you know darn well when you needed it, I wouldn't be able to find it until AFTER I went out and bought another one!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I was told by an experienced trike builder he can get almost any goldwing part in 24 hours by fedEx. I believe him he’s been building trikes and working on goldwings for decades. I won’t collect parts I can buy. I don’t like the clutter. I’ve scrapped out too much stuff cleaning out my parents estate (Depression era parents).

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
A couple other parts you may consider are the front brake and clutch switches. Seems they are getting harder to find for some reason.

And maybe the rear brake switches. In total about a $100 investment.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I keep a set of Bridgestones, brake pads, plugs, and air filter.

But I live an hour from the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts