GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a DS tire on an Intruder LC1500 and will probably go with one on my 2007 wing......I've been checking around the internet, but haven't had much luck. What tire is the closest to the stock MC tire size wise and where are they available at?

I thought of another thing....with the old intruder, getting the tire to seat was hard....It took around 100 PSI to get it to seat. Is this a problem with the GW rims?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I had a DS tire on an Intruder LC1500 and will probably go with one on my 2007 wing......I've been checking around the internet, but haven't had much luck. What tire is the closest to the stock MC tire size wise and where are they available at?

I thought of another thing....with the old intruder, getting the tire to seat was hard....It took around 100 PSI to get it to seat. Is this a problem with the GW rims?

Thanks
On seating the tire to the rim: GW rims are more like a car rim than a MC rim. My Kumho 195/55/16 run flat popped out and seated at about 45lbs or so, the front battlax took about 60lbs to pop it out and seal.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Some bike rims do not lend themselves to the use of tires other than those made by the manufacturer. I suppose if I was getting up to 100 psi or higher to seat a bead, I would run!! If that thing ever blew up, might ruin my day.

This is not a situation with the 1800. It is a bike that is made for the CT. Everything works, it is all good.

Kit

·
Registered
248 Posts
You'll have no problem since the safety bead construction on a GL wheel is identical to that of a car rim.

I speak from experience, and here's one you might like to hear...

I used to fit tyres for a living for many years. We used antiquated machinery and a compressor that should have been in the Smithsonian even then.

To inflate an average car or bike tyre took a while since the tank had an air leak so the pump itself was running almost constantly to keep up with the demand of the air tools et al.

My mate, being a lazy git, used to seat the bead on the rim, then put a bungee around the air line trigger, go off light a cigarette, have a few puffs then come back and check the pressure.

Most of the time he got away with it. On this day, I had gone next door to the deli for a sandwich, so there were no air tools other than the air line in use, meaning it had the undivided attention of the compressor.

I heard the bang and thump from the deli next door.

When I came running back in, my mate, cigarette stuck to his open lips was standing, whiter than Michael Jackson, staring at the hole in the ceiling from which the air line hose and half a wheel were embedded.

Once we got it down and apologized to the lady who rented the apartment upstairs we could see the damage.

The sidewall of the tyre had failed, and looked like it was shredded radially from the bead to the shoulder as if by some demented butcher.

It would have severed anything in it's path had my mate been in the way.

The patch is still in the ceiling and can be viewed in WS Tyremasters, on the corner of Coldharbor Lane and Minet Drive in Hayes Middlesex.

The max pressure our compressor was regulated too was 80 psi for truck tyres...........

Just thought you might be interested.. :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts